The Student Room Group

Men and women are not the same

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I think women should deserve more respect, and appreciate the fact that they are women for a reason
Reply 61
Original post by zubz91
I think women should deserve more respect, and appreciate the fact that they are women for a reason

Could you elaborate? What reason are you referring to?
I don't know. I don't think in many areas men and women are treated equally, even today in developed countries. For the most part I see nothing wrong with not being treated equally, rather we should treat people so that they are equals (slight difference).

A simple example is women's sport. If we were to treat them equally then surely they should be included in the male leagues. In many sports they would be totally outclassed while in others, like rugby, they would be severely beaten and physically damaged. So in this case, today, we do not treat them equally but instead so that they are observed to be equals. Women have a series of divisions in their leagues and can get the most prestigious prizes in their versions, while men have theirs.
Reply 63
Original post by yomomalomo
I don't know. I don't think in many areas men and women are treated equally, even today in developed countries. For the most part I see nothing wrong with not being treated equally, rather we should treat people so that they are equals (slight difference).

A simple example is women's sport. If we were to treat them equally then surely they should be included in the male leagues. In many sports they would be totally outclassed while in others, like rugby, they would be severely beaten and physically damaged. So in this case, today, we do not treat them equally but instead so that they are observed to be equals. Women have a series of divisions in their leagues and can get the most prestigious prizes in their versions, while men have theirs.

Great point.
Reply 64
The point that most people try to make is exactly the point you are trying to make now: Women can't expect to be treated the same as men, we are completely different.
There are times when being a women is convenient, and there are times when being a man is convenient.

There is little sexism around, compared to a few decades ago: we have successfully fought it. I really don't think there's any real reason to keep on fighting, like all feminists do.
Unfortunately, there still are a few sexist guys around, but they have no real say in society, and I really think they're missing out to be honest: girls are amazing.
I'm not going to generalise and say that I definitely wouldn't hit a woman back if she hit me.

It all depends on how threatened I am. If a 7ft, 300 pound woman attacked me then yes, I'd hit her back but if a 5ft, 100 pound girl hit me I'd just walk away and take nothing from it, maybe having to restrain her if she kept going. At the same time, if a 5ft, 100 pound man attacked me I'd do the exact same thing. There's no reason to hit anyone back except for self-defence so it only matters if you're threatened. It just so happens that men tend to be more physically capable than women so more often than not they'll be getting hit back.

EDIT:

Even with that, girls of the same weight as a guy will probably not be a strong with him. Girls store way more fat (in breasts, bum, legs etc.) then men do. Women often have far less muscle and strength than many men perceive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
What? Really?
Original post by tite23
See, when you bring the word "equally" into the discussion, it makes it sound like I don't want men and women to be treated as equal beings. We're both equally important, deserve equal rights, etc. What I'm saying is men and women are not the same. Those "different genitals" that you guys are trivializing actually do make a difference.

The known differences I've observed in men and women tend to be more pronounced masculinity (boldness, assertiveness, aggression, etc) in men, and more pronounced femininity (gentleness, sensitivity, "girly"ness, quiet grace, etc) in women. Sounds sexist or stereotypical, but it's true to some degree in every case. Men and women also have unique sense of humors with obvious overlaps. I act differently around fellow females than I do around males; I can talk about certain topics I wouldn't usually bring up around guys. Do you act exactly the same around girls as you do around guys? Honestly curious; I'm not trying to attack you in any way.

None of this means I think one gender is superior to the other, or that one should be able to hit the other without consequences. It just means I feel we are different - and we are. It's not a bad thing.

Well I agree with OP. Men and women are different; not better not worse but just different. :colondollar: And has anybody here read the book 'Why women can't read maps and men don't listen" by Allan and Barbara pease????
Reply 68
I think the OP's logic is bad. If a scrawny guy hits a massive guy and gets knocked out many people would say that it serves him right. So your average girl hits your average guy - the difference in strength between this example and the previous one may be the same - but if the guy defends himself it is seen as bad. What's the difference?
Original post by tite23
This was inspired by the "Men: If a woman hit you, would you hit her back?" thread.

Mainly because the typical response to this question was "Yeah, if they want equal rights then they got 'em!!"

Is it so hard to understand that equal rights under the law does not mean that men and women are exactly the same? Please note, I'm in no way saying that women should be allowed to hit men without consequence - that's ridiculous. I was just a little disheartened to read how eager males (and females!) were to treat women exactly the same as men. Disregarding chivalry and propriety and all those niceties which I suppose are dead - women are weaker than men, statistically speaking. I would refrain from hitting anyone, male or female, if he/she could not take a hit. Most women cannot take a hit from a man; most men can take a hit from a woman.

But that's really beside the point. None of us should worry about striking a member of the opposite gender in the first place. What I'd like to know is, do you truly consider men and women exactly the same? Do you consider a woman who swears and boasts and swaggers any more uncouth than a man who does the same? Do you believe in treating young girls exactly the same as young boys, teenage girls just the same as teenage boys, etc?

tl;dr - Do equal rights for men and women mean that men and women should be regarded as exactly the same? (Not under the law; in society/interpersonal relationships.)

EDIT: Guys, I'm not really too focused on men hitting women and vice-versa. If you notice, I said nobody should be hitting anyone. Please address the bit in bold? And Merry Christmas :tongue:

Answer: You should behave towards someone varies on a case by case basis. For instance, you may have a friend who likes a little banter, in which case you can say things to them you might not say to another friend. Often this correlates with gender, but not always.
Reply 70
Original post by pgreg1
I think the OP's logic is bad. If a scrawny guy hits a massive guy and gets knocked out many people would say that it serves him right. So your average girl hits your average guy - the difference in strength between this example and the previous one may be the same - but if the guy defends himself it is seen as bad. What's the difference?

"I would refrain from hitting anyone, male or female, if he/she could not take a hit. Most women cannot take a hit from a man; most men can take a hit from a woman."

Seems like allot of people never read the OP :/
Original post by Kazbian
Ideally, I think men and women should be treated as similarly as possible. A lot of gender differences are at least partially down to different social norms, expectations etc for each gender, and I think these differences should be kept fairly low.

However, I realise that men and women fundamentally aren't the same. Like you've already said, nobody should be hitting anyone, but you should use the force needed to defend yourself regardless of gender, race etc. Less force is needed to defend yourself against a woman, so you shouldn't be using the same as you would for a man.

For the most part though, men and women should be treated the same. Yes, men and women are different, but there's a hell of a lot of overlap. On average men are more physically aggressive than women, but that doesn't mean there aren't aggressive women. These women shouldn't be seen as worse than a male with their level of aggression just because they are female. Yes, men on average are physically stronger than women, but that doesn't mean that if a certain woman is just as strong as the man, he still has to treat her like the average woman. She shouldn't be seen or treated as weaker than a male with her strength just because she is female. Following that, men on average do swear and boast more than women. However, if a woman does that the same amount as a certain male, she shouldn't be viewed as worse than him just because she's female.

Anyway, I'm not saying that's how people view men/women. It'd be a bit naive to think men aren't judge worse for some things and women aren't judged worse for others. I'm just saying I don't think this should be the case.

Very coherent :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending