The Student Room Group

The BBC - Impartial or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Vienna
Uh-huh. On what basis do you claim that "it takes pains to actually report" factually? I suspect the BBC could say, for instance, that "civil war" had broken out in Iraq, or have their Middle East reporters cry for Yasser Arafat, or pretend that Bush hadnt pleaded with Blanco to let the National Guard into Louisiana days before Katrina and you would still swallow it.

Lets play a game. I bet I can find more cases of out and out BBC inaccuracy and bias than you can from CNN.

Well it is clear at the very least that you haven't completely understood my post; did you not read it, or are you incapable of assimilating the fact that populist news-reporting serves to increase profits for the network at the expense of quality? I shall paraphrase it just for you. I believe the BBC takes pains to report on potentially uncomfortable situations because it can; because of the unique way that it is funded.

What a ridiculous suggestion. Ooh a game, what fun... Just excatly how would we prove that the BBC or CNN are publishing 'out and out' innacuracies hmm? At a guess would you by any chance use the AP as the third mediating party?
Reply 41
Beekeeper
I'm not missing the point at all, Vienna. These comments reflect his personal political beliefs, he is human and like most humans he has his own beliefs.

There is no evidence I have seen that he reports in a significantly bias way. There is a difference between 'reporting' and writing an 'editorial', a distinction I think you need to understand.

If you click on a link which takes you to the "Personal reflections by BBC correspondents around the world", then you shouldn't expect impartiality.

Its now clear you are missing the point

"These comments reflect his personal political beliefs"

Erm, which comments? The comment in question is this one...

"I know that is how it is portrayed because I have done my bit to paint that picture..."

So he can hold whatever opinions he likes in private or even in a personal capacity, but when he "does his bit", as a BBC News reporter, to portray that picture of the US, then he ceases to be impartial.
Johnny
Following an enlightening discussion with several BNP supporters in the thread: 'UK whites will be minority by 2100' , it emerged that any material I quoted from the BBC was branded as being worthless since "the BBC is not impartial". Now this really puzzled me because it is an independently funded news source, and one of the most reliable and respected I find.

So just out of interest what do you think of the BBC and why...

The BBC is very pro-EU. It has accepted a loan from the European Investment Bank whose constitution explicitly states that it should loan money to firms assisting European unity. Secondly, it had a sham programme called "how euro are you" or something similar and anyone who was anti-EU was portrayed as ignorant and biggoted.
Vienna
Lets play a game. I bet I can find more cases of out and out BBC inaccuracy and bias than you can from CNN.

Well that seems like a silly game. The BBC is funded by the state and is under completely different pressures than CNN.

People tend to take this whole 'impartiality' issue too far, you expect far too much from reporters. They aren't machines...
Reply 44
Johnny
You see I would argue that the quality of reporting done by the BBC was higher than CNN by a mile. Since CNN is owned by AOLTimeWarner, it has to make a profit as all news programmes in America are expected to by their networks, as they compete for audience ratings.

So becuase the BBC is funded on UK TV tax directly, instead od advertising indirectly...then it's automatically better? I suppose you could use the same argument for PBS (US) , CBC, and the others.....\\

How do you argue the "quality" in this case? What is it down to? Earlier I said that the BBC does have a wide range of reporters, basically all around the world...

Johnny
Because CNN News has to make a profit, it must appeal to a wider audience to do this. Therefore it becomes more and more populist and succumbs to the sort of "Daily Mail" reporting syndrome, where the appeal is based on telling the public what they want to hear, not what the need to know.

Um, CNNI , MSNBC, and other use a combo of AP, AFP, And Rueters news feeds, as well as reporters on the ground....they can't play the same game the Daily Mail or the SUN would. Too many people watching on satalitte actually. Al Jazeera International (when it gets on the air) will find themselves not being more populist, but more objective....they know that they are responsible to a worlwide audience as a whole, not just Qatar and surrounding companies.... the more globalized the channel gets, the more responsible the channel has to be. But BBC can get away with anything, as long as no large group in the UK object...becuase guess who funds the whole thing. ^o)

Johnny
Now, I suspect that you believe the BBC to be unimpartial simply because it takes pains to actually report on "Camp X-ray" and extaordinary rendition as well as the hugely unequal distribution of wealth in US society, and you are not at ease with this because you feel that it portrays the US in a bad light, unlike CNN however that only tells you what you want to hear.

Are you kidding? The whole world, including US media, not to mention "The daily show", calls these same issues into question every day.

Although the "hugely unequal distribution of wealth in US society" arguement is more of a uniquely euro construct (as there are rich and middle class and poor people in EVERY country, not just the US).

I honestly have to wonder how big the Atlantic gap really is sometimes....it seems like many in the European press have to show the "americans" as mindless sheep, only blingly following what the jingoistic right wing media tells it to.

How on earth did 49% of the (2004 electoral) population end up voting for Kerry, if this is the case? :eek:
Vienna
Its now clear you are missing the point

"These comments reflect his personal political beliefs"

Erm, which comments? The comment in question is this one...

"I know that is how it is portrayed because I have done my bit to paint that picture..."

So he can hold whatever opinions he likes in private or even in a personal capacity, but when he "does his bit", as a BBC News reporter, to portray that picture of the US, then he ceases to be impartial.

This is in no way evidence of impartiality.

The U.S. has indeed done some rather 'ignorant' things, and he is merely saying in this editorial that he has 'done his bit' by reporting on them. Theres nothing wrong with saying that at all.

Besides, the opinions of one reporter for a massive news corporation hardly warrant sweeping accusations of impartiality.
Reply 46
Johnny
Well it is clear at the very least that you haven't completely understood my post; did you not read it, or are you incapable of assimilating the fact that populist news-reporting serves to increase profits for the network at the expense of quality?I shall paraphrase it just for you. I believe the BBC takes pains to report on potentially uncomfortable situations because it can; because of the unique way that it is funded.

Repeating it doesn't make it fact. On what basis do you claim that "it takes pains to actually report" factually?

A tax enforced by law is "unique"?

Just excatly how would we prove that the BBC or CNN are publishing 'out and out' innacuracies hmm?

You tell me,

"You see I would argue that the quality of reporting done by the BBC was higher than CNN by a mile."
Reply 47
Beekeeper
This is in no way evidence of impartiality.

"America is often portrayed as an ignorant, unsophisticated sort of place, full of bible bashers and ruled to a dangerous extent by trashy television, superstition and religious bigotry, a place lacking in respect for evidence based knowledge."

That it is an impartial portrayal of the US?

The U.S. has indeed done some rather 'ignorant' things, and he is merely saying in this editorial that he has 'done his bit' by reporting on them. Theres nothing wrong with saying that at all.

He says he did his bit to portray America "as an ignorant, unsophisticated sort of place, full of bible bashers and ruled to a dangerous extent by trashy television, superstition and religious bigotry, a place lacking in respect for evidence based knowledge."

There's nothing wrong with a BBC reporter portraying that?

Besides, the opinions of one reporter for a massive news corporation hardly warrant sweeping accusations of impartiality.

I never claimed otherwise.
Vienna
"America is often portrayed as an ignorant, unsophisticated sort of place, full of bible bashers and ruled to a dangerous extent by trashy television, superstition and religious bigotry, a place lacking in respect for evidence based knowledge."

That it is an impartial portrayal of the US?

It is yes, but as I have already made quite clear, it is an editorial and nothing more. Have you read an editorial before? This really is amateur stuff.

He says he did his bit to portray America "as an ignorant, unsophisticated sort of place, full of bible bashers and ruled to a dangerous extent by trashy television, superstition and religious bigotry, a place lacking in respect for evidence based knowledge."

There's nothing wrong with a BBC reporter portraying that?

He claims that by reporting on newsworthy events he has 'done his bit' in creating this image.

Iran is generally thought of as a backward and disturbed place, and a BBC, CNN, ITN, ABC reporter could help penetrate this image merely by reporting on it and raising awareness of the issue in question.

This comment therefore is not evidence of impartiality.
Reply 49
Beekeeper
It is yes, but as I have already made quite clear, it is an editorial and nothing more. Have you read an editorial before? This really is amateur stuff.

Yes, it is impartial or yes, its not impartial?

He claims IN THE EDITORIAL that as a BBC news reporter he has (at OTHER times, in OTHER capacities. Thats right, not in the SAME editorial) portrayed the US in such a manner.
Reply 50
In a nutshell, Justin Webb admits his own mistakes (and impartiallity) in reporting on the US. I happen to think that is brave of him, as most reporters never admit any hindsight on thier part.

There was also some controversy on a statement he made regarding america, where he actually defended some of the things they did, and furious listeners called back, acusing him od being a "fox news broadcaster". :wink:
Reply 51
djchak
In a nutshell, Justin Webb admits his own mistakes (and impartiallity) in reporting on the US. I happen to think that is brave of him, as most reporters never admit any hindsight on thier part.

There was also some controversy on a statement he made regarding america, where he actually defended some of the things they did, and furious listeners called back, acusing him od being a "fox news broadcaster". :wink:

Some people seem to be confused,

im·par·tial adj.
1: Not partial or biased; unprejudiced.
2: free from undue bias or preconceived opinions;
Reply 52
djchak
Um, CNNI , MSNBC, and other use a combo of AP, AFP, And Rueters news feeds, as well as reporters on the ground....they can't play the same game the Daily Mail or the SUN would. Too many people watching on satalitte actually. Al Jazeera International (when it gets on the air) will find themselves not being more populist, but more objective....they know that they are responsible to a worlwide audience as a whole, not just Qatar and surrounding companies.... the more globalized the channel gets, the more responsible the channel has to be. But BBC can get away with anything, as long as no large group in the UK object...becuase guess who funds the whole thing. ^o)

So you believe that despite the fact that "the more globalized(sic) a channel gets, the more responsible the channel has to be". Fair point. However the BBC is the biggest global news corporation and thus in your logic it must be the most responsible so why does it push the negative stereotypes of Americans that you claim it does?
djchak
I'm actually suprised you guys don't know about this stuff....I mean, to me, it's fairly obvious...the BBC just sells people what they want in the end...and if that means perpetuating negative stereotypes.......then they give the rest of the world what it wants.

What a glaring contadiction. whoops... could it be that you are wrong?

But wait here's another as well: Earlier you stated that the BBC
djchak
It has a fairly low base of supprt in the US hisorically, so what does it have to lose? Nothing.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the Al Jazeera channel would not be very popular in America would it now? But when Al Jazeera goes global (sorry 'gets globalized...) and finds that it "has a low base of support in America" it will suddenly become more responsible (by which I assume you mean 'objective'- or do you because a typically arrogant american opinion would be that the Al Jazeera, with its negative slant on America is therefore irresponsible?) even though it will have 'nothing' to lose if it doesn't?

Hmm it seems that your thought is garbled or at worst just anti-BBC.

Oh and I believe that Bush is still in the White House...
On the face of it the BBC tries to be impartial, however because it is government funded, it isn't below. This is refleced the the transferral of Sir David Frost and Ragih Omar to the Al Jazeera news network.
Reply 54
By the way, here is a succint view of why the BBC is more reliable and impartial than private news corporations, in my opinion

‘Broadcasting Policy in the Multi-Media Age’ - Andrew Graham,
The Acting Master of Balliol College, argues that intervention will remain necessary in the future because the market, on its own, cannot produce the full benefits of new technology for society as a whole. As audiences fragment, there is a real danger of a vicious cycle in which commercial broadcasters, chasing ever more elusive ratings, do not invest sufficiently in high-quality content. "Putting it bluntly, we will be ‘dumbed down’", says Graham.

Graham argues that regulation alone cannot hold back these market forces. The Internet, global broadcasting and more intense commercial pressures will make regulation less effective. What is needed is ‘a positive force’, a provider of a centre of excellence which makes and broadcasts programmes, delivers national coverage, acts as the guarantor of quality and widens choice.

The best way to provide this is via public service broadcasting but it is crucial that the way the broadcaster is funded enables it to be at arm’s length from government and commercial interests, and to have the financial security to be able to plan ahead. If the BBC were forced to accept direct commercial funding like advertising at the margin, it would eventually become indistinguishable from a commercial broadcaster.
Reply 55
Andrew Graham Acting Master and Fellow in Economics at Balliol College, Oxford, and a board member of Channel 4 Television.

Just before you all start moaning that he's probably on the beeb's payroll or something...:rolleyes:
Reply 56
Johnny
Andrew Graham Acting Master and Fellow in Economics at Balliol College, Oxford, and a board member of Channel 4 Television.

Just before you all start moaning that he's probably on the beeb's payroll or something...:rolleyes:

No, he's just talking simplistic nonsense.
Reply 57
Johnny
Andrew Graham Acting Master and Fellow in Economics at Balliol College, Oxford

Yes he does sound a bit dim...:rolleyes:. I really think he'd have a better idea than you. Sorry to jump to conclusions; you could be a fellow in economics at Oxford University as well.
Reply 58
Johnny
Yes he does sound a bit dim...:rolleyes:

A national, state funded broadcasting service, widens choice does it? We know he's lost it when he talks about the internet threatening the "full benefits and widening of choice" in the media we receive. I particularly liked this,

What is needed is ‘a positive force’, a provider that acts as the guarantor of quality.

Haha, he's so convinced that he's willing to go to prison for it. Of course, whether the rest of the country agrees with Mr.Graham as to what constitutes 'positive' and 'quality' is another matter. I'm sure I speak for all when I say that my life is on hold until Mr.Graham enlightens me as to what I should consider to be quality broadcasting.
Reply 59
Haha you can't understand it. He means that the Internet will be used by News Corprations to present their populist slant on the news (in the chase for ratings), in an attempt to avpoid regulation as it is harder to regulate what is published on the Internet.

Nowhere does he say that the Internet per se will restrict choice as you claim he does.

And to think that you said he was talking simplistic nonsense.

To lower the tone even more, compare programs on BBC to channel 4 say or ITN if you want a measure of quality.

I believe that adaptations of Bleak House are better quality TV than "Big Brother", or "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here"

Hopefully now you will be able to see his points, although being as you are thick enough to misread "simpistic nonsense", maybe you are thick enough to prefer BB and I'm a celeb to classic English Literature

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending