The Student Room Group

Management Information System (MIS)

Is this a course that is offered at undergraduate level? If so, what prominent universities offer it? I can't seem to find it at undergrad; Lancaster have something roughly close, but it isn't the same -- at least I think it isn't the same. I know it's offered at postgraduate level by universities like LSE.
Reply 1
Management Information Systems tends to be used for MSc programmes, so I'm not surprised that you've had difficulty.

You will find some that have a different ordering of words (e.g. Information Systems and Management at LSE), but they tend to have a different emphasis to the traditional MIS MSc (e.g. more management, commonly) and are often run by business schools (again, LSE, and also Royal Holloway).

If you want a more traditional MIS-style programme with a computing emphasis, then Information Systems in the Computing/Computer Science departments of universities with a strong business focus tend to be the closest. To take my own university (City, London) Information Systems and Business Computing are similar. Overall, the IS degree is closest to our Information Management/Information Systems and Technology MScs (which are our MIS programmes). Depending on where you look within the UK, you will find different, but related programmes. For example, Brunel is another university with comparable BScs.

Finally, the generic ITMB BSc - offered by universities as diverse as UCL and Northumbria - may be worth considering, though it is just a bit more generalised as it covers management and analyst roles, rather than management exclusively.

I hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending