Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chihiro94)
    Niether have we. Does anyone have any examples or guidance? I want to go ahead and start (I really don't trust my teacher)
    lets go through this essay "Transfer Through Ecosystem"

make a plan - jot down all points

2nd Expand on your points.

lets start cracking

An ecosystem comprises all the interactions between all the biotic (living) and abiotic (non-living) features in a given area at a given time. When these features interact, chemical elements, materials and energy are transferred and flow through the various components. This essay will describe these transfers with an emphasis on compounds of carbon, nitrogen, water and energy.

1st paragraph define ecosystem, collate all the points you'll include the rest of your essay in this paragraph.

from the definition, there is abiotic factor that is transferred through ecosystem, expand now,
    abiotic factor for instance light
    +Light-->absorbed by chlorophyll-->excites e- to high energy level-->ATP formed-->NADPH formed through photolsys-->photlysis replaces the lost e.

+ATP and NADPH used in light independent-->to reduce GP to TP--> TP forms glucose & regenerates RUBP.

+Glucose is used as respiratory substance in the intestinal epithelium-->provide energy for Na-Glucose co-transport-->glucose enters through carrier protein channel using facilitated diffusion into blood.

+In the cytoplasm glucose is phosphorylated to TP-->2 ATP and H produced-->pyruvate formed penetrates to mitochondria if o2 present, if not lactate/alcohol in plants is formed.
    pyruvate-->Acetyl CoA, CO2 and H released--> 4C Oxaloacetate combines with 2C Acetyl CoA to Form 6C Citrate in the kreb Cycle.
    all the H combines with NAD and FAD to form FADH and NADH.-->this is used in ETC where e- transported through channel proteins in redox reaction-->ATP forms

+Describe how N2 from the air is used to form No3 and explain how this is transferred to the plants.

+How water is absorbed from roots through apoplastic and symplastic pathway to xylem and into the leaves.

hope that helps, if you have questions ask
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Results day tomorrow, it should hopefully give me a kick up the butt so I'll actually do work this time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone retaking Biol4 as well as this unit
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ned6494)
    Is anyone retaking Biol4 as well as this unit
    im doing bio2 bio4 and bio5
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingam)
    Bio 2 and 5. I guess a little silver lining is that we'd have had to have known them for essay anyway. :/
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chihiro94)
    Bio 2 and 5. I guess a little silver lining is that we'd have had to have known them for essay anyway. :/
    yh i suppose so i have had it to be fair what did you get in bio4 then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yh i suppose so i have had it to be fair what did you get in bio4 then
    82 ums. I wouldn't have really wanted to resit anyway, it's the day after my birthday, and I'm pretty sure I'd be in no fit state for a morning exam
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Same here, bit worried about the essay for Unit 5 but at least I'll still know things from Unit 4 and 2 to help me
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/

try this site guys it got a useful BIO section with all the past paper questions organised into topic based packs, but the papers section isn't fully uploaded yet.

http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/packs5.html
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got an A in biol4 but im SO worried about biol5. How am i supposed to revise for the essay, like I have to know everything from the syllabus?
    Are you guys going to revise the previous units then too?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing BIOL4 and BIOL5 in June
    I've not started working for unit 5 yet, I'm just finishing up inheritance for unit 4, I'm hoping to start the unit five stuff next week.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    Got an A in biol4 but im SO worried about biol5. How am i supposed to revise for the essay, like I have to know everything from the syllabus?
    Are you guys going to revise the previous units then too?
    Yes, I've already made revision notes for Unit 1 and have the ones from Unit 4, just need to make Unit 2 notes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A in BIOL4, I'm hating BIOL5 essays though! I haven't done a single essay since GCSE
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love BIOL 5.(so far), Getting As in my muscles and nervous system tests in class :ahee:

edit- get a life whoever negged
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    I love BIOL 5.(so far), Getting As in my muscles and nervous system tests in class :ahee:
    Unit 5 is awesome, much more interesting than Unit 4. Not looking forward to the essay though.. need to learn Unit 1, 2 and 4 again.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who doesn't know... 40/100 marks on the Unit 5 paper are synoptic. :sad:
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutterFrutter)
    For anyone who doesn't know... 40/100 marks on the Unit 5 paper are synoptic. :sad:
    Wasn't it just the essay? I need to go through a paper to really see it, I've only gone June 2010 one. Has anyone got access to the June 2011 one?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    Wasn't it just the essay? I need to go through a paper to really see it, I've only gone June 2010 one. Has anyone got access to the June 2011 one?
    No, it's not just the essay. I think I either read it on the specification or on an examiners report that 40 of the marks are synoptic.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutterFrutter)
    No, it's not just the essay. I think I either read it on the specification or on an examiners report that 40 of the marks are synoptic.
    Ah okay, thanks for letting me know! I'm going through the paper now and seeing if it is and I'll have a look at the examiner's report.

How'd Unit 4 go for you?

I have no idea how to start to prepare for the synoptic essay :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a data analysis part, kinda like a mega how science works worth 15 marks!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2013
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.