The Student Room Group

What is the job that requires the greatest 'cleverness/intelligence?'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Dr Good Manners
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" :pierre:

Not the best slogan. What were they thinking? Talk about walking into a right cross from Muhammad Ali.
Original post by Raiden10
What about a list of solved problems?

It doesn't seem that vibrant, philosophy. Going round again and again over the opinions of long dead men. Where is the life?

A list of 'solved problems'? How about everything that we currently know of the world? Did you actually read my post? :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by somethingbeautiful
A list of 'solved problems'? How about everything that we currently know of the world? Did you actually read my post? :biggrin:

All right, a list of recently solved problems.
All right, a list of recently solved problems.

You're missing the point, massively...
Reply 84
You're missing the point, massively...

So I missed the point. Tragic. But if I wasn't missing the point, what would you say?
Reply 85
Original post by Rascacielos
I think that applies to pretty much every degree. Those who aren't very bright probably won't succeed. And I guess it depends on how you define 'intelligent' as well.

Plus, studying law isn't a job as the thread title suggests (well, with the exception of those in academia, but I don't think you'd find an unintelligent person in any discipline doing that!).

True, however law is put on such a pedestal, on par with medicine. I expect very intelligent students.

I mean intelligent relative to what I expect from a law student:

E.g
- Can formulate a logical argument
- Can debate well
- Genuinely like law (mummy didn't tell them to do it)
- Well spoken
- Knows a lot of information
- Can apply that information
(edited 12 years ago)
Carol Voderman's job on Countdown! :yep:
Reply 87
Anyone clever enough to realise the futility of their actions, hence it must be those occupied by unemployment, such as I!
So I missed the point. Tragic. But if I wasn't missing the point, what would you say?

Well if you weren't missing the point I'd have a lot more to discuss with you, which is saying something because I could easily discuss a lot even though you do miss the point...

But seeing as you are missing the point and don't seem to realize it (or do realize it but don't know how you're missing the point) then as it stands our conversation is pretty pointless in a sense of it heading nowhere particulary productive for either one of us, unless of course you enjoy pointless discussions with strangers over the internet about things that you misunderstand. In which case I'd imagine that this is rather wonderful for you. But I'd hate to call our discussion 'pointless' and imply that there was never any point about it of which to be missed!

However, from my perspective, it's seriously 'lacking' and quite time consuming writing out long winded responses to someone who is missing the point of the original discussion, and most probably the point of this response...which admittedly could be construed as rather pointless -depending upon one's perspective I suppose.

Oh perspective. Gives everyone the opportunity to call anything 'pointless' doesn't it? Does it? Who knows! God knows? If He exists. Does he? Do we? Does this?!

But anyway, back to the 'if you weren't missing the point' hypothetical scenario. In such a scenario I would say to you that there was no need to make silly remarks if you infact were not missing the point.

Hope that's cleared the situation up nicely for you. Tragic if it hasn't.
The concept of intelligence is subjective.
Original post by T_x
I'm currently conducting a psychological survey to see what perceptions people have towards certain career choices/paths. Do you find that you have particular thoughts about people who immerse themselves in the arts, compared to people who become doctors, vets and astrophysicists? Is the Prime Minister one of the cleverest people in the UK, as he is such an important figurehead?

Please note that I've put cleverness OR intelligence, as I know that there will probably be a heated debate about what constitutes the idea of both. What I'm primarily interested in is if you find that you tend to think that certain people are cleverer than others due to their career paths, and what these jobs would be.

I am also aware that it could be argued that there are different types of cleverness/intelligence, but I want everyone to wildly generalise, if possible :smile:

Thanks, T_x

I think almost anything can to be learnt to an extent. Having the flash of inspiration to go beyond what others can do is where you need intelligence. Remember that intelligence is different from wisdom, if you had asked me that I would probably have given a different answer as would I if you asked knew the most about their subject.
I would say a barrister/lawyer for their sometimes seemingly abstract-yet-logical thinking to push cases in their favour. Followed by detectives who have v. little info to go on, yet they retrace criminals' steps, slip into their mind frame and assess motivations for their crimes etc. leading to their capture too.
Then academics and researchers in the the maths and sciences.
Reply 92
Engineers anyone?
Reply 93
Well if you weren't missing the point I'd have a lot more to discuss with you, which is saying something because I could easily discuss a lot even though you do miss the point...

But seeing as you are missing the point and don't seem to realize it (or do realize it but don't know how you're missing the point) then as it stands our conversation is pretty pointless in a sense of it heading nowhere particulary productive for either one of us, unless of course you enjoy pointless discussions with strangers over the internet about things that you misunderstand. In which case I'd imagine that this is rather wonderful for you. But I'd hate to call our discussion 'pointless' and imply that there was never any point about it of which to be missed!

However, from my perspective, it's seriously 'lacking' and quite time consuming writing out long winded responses to someone who is missing the point of the original discussion, and most probably the point of this response...which admittedly could be construed as rather pointless -depending upon one's perspective I suppose.

Oh perspective. Gives everyone the opportunity to call anything 'pointless' doesn't it? Does it? Who knows! God knows? If He exists. Does he? Do we? Does this?!

But anyway, back to the 'if you weren't missing the point' hypothetical scenario. In such a scenario I would say to you that there was no need to make silly remarks if you infact were not missing the point.

Hope that's cleared the situation up nicely for you. Tragic if it hasn't.

Uses of the word point (or pointless) count: 16
Describing of what the "point" is count: 0
Reply 94
Original post by k9markiii
I think almost anything can to be learnt to an extent. Having the flash of inspiration to go beyond what others can do is where you need intelligence. Remember that intelligence is different from wisdom, if you had asked me that I would probably have given a different answer as would I if you asked knew the most about their subject.

True. To be a mage you need intelligence and to be a cleric you need wisdom.
Original post by T-Toe
True, however law is put on such a pedestal, on par with medicine. I expect very intelligent students.

I mean intelligent relative to what I expect from a law student:

E.g
- Can formulate a logical argument
- Can debate well
- Genuinely like law (mummy didn't tell them to do it)
- Well spoken
- Knows a lot of information
- Can apply that information

Most successful law students can do all those things, although I'm not 100% sure of the relevance of being well-spoken (which to me means speaking 'posh'). But like I said, there are students in every discipline who fail miserably at their degree.
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Carol Voderman's job on Countdown! :yep:

This is true. [Fairly] complex Maths (well, complex if you're me anyway :biggrin:) under pressure? I think not.
What? engineering isn't even in the poll?

In terms of cleverness, I'd say someone like Robin Williams. He's extremely intelligent and you need to be very clever to do the improv that he does.
Reply 99
Original post by Rascacielos
Most successful law students can do all those things, although I'm not 100% sure of the relevance of being well-spoken (which to me means speaking 'posh'). But like I said, there are students in every discipline who fail miserably at their degree.

I think well spoken would mean speaking clearly and pronouncing every word properly. This would make it easier for others to understand :P Especially foreigners.

Speaking properly would help in Law because.. well.. a scouse lawyer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending