The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F215 Control, Genomes and Environment Fri 15 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by otrivine
correct :smile::smile: hahahahahahahahahhaha sorryyyyy meant race horses loool

my turn:wink:

-explain how recombinant plasmids are formed and how bacteria takes them up (7)
-explain/describe genetic engineering (combining certain dna fragments etc.) 6
Original post by chemicalX
ok

CNS: consists of brain and spinal cord. brain has grey matter and white matter, myelinated and unmyelinated respectively. perefect I literally can't add anything further other than refering the peripheral nervous system as what connects the CNA to the rest of the body

You seem to have left out Motor and sensory which Might be worthwhile including so that you can refer to the Sensory taking impulses from receptor to CNS and Motor taking impulses from CNA to effector then saying

autonomic and Somatic : not under your conscious control and is subdivided into the parasympathetic and sympathetic pathway. also i think it is non-myelinated. Usually neurones of the autonomic nervous system are present in groups of 2 or more going to the effector (connected at Ganglion)
Correct, i moved this here since it makes more sense here ''somatic: this is myelinated and carrys impulses from the CNS to skeletal muscle which are under voluntary control ALSO usually only a single neurone of the somatic nervous systme travel to effector. ''

the parasympathetic is involved in relaxation so i.e. decreases the heart rate.
the sympathetic is involved in the flight or fight response and usually increases the heart rate, pupil dilation etc. Neurotransmitter = Acetylcholine

Correct + Sympathetic = Most active in time of stress eg fight or flight response therefore increases heart rate, breating rate etc Neurotransmitter = Noradrenaline

outline the structural and functional differences between voluntary, involuntray and cardiac muscle? (6)

Voluntary muscle is straited, Cardiac muscle is striated, smooth muscle is non-striated

Voluntary muscle cells are cylindrical, Cardiac muscle cells are branched and smooth muscle cells are spindle shaped.

Cardiac muscle cells sontain intercalated discs whereas smooth and voluntary do not.

Voluntary muscle cells are multinucleate whereas smooth and cardiac are uninucleate.

Voluntary muscle controls the movement of the skeleton (hence the name skeletal muscle), Smooth muscle controls things such as the width of diamiter of the pupil (via the interaction circular and radial bundles) as well as vasocontriction/dilation of blood vessels and peristalsis. Cardiac muscle is made of of three seperate types; ventricular, atrial and excitatory/conductive (myogenic) which work in combination to control the rhythmic beating of the heart in order to pump blood around the body.
Reply 1782
Original post by darkxangel
PCR:
-primers/nucleotides, dna and dna polymerase are mixed,
-it's heated to 95c, which breaks the hydrogen bonds and leaved dna single stranded,
-temp is lowered to 55, where primers can attach to complimentary exposed bases/annealing,
-temp raised to 72, dna polymerase extendedd dna chain by adding nucleotides along exposed bases,

-dna polymerase is thermophillic because it's not denatured by extreme tempereatures,

6/6 well done! what about gel electrophoresis?(5)
-explain how recombinant plasmids are formed and how bacteria takes them up (7)
-explain/describe genetic engineering (combining certain dna fragments etc.) 6

1) you want be to describe replica one with the agar or not?
2) so to get the renin for example which is a protein to genetically engineer that we need to cut the gene to fragmenets using restriction enzyme.
using DNA probes
cut the plasmid with the same restriction enzyme
-sticky ends
-join the plasmid with the renin gene to form recombinanat DNA (complementary base pairing and hydrogen bonds)
- then is forms transformed bacteria
Reply 1784
you would say complementary anticodons
and no no not annealing notthing to do with this annealing happens in PCR , sequecing genome e.t.c

Ok
Define:somatic muation(2)

do you mean somatic cell gene therapy?
involves genes being added (augmentation) or gene therapy by killing specific cells??
Original post by Dogs
do you mean somatic cell gene therapy?
involves genes being added (augmentation) or gene therapy by killing specific cells??

no somatic mutation from chapter 1?
1) you want be to describe replica one with the agar or not?
2) so to get the renin for example which is a protein to genetically engineer that we need to cut the gene to fragmenets using restriction enzyme.
using DNA probes
cut the plasmid with the same restriction enzyme
-sticky ends
-join the plasmid with the renin gene to form recombinanat DNA (complementary base pairing and hydrogen bonds)
- then is forms transformed bacteria

-plasmid are cut with same restriction enzyme as isolated gene so complimentary sticky ends, quantities of both are mixed with ligase, some o the plasmid attach with gene and are sealed by ligase => recombinant plasmid formed

-recombinant plasmid is mixed with bacetria, bacteria take up some of the reformed plasmid, heat shocks and calcium salts (freezing->40c) can improve this process, transformed bacteria is said to be transgenic

-certain restriction enzymes cute dna at specific places where a certain base sequence occurs and only there,
-it catalyses a hydrolysis reaction where sugar-phosphate backbone breaks givin it a staggered cut/,
-dna fragments cut with same restriction enzyme have complimentary sticky ends and can join-

:h:
Reply 1787
no somatic mutation from chapter 1?

ohh is it a change in genetic structure that is not passed to offspring or inherited?

what are 4 examples of how variation occurs(4)
-plasmid are cut with same restriction enzyme as isolated gene so complimentary sticky ends, quantities of both are mixed with ligase, some o the plasmid attach with gene and are sealed by ligase => recombinant plasmid formed

-recombinant plasmid is mixed with bacetria, bacteria take up some of the reformed plasmid, heat shocks and calcium salts (freezing->40c) can improve this process, transformed bacteria is said to be transgenic

-certain restriction enzymes cute dna at specific places where a certain base sequence occurs and only there,
-it catalyses a hydrolysis reaction where sugar-phosphate backbone breaks givin it a staggered cut/,
-dna fragments cut with same restriction enzyme have complimentary sticky ends and can join-

:h:

is this 1 or 2nd question :wink: and how many marks i got for second question?:smile:
Original post by Dogs
6/6 well done! what about gel electrophoresis?(5)

-dna placed in agar gel,
-covered in buffer solution which lconducts electricity,
-phosphate groups on dna are negatively charged so move to anode/positive end from cathode,
-smaller move faster-bigger move slower
State the enzymes used in genetic engineering and describe their uses. (8 marks)
is this 1 or 2nd question :wink: and how many marks i got for second question?:smile:

it's both combined-plasmid bacteria is the first answer i put and the second one is about genetic engineering,

-4/6

i'll be back round 8 :biggrin: going to do some maths :h:
Original post by Dogs
ohh is it a change in genetic structure that is not passed to offspring or inherited?

what are 4 examples of how variation occurs(4)

yes but have to mention mitosis so not passed onto offsprings

-mutation
-natural selection
-increase frequency of alleles-reproduction
-selection pressure ?
it's both combined-plasmid bacteria is the first answer i put and the second one is about genetic engineering,

-4/6

i'll be back round 8 :biggrin: going to do some maths :h:

ok thanks :wink: so question 1 and 2 the questions were similar right?
Original post by walkbesideme
State the enzymes used in genetic engineering and describe their uses. (8 marks)

there are 2 enzymes correct?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by walkbesideme

-restriction enzyme-for cutting dna into fragments,
-dna polymerase to add free nucleotides,
-ligase to reseal plasmids,
- that's all i got :biggrin:
ok thanks :wink: so question 1 and 2 the questions were similar right?

yes they are connected :smile:
Reply 1797
Original post by welshy93
Sorry i took so long only just seen this!

1. Myosin head groups attach to the actin filament forming a cross-bridge
2. The head group the bends, pulling along the filament causing more overlap. This is the power stroke. ADP and Pi are released
3.The cross-bridge is then broken as a new ATP molecule attached to the myosin head
4. The head group then moves backwards as the ATP is hydrolysed to ADP and Pi. It can then from a cross-bridge further along the actin filament (stage 1) and bend again (stage 2)

Actually I guess that doesn't really help with your question :s sorry

Don't worry it definitely did help! I think I might be over thinking this too much though
-restriction enzyme-for cutting dna into fragments,
-dna polymerase to add free nucleotides,
-ligase to reseal plasmids,
- that's all i got :biggrin:

Restriction enzymes used during production of recombinant plasmid
Thermophillic DNA polymerase in PCR
DNA Ligase to reseal backbone
Reverse transcriptase used to reverse engineer cDNA from mRNA

Basically one mark for stating each and 1 mark for each use
(edited 11 years ago)