The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by NinjaRikki
Can anyone expand on what I wrote for this essay, "The role of movement of substances across membranes in the functions of organs and systems"

So far what I wrote about which was 3 sides, so enough but I just want a few more possible topics I could have used. Mine were; Absorption of water and nitrates etc with expansion of water movement across cortex and endodermis to xylem. Then how water enters mesophyll cells and into chloroplasts, used in the LDR by water photolysis etc. Then how they use glucose from cells to produce starch to form biomass. I then linked the paragraphs, by consumers eating plant etc glucose absorbed in intestine by co-transport etc. Then brief detail on respiration and discussing H+ ion movement across mitochondria membrane produce ATP via ATP synthase etc. Then I talked about neurones at neuromuscular junction, movement of Na+ to form AP and then neurotransmitter movement across membranes transmits impulse to a muscle fibre where this allows muscles to carry out function of contraction etc. Then my final point was oestrogen movement across membrane (phospholipid) to bind to receptor site on transcriptional factor to then remove inhibitor etcetc to stimulate trancription of gene, then why its important etcetc. SO ALL THIS IN A LOT MORE DETAIL :biggrin: (Like writing the essay again!)

So yeah any more ideas??

I did this essay, I managed to get in all of the four units in 45 mins :smile:

The only thing I would add to this would be about gas exchange in the lungs - Oxygen diffusing from the alveoli across the alveolar and capillary epithelia and into the haemoglobin in the blood.
Original post by JJMick

The only thing I would add to this would be about gas exchange in the lungs - Oxygen diffusing from the alveoli across the alveolar and capillary epithelia and into the haemoglobin in the blood.

I did that :smile: Just didn't write ALL my essay :smile: took me 45 mins as well, so essay prep is going well. What do you need in unit 5 UMS wise to get into uni?
Original post by JJMick

And where I included it, was after I spoke about H+ ions diffusing through ATP synthase by chemiosmosis to form many ATP, and then H+ ions react with electrons from ETC and O2 which enters lungs by inhalation of air, enters alveoli, diffuses across alveolar epithelium then capillary endothelium and into blood and then across red blood cell membrane where it binds to Fe2+ ions on haemoglobin. It is then transported to respiring cell where O2 released due to high CO2 level and diffuses across cell membrane across mitocondrial double membrane where it acts as final acceptor. Then I said why this is important for continuity if aerobic respiration, by it preventing coenzymes being re-reduced. Then what both of us said :smile: where did you incorporate it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Can anyone expand on what I wrote for this essay, "The role of movement of substances across membranes in the functions of organs and systems"

So far what I wrote about which was 3 sides, so enough but I just want a few more possible topics I could have used. Mine were; Absorption of water and nitrates etc with expansion of water movement across cortex and endodermis to xylem. Then how water enters mesophyll cells and into chloroplasts, used in the LDR by water photolysis etc. Then how they use glucose from cells to produce starch to form biomass. I then linked the paragraphs, by consumers eating plant etc glucose absorbed in intestine by co-transport etc. Then brief detail on respiration and discussing H+ ion movement across mitochondria membrane produce ATP via ATP synthase etc. Then I talked about neurones at neuromuscular junction, movement of Na+ to form AP and then neurotransmitter movement across membranes transmits impulse to a muscle fibre where this allows muscles to carry out function of contraction etc. Then my final point was oestrogen movement across membrane (phospholipid) to bind to receptor site on transcriptional factor to then remove inhibitor etcetc to stimulate trancription of gene, then why its important etcetc. SO ALL THIS IN A LOT MORE DETAIL :biggrin: (Like writing the essay again!)

So yeah any more ideas??

I would also have mentioned the cholera toxin, and how it leads to dehydration.
Could someone link me to the ms for the specimen paper?

I can't seem to find it :/
Reply 945
What do you need in unit 5 UMS wise to get into uni?

Well I need 106 at the most in unit 5 for an A overall (and i need an A for my firm choice - Biomedicine at UEA), however I resat unit 2 and I thought that went really well so I could need less than 106 if I improve my unit 2 score.

I am just going to go for an A though as I think I can get one in this unit :smile:

How about yourself?
Reply 946
Can anyone tell me in detail what the ribosome does in protein synthesis... I don't understand it unless its detailed lol thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by xcristalx
Can anyone tell me in detail what the ribosome does in protein synthesis... I don't understand it unless its detailed lol thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

It provides a site where amino acids can be bonded together in the right order to form a specific polypeptide (protein):

-The mRNA moves through the ribosome, one codon at a time.
-As each codon is presented inside the ribosome, a tRNA molecule with a complementary anticodon will temporarily attach to the ribosome and deposit the amino acid that it carries. After the amino acid has been deposited, the tRNA molecule moves away from the ribosome.
-The codon on the mRNA codes for the amino acid that the tRNA deposits.
-As the mRNA continues to move through the ribosome, more amino acids are deposited, and are bonded to the previous amino acid via peptide linkages.

Biology is killing me slowly, one bullet point at a time :s-smilie:
Any ideas on what to write for "DNA and information transmission"?
Reply 949
Original post by JessChappers01
How is everyone revising for the essay considering its synoptic!
are people revising important topics from all units or just going in with unit 5 knowledge and hoping they remeber other topics haha

any help would be much appreciated ..

im just reading through the spec and anything im 100% clueless on, im just reading over.......
not learning, just reading over...

that seems to be going O.K for me.... :smile:
Reply 950
Original post by IamBeowulf
Could someone link me to the ms for the specimen paper?

I can't seem to find it :/

Here you are :smile:

http://www.thomas-reddington.com/uploads/7/7/8/3/778329/bio_u5_ms_specimen.pdf
Reply 951
I think a possible essay title could be:

The evolution of animals.

Which could link in a load about meiosis, genetic bottlenecks, speciation and mutations as such.

But I hope both of them aren't environmental based, because I like unit 1 and 5 and not unit 2 and 4 :P
Original post by swiftylol
Any ideas on what to write for "DNA and information transmission"?

structure of dna - dexoyribose - phosphate etc..
semi conservative replication in late interphase
mitosis - vertical gene transmission
meiosis - importance of meiosis - variation
transcription - splicing - translation
bacteria - horizontal gene transmission - vertical gene transmission
you could also just cover abit of gene technology there - sousing restriction enzymes and plasmid to incorporate gene etc... - but don't solely focus alot on this point.

That's all i can remember from the top of my head, i'm sure others can come up with a few points :biggrin:
Is there and if so, does anyone have a copy of the Jan 2012 paper for BIOL5?

Thanks

Original post by uzumaki1107
Is there and if so, does anyone have a copy of the Jan 2012 paper for BIOL5?

I think you can only sit unit 5 in June
Thanks

I think you can only sit unit 5 in June

oh right, thankss :smile:
Original post by JJMick
Well I need 106 at the most in unit 5 for an A overall (and i need an A for my firm choice - Biomedicine at UEA), however I resat unit 2 and I thought that went really well so I could need less than 106 if I improve my unit 2 score.

I am just going to go for an A though as I think I can get one in this unit :smile:

How about yourself?

Same I retook unit 2 as well! Got 119 before, hoping for more! I messed up the antibiotic question though :/ What did you get in unit 2 before?

I need same you in unit 5 as well! Yeah unit 5 is brilliant! All medicine-related stuff, and not all plants which is good. Yeah aiming for 140UMS in this :O I will try anyway!

To get an A for my medicine offer at Newcastle University :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Same I retook unit 2 as well! Got 119 before, hoping for more! I messed up the antibiotic question though :/ What did you get in unit 2 before?

I need same you in unit 5 as well! To get an A for my medicine offer at Newcastle University :biggrin:

off topic but... 810 in AR in the ukcat?! Bloody hell well done!
does anyone have a good definition for a tactic response or a kinetic response (the one in the revision guide is crap)
Reply 959
does anyone have a good definition for a tactic response or a kinetic response (the one in the revision guide is crap)

A what? :eek: Do you mean the definition of taxes and kinesis by any chance :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending