The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mocking_bird
Of course :lol:.
Today has been a long day :no:

Haha :smile: is this your last exam?
Reply 1181
is it just me or has anyone else found the jan 2012 the easiest paper of them all?
With the Sodium halide reactions with h2so4, have you all learnt the exact equations or do you just know what products form/colour changes and reduction/oxidation products in all of them?

And can someone enlighten me about how we distinguish between BaCl2 and MgCl2, are just supposed to know that BaSO4 forms a white ppt with sulfuric acid?
Original post by puresse
what is the industrial production of ethene to ethanol? isit just the hydration of ethene with conc acid catalyst ( H2SO4 )

Do we need to know about slag? The NT book skips over it. Also, what is an alkylhydrogensulphate and do we need to know it? (working off the a level chemistry revision checklist here)
Original post by stoppy123
Haha :smile: is this your last exam?

Nope!
Maths D1 thursday morning and Geography in the afternoon. :shot:
Reply 1186

thanks
You didn't reply to my other post :frown:

Sorry, I was away from the laptop and when I came back I only read the most recent posts. I never really bother checking back because I'm arrogant like that and don't feel these fools could help me.

You know I'm joking, but let's see if someone is trigger happy on the -rep today.

And actually, you only really need to know that the continuous process is using crude oil and that the batch process is using carbohydrates. The advantages and disadvantages of each being whether fast or slow, non-renewable or renewable, pure or non-pure and inexpensive and expensive.

Edit: Someone took the bait. Too bad it has no impact on my reputation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Xiomara
Do we need to know about slag? The NT book skips over it. Also, what is an alkylhydrogensulphate and do we need to know it? (working off the a level chemistry revision checklist here)

The alkylhydrogen sulphate is whats formed when you hydrate an Alkene with h2so4 catalyst, but that alkylhydorgensulphate is what is formed before the alcohol ( i think )
Original post by Xiomara

Alkylhydrogensulphate is what you get from the electrophilic addition with sulphuric acid.

You also need to know the hydrolysis reaction for alkylhydrogensulphate to make ethanol.
Original post by Xiomara

No, we don't need to know about slag.
Reply 1191

what about phosphoric acid?
Nope!
Maths D1 thursday morning and Geography in the afternoon. :shot:

Ahh, I've got this, and then 2 psychology exams :confused:

How'd you find the bio??
Original post by Tullia
Sorry, I was away from the laptop and when I came back I only read the most recent posts. I never really bother checking back because I'm arrogant like that and don't feel these fools could help me.

You know I'm joking, but let's see if someone is trigger happy on the -rep today.

And actually, you only really need to know that the continuous process is using crude oil and that the batch process is using carbohydrates. The advantages and disadvantages of each being whether fast or slow, non-renewable or renewable, pure or non-pure and inexpensive and expensive.

Oh okay, so just for the fementation and direct hydration then?

The notes I had were on the extraction of metals stuff.
So we definitely dont need to know if its batch or continuous for each of those?
Original post by poopnoddy
The alkylhydrogen sulphate is whats formed when you hydrate an Alkene with h2so4 catalyst, but that alkylhydorgensulphate is what is formed before the alcohol ( i think )

Alkylhydrogensulphate is what you get from the electrophilic addition with sulphuric acid.

You also need to know the hydrolysis reaction for alkylhydrogensulphate to make ethanol.

Oh, excellent. OK, I can do that reaction, just never named the intermediate :tongue: Haha.

Original post by Tullia
No, we don't need to know about slag.

*happy dances*
Reply 1195
anyone got the mark scheme for the jan 2012 chem 2 exam?
Original post by Lauramayxxxx
So in this example...

TiCl4(g) + 4Na(I) ----> 4NaCl(s) + Ti(s)

The question says, what is the role of the sodium?
I got the answer right that it was a reducing agent, but is this because it's going from 0 to +1? Or is it due to it reducing titanium!? :s :boring:

Well both I think. It's been oxidised itself, and has reduced the titanium, meaning it's a reducing agent :smile:
So in this example...

I got the answer right that it was a reducing agent, but is this because it's going from 0 to +1? Or is it due to it reducing titanium!? :s :boring:

Reducing agent, is an electron donor.

That means, it's given it's electrons to the titanium, which has oxidised the titanium, as it has donated it's electrons, the Na has gone from 0 to +1
Reply 1198
So in this example...

Both of your statements are correct. The reducing agent gets oxidised (so the oxidation state before reaction goes up after the reaction), the other "thing" (i.e. the TiCl4) gets reduced as Ti's oxidation state is +4 before reaction and 0 after reaction.
Original post by stoppy123
Ahh, I've got this, and then 2 psychology exams :confused:

How'd you find the bio??

Good luck for them! :smile: (& chemistry too of course)

Biology was decent, made a slip up on calculating the cell cycle Q and a few others but overall I think it went well :smile:
How did you find it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending