The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nmudz_009
Anyone got the 2012 jan paper and mark scheme?

paper 5 is only done in june unfortunately
Anyone got the 2012 jan paper and mark scheme?

there'es no Jan paper for unit 5
Reply 1382
I live in manchestaaaaa...lol And I find it jokes how people on tsr are always comparing the north and south of the country as though they're different countries. people from London sometimes say "up norff" haha. You?

North Yorkshire man myself, never been to Manchester but I find the accent amusing; no offense intended :wink:
Im doing this exam independantly, does anyone have any extra questions they can send me? like those zig zag papers?
drop a pm!
if youve got a paypal account, I can set cash your way too :smile:
Reply 1384
Anyone any predictions for the essay?? I've looked at some past ones and they seem to repeat from the old spec aswell, nitrogen has come up and carbon both twice aswell as the cause of disease in humans.
Reply 1385
Also anyone have any tips on what to look at at the previous units? I don't want to waste my time looking at that when I could just focus on this unit but I know I have to because of the synoptic rubbish!!!! Anyone any help towards what specific key points there are within each topic?
Original post by JJMick
North Yorkshire man myself, never been to Manchester but I find the accent amusing; no offense intended :wink:

You've never been to Manc before? you're a rarity then :tongue: lol, but the north is pretty much the same all around, apart from the accent.

How's bio 5?
Reply 1387
Original post by umair.khan
:O 7 pages!! my teacher told me to write 2 sides, and if really pushed for content then 3 sides

We've been encouraged to spend like 40 minutes. About 4 sides?
Original post by loujm
We've been encouraged to spend like 40 minutes. About 4 sides?

yeah thats what ive been told too.

I'm gonna try and finish the paper earlier so i can have a good 45 minutes to do the essay :colone:
Reply 1389
the only thing i hate about biology exams is that you study loads of units and only a few actually come up :/
not that worried for the essay as ive got high marks in practise ones, just really hope we get DNA , cycles or enzymes :smile: if not then im screwed XD
Reply 1390
You've never been to Manc before? you're a rarity then :tongue: lol, but the north is pretty much the same all around, apart from the accent.

How's bio 5?

Nah, it varies I think, it is more remote here :smile:

Bio5's alright I suppose it's just the essay is a pain as I prefer some essays more than others so it's all about what comes up on the paper :tongue:

The content is mainly fine, some of the DNA stuff gets a bit confusing at times though.
Reply 1391
does the action potential involve any active transport???
Original post by Jin3011
This thread just made me remember how much content there actually is in this unit. It's a hell of a lot! Nelson Thornes seriously needs to review the AQA book, espech the genetics section. As good as it is (helped me get that A in bio alone), it does contains a lot of conflicting information.

Which parts conflict seen as that book is probrably going to be my only source of bio revision/consolidation? :colondollar:
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are like for this exam or what % is needed for certain grades?? Really worried!!
Reply 1394
Original post by ZahraSmiley
Well so far I've seen:

- Inorganic ions
- Energy transfers
- ATP
- Structure and functions of proteins
- Variation

I think those are the most that were talked about so far!

Transfers through ecosystems (June 2007) probably means it wont be the second one.
'The causes of variation and its biological importance' is the specimen paper.

Ions, ATP or proteins seem quite possible. :tongue:
Reply 1395
Original post by lilcherrydrop
Can someone please explain why partial digestion of DNA fragment leads to DNA fragments adding up to more than the orignal DNA length? I understand you have larger fragments but why do you have more DNA quantity? :confused: thanks!

As far as I understand it, the process involves many different strands of DNA. When they're only partially digested, some strands will have been cut at all the right points and some strands won't have been properly digested yet.

If all of the strands were digested, then they'd all have been cut at the same points and the fragments would all add up to the original length. If partial digestion occurs, some fragments haven't been cut at the right places yet and consequently there are pieces of bigger lengths, so the fragments together add up to more than the original length.
Which parts conflict seen as that book is probrably going to be my only source of bio revision/consolidation? :colondollar:

From the top of my head I can't remember, but the genetics section was confusing as hell; I'm sure many will agree on this. The genetic content, once understood, is sound, but the book explains parts of it really awkwardly.
Original post by harh
As far as I understand it, the process involves many different strands of DNA. When they're only partially digested, some strands will have been cut at all the right points and some strands won't have been properly digested yet.

If all of the strands were digested, then they'd all have been cut at the same points and the fragments would all add up to the original length. If partial digestion occurs, some fragments haven't been cut at the right places yet and consequently there are pieces of bigger lengths, so the fragments together add up to more than the original length.

But surely the total DNA lengths - when you add all fragments together should equal your original amount of all the DNA fragments. By original length do you mean of ONE DNA piece/plamid? Or having MORE larger fragments - and these adding up to longer DNA than the orig! :cool: thanks!
Original post by freddy
does the action potential involve any active transport???

Yep! The Sodium-Potassium pump actively transports sodium ions out and potassium ions in. 2 potassium ions are pumped for every 3 sodium ions :smile:
Original post by Shamaila:)
Yep! The Sodium-Potassium pump actively transports sodium ions out and potassium ions in. 2 potassium ions are pumped for every 3 sodium ions :smile:

Well thats resting potential anyway! After the action potential when it goes to hyperpolarisation, the potassium chanels close and then the pump has to pump to get it to its normal balance so its repolaried, hope that helps and im not just waffling! LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending