The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by masterhr1
Does anyone know which papers from the old spec match up with the content in BIOL5??

I think most old spec if not all does match up but the questions are just different styles, I find them a lot harder so it is good practice!
Reply 881
Original post by handsome7654
No I mean doesn't temporal summation occurs for cones??

I don't think so, otherwise we would be able to see in full colour at night

Original post by Bluewinds
Isn't that Spatial summation? Temporal is repeated impulses through one neurone while Spatial is several neurones providing impulses.

I put Spatial summation in my original post.
Reply 882
Original post by Erotas
Hey, are there any notes like this for unit 1? Thanks

Nope sorry. :frown:
Hi, i just had a quick question. There is this essay book, not sure if you've read it, but it has about 20 essays in it. The standard they have been written to are really high i think.But my question is, sometimes the writter waffles abit in the essays, do we just write straight to the point or try to write it the way that writter has ://
Original post by JJMick
I don't think so, otherwise we would be able to see in full colour at night

Temp summation is one to one as opposed to spatial which is many to one.
Rods are many to one neurone, while cones are one to one. So in that sense wouldnt it be temporal summation for cones?
Original post by umair.khan
Hi, i just had a quick question. There is this essay book, not sure if you've read it, but it has about 20 essays in it. The standard they have been written to are really high i think.But my question is, sometimes the writter waffles abit in the essays, do we just write straight to the point or try to write it the way that writter has ://

Yh I have that book as well just remember those are supposed to be example of essays which would receive 25 marks..

Yh ive noticed he does but I think that at other times he is very concise and to the point summing up things which it takes me 3-4 lines in 1 or 2. I think his waffling is more to do with him trying to show how to use your knowledge to expand on a topic which sometimes seems very narrow. Also AQA do say that the essay should be a few pages.

In my opinion everyone has a different style as long as u are covering you points using coorect terminology and demonstrating your knowledge ans well as your breath and have got decent marks in essays marked by your teacher then dont try and radically cange your style as tbh it will make u more nervous and probably in the exam under stress you will give urself the hassle of trying to modify your natural style
Reply 886
Original post by NutterFrutter
There isn't much point in marking the essays you write, just make sure you can write a lot and cover a lot of different points. I wouldn't know how examiners actually mark the essays, they go to many standardisation meetings where they discuss marking. Generally, the first thing they look at is the length of the essay.

Aah I didn't know that. Do you know if they care a lot about the structure of the essay? I try to be fancy and group different units under common paragraphs but it can be quite difficult sometimes, if i just wrote about all the different topics say in the order they appear in the spec would that be bad?
fml, haven't learnt about meiosis, mitosis, cell cycle, crossing of chromosomes.

I might have to take a strategic gamble and not learn them. Simply haven't got the time for it..
Reply 888
Original post by James A
fml, haven't learnt about meiosis, mitosis, cell cycle, crossing of chromosomes.

I might have to take a strategic gamble and not learn them. Simply haven't got the time for it..

Yeah me to - i figured, since DNA and Technology came up last year, it's highly unlikely to come up again. The only thing directly related that could come up is variation / communication of information. I also find that explaining genetics requires more lines that other topics and takes more time to think about expressing yourself correctly. If I can answer the other question, I'd rather not write about it anyway... :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ecokid
Yeah me to - i figured, since DNA and Technology came up last year, it's highly unlikely to come up again. The only thing directly related that could come up is variation / communication of information. I also find that explaining genetics requires more lines that other topics and takes more time to think about expressing yourself correctly. If I can answer the other question, I'd rather not write about it anyway... :biggrin:

Yep, looking back at the previous titles that came up:

The causes of disease in humans.

Carbon dioxide may affect organisms directly or indirectly. Describe and explain these effects.

Using DNA in science and technology

A cycle is a biological pathway or process in which the end product of one cycle
becomes the starting point for the next cycle. Write an essay about cycles in biology.

---------------------------------------------------------------

So i think something related to:

inorganic ions

ATP (:colone:)

Proteins and carbohydrates.

Movement of ions/molecules via different mechanisms (active transport, osmosis etc)
Reply 890
Original post by James A
Yep, looking back at the previous titles that came up:

The causes of disease in humans.

Carbon dioxide may affect organisms directly or indirectly. Describe and explain these effects.

Using DNA in science and technology

A cycle is a biological pathway or process in which the end product of one cycle
becomes the starting point for the next cycle. Write an essay about cycles in biology.

---------------------------------------------------------------

So i think something related to:

inorganic ions

ATP (:colone:)

Proteins and carbohydrates.

Movement of ions/molecules via different mechanisms (active transport, osmosis etc)

I'd say those are great guesses! Although thematically, they're all biochemistry based - i'm guessing that you also study and enjoy Chemistry? :tongue:
I think the second question will be more ecological/biological in nature. I'd be suprised if AQA sets two heavily based biochemistry questions together.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 891
Original post by ecokid
I'd say those are great guesses! Although thematically, they're all biochemistry based - i'm guessing that you also study and enjoy Chemistry? :tongue:
I think the second question will be more ecological/biological in nature. I'd be suprised if AQA sets two heavily based biochemistry questions together.

That is very true. I think one will be about biochemistry like ATP, proteins etc and there will a second one with about energy transfer in ecosystems or variation
People!!

How do you know whether you need to use pitfall traps OR mark-release-recapture OR quadrats, to measure the population of a species?
Reply 893
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
People!!

How do you know whether you need to use pitfall traps OR mark-release-recapture OR quadrats, to measure the population of a species?

Pitfalls are actually not specifically in the specification. They only appear if a question asks how you'd carry out mark/recapture/release as they are a method used to carry it out. Mark/recapture/release is for mobile/elusive organisms, which is pretty much any wild animal; quadrats are used for plants/stationary organisms.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ecokid
Pitfalls are actually not specifically in the specification. They only appear if a question asks how you'd carry out mark/recapture/release as they are a method used to carry it out. Mark/recapture/release is for mobile/elusive organisms, which is pretty much any wild animal; quadrats are used for plants/stationary organisms.

Thank you! :smile:

Also, what do we need to know about cAMP and the 2nd messenger model ?
Any ideas of what you could write for these essay titles:

OSMOSIS AND ITS IMPORTANCE

WRITE AN ARGUMENT FOR AND AGAINST STEM CELLS AND THEIR USE TO BENEFIT HUMANS.

I can't find enough to write for these two
Reply 896
I dunno about the rest of you guys n gals but... I'm bricking it.
Reply 897
Original post by Bugsy
The anti codons are AGC UUC. They are complementary to the mRNA sequence which would be UCG AAG right? Now mRNA sequence is complementary to the DNA sequence, except the fact that uracil is not present, instead it's thymine. So if we go complementary again you would get AGC and TTC. So in actual fact the DNA sequence and tRNA sequence are the same EXCEPT for the uracil/thymine changes. Hope that makes sense :smile:

I understand what your saying but i think the mark schem is wrong because if you think about it there are two strands of DNA one coding strand and one template strand. mRNA is synthesized from transcription of the template strand. But the question is asking for the corresponding section of bases on the DNA coding strand.

This is the theory behind my answer see below

AGC UUC - the two anticodons
UCG AAG - the mRNA codons
AGC TTC - the sequence of bases on the template strand of DNA
TCG AAG - the sequence of bases on the DNA coding strand

Now if we were to go along with the answers according to thomas reddington and work back wards we would get two different anticodons.

Do you understand what i mean.

Thanks for your help this is just so frustrating im convinced im right!!!!!
Reply 898
Original post by dc2012
I understand what your saying but i think the mark schem is wrong because if you think about it there are two strands of DNA one coding strand and one template strand. mRNA is synthesized from transcription of the template strand. But the question is asking for the corresponding section of bases on the DNA coding strand.

This is the theory behind my answer see below

AGC UUC - the two anticodons
UCG AAG - the mRNA codons
AGC TTC - the sequence of bases on the template strand of DNA
TCG AAG - the sequence of bases on the DNA coding strand

Now if we were to go along with the answers according to thomas reddington and work back wards we would get two different anticodons.

Do you understand what i mean.

Thanks for your help this is just so frustrating im convinced im right!!!!!

Can you type out the actual question? I see what you're doing, the only difference being you are going complementary to the DNA template strand again at the end, which is what is giving you a different answer. I've honestly never seen them want the complementary strand to the template strand. I believe you just have to assume they are asking for the one strand that the mRNA was made from and then the tRNA. So you don't do the very last step you did, again I could be wrong but I've never come across anything different, and haven't had any trouble with these questions.
Reply 899
Original post by Bugsy
Can you type out the actual question? I see what you're doing, the only difference being you are going complementary to the DNA template strand again at the end, which is what is giving you a different answer. I've honestly never seen them want the complementary strand to the template strand. I believe you just have to assume they are asking for the one strand that the mRNA was made from and then the tRNA. So you don't do the very last step you did, again I could be wrong but I've never come across anything different, and haven't had any trouble with these questions.

Yeah sure the actual question is on page 234 in the nelson thornes book question 2a>>>>>>>>

Figure 1 shows the exposed bases (anticodons) of two tRNA molecules involved in the synthesis of a protein. Complete the boxes to show the sequence of bases found along the corresponding section of the coding DNA strand.

FIGURE 1
AGC >>
UUC>>

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending