The Student Room Group

OCR Economics F585 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by chunkyjooj
That one required me to go and do some research. Here's what I would look at:

"First, the one child policy and the impact of income growth on fertility will see China’s demographic structure rapidly age. Aging of the population will constrain the supply of labour, put pressure on wages, reduce the capacity to save, change industrial structure and the composition of trade, and make building human capital, accelerating technological change and raising productivity more urgent national priorities."

These are not my words, this information was taken directly from http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2010/02/23/the-scale-of-chinas-economic-impact/

Please let me know if this answer is sufficient or if you would like me to discuss in greater depth?

Thanks, this makes a lot more sense, good luck for the exam :smile:
Reply 361
Original post by Placebo101
Rising population = GDP per capita will be lower but overall growth will rise

Ageing population = Less disposable income, as wealth will be redistributed
between people in and out labour force. Comes with great social costs.

Migrating workers = overcrowding of cities, need to expand, pollution, food shortage, more labour available, factor mobility.

Thanks, this makes a lot more sense, but I have a question regarding the ageing population bit, why would people be moving in and out of the labour force? - or this is because the older people will be retiring and the younger people going into work?
Original post by charmiv
Thanks, this makes a lot more sense, but I have a question regarding the ageing population bit, why would people be moving in and out of the labour force? - or this is because the older people will be retiring and the younger people going into work?

I'm not sure if it's mentioned on the extracts (if it isn't, ignore this) but China is experiencing mass migration from rural areas to the city.

Now, I might be wrong about this, but the rural workers tend not to be as much involved in the wider economy as city workers -- they typically make their own food, shelter, clothing etc and keep trading amongst villagers.

When people stop farming and start working for factories, labour force participation is effectively increasing, which brings along a whole host of costs and benefits.
Reply 363
What could be some benefits of the export quota on rare earths to the global economy?
Reply 364
Original post by owen1994

The severity of the affect on inflation will be determined by the size of the change in the interest rate, the speed at which the commercial banks alter their rates, the speed at which consumers and business react to these changes (e.g. determined by confidence/expectations) and the current position of AD on the LRAS. What I mean is, where the economy is producing in terms of its productive potential capacity, or its output gap.

QUOTE]

Could you explain the last evaluative point for me please?
Reply 365
Original post by chunkyjooj
I really don't like to answer questions like this, simply because some students will potentially rely on it as a fact - when it's absolutely not. DO NOT SIMPLY use this as your only preparation for the final essay!

Discuss the view that market based approaches are the best approach to correcting the market failure resulting from resource scarcity, such as that of the rare earths in China. (20 marks) ---> Or some variation of this question asking whether market based approaches by the EU are more effective in addressing the global resource scarcity issue than the quotas imposed by China.

There's tons of scope in this question to discuss the core economic issue of scarcity in the context of China and the EU.
I'm happy to check through a plan for this if someone posts. Also, any other ideas for helpful videos for this exam?

Go get 'em.

Could you explain what you mean by this please? :smile:
Reply 366
How would you guys go about answering this question -

Comment on the extent to which rapid economic growth is capable of promoting development.
Original post by Popsicle1

Comment on the extent to which rapid economic growth is capable of promoting development.

This question is all centered on the fact that Economic growth is necessary for growth but not sufficient. So you need to distinguish between the two, write about the benefits of growth for example rising incomes and how this promotes development. However growth brings about costs which can limit or reduce development depending on what caused the growth. Mineral extraction for example in China will lead to consequences for the environment....Basically to be promote development the growth needs to be sustainable and not lead to a depletion of the natural stock of capital.
Going to start going over analysis notes for extract 1 & 2 today! I've been lazy with revising for this paper because its my last exam :|
:doh:
Reply 369

Make clear the differences between growth and development.
Show what rapid economic growth brings with AD/AS analysis.
Then discuss how growth is a prerequisite for development, but not an automatic consequence.
Comment on which factors affect the extent (government involvement, structure of the economy, institutions, etc)
Could you explain what you mean by this please? :smile:

What part of it?
Original post by K.a
What could be some benefits of the export quota on rare earths to the global economy?

It may lead to innovation with regards to using new resources in place of rare earths. Other countries may start to grown their own rare earth industries and see their economies grow. China could end up reducing the amount of harm they are causing to their own environment and in effect, the global environment (this could be argued). To name a few...
Original post by freakonomics
This question is all centered on the fact that Economic growth is necessary for growth but not sufficient. So you need to distinguish between the two, write about the benefits of growth for example rising incomes and how this promotes development. However growth brings about costs which can limit or reduce development depending on what caused the growth. Mineral extraction for example in China will lead to consequences for the environment....Basically to be promote development the growth needs to be sustainable and not lead to a depletion of the natural stock of capital.

Hey, can you clarify the difference between economic growth and growth?
Original post by Toniah
Hi, i would really appreciate it if someone could possibly explain fiscal policy credibility?

I know that policy credibility occurs when businesses and consumers believe that a policy is appropriate in a given economic situation and will achieve its objectives, and that examples for fiscal policy would include the setting up of the independent OBR, and in the past Gordon Brown's golden rule, but I don't know what else to put...?

We can also widen the concept of credibility.

We have a loose monetary policy - i.e. low interest rates to stimulate consumption/investment that increases AD.

We have a tight fiscal policy - i.e. government spending is decreasing. This is part of AD - therefore lower spending causes a reduction in AD.

These two policies are clearly opposing each other. One is attempting to stimulate AD whilst the other can cause it to decrease. This, I believe, refers to the credibility of the UK govt. in dealing with the current economic situation. People may have low confidence etc.

With regards to another question on what is inflationary expectations, I believe it is:

If people are expecting inflation to rise in the near future, they will go out and buy and stock up on non-perishable goods. This increases demand for the goods, causing inflation to rise. This is a self-fulfilling expectation.

A recent real world example is in the UK with discussions between truck drivers and oil companies. People expected oil prices to rise - there was news about oil stations with huge lines. Eventually, oil prices rose because of this increase in demand... self fulfilling!
Made this list of every single definition we'll need for this exam (except some obvious stuff that's unique to the extract, we won't have to use in the exam anyway):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZHHanHJPZPe8d_RrPGGhj2XP91cS2t129zrHSKnPX88/edit
(edited 11 years ago)
What diagram would be used to illustrate Wages growing at a faster rate than productivity?

and are there any other diagrams any one would recommend?

So far ive got the Market Failure, Economics Growth, Quota (short term + long term), and the diagram to show price volatility in commodity prices such as Raw materials.
Original post by farrukhkhan01
What diagram would be used to illustrate Wages growing at a faster rate than productivity?

So far ive got the Market Failure, Economics Growth, Quota (short term + long term), and the diagram to show price volatility in commodity prices such as Raw materials.

fTi5E.png

That's my guess
What is the difference between nominal and real exchange rate?
I know what they are, but I can not explain what increase in each of them mean..

If there is a rise in nominal value would it mean there is a rise in real exchange rate?

On page 7, extract 2, the nominal rate is lower than real, what does that mean?
Original post by chocolate_monster
What is the difference between nominal and real exchange rate?
I know what they are, but I can not explain what increase in each of them mean..

If there is a rise in nominal value would it mean there is a rise in real exchange rate?

On page 7, extract 2, the nominal rate is lower than real, what does that mean?

Prices are rising faster than they appear? Nominal is the actual exchange rate you get from buying/selling your currency, the real exchange rate takes into account inflation, so maybe inflation in one country e.g. USA is less than the inflation in China, making the exchange of currency actually a better deal than it nominally is???
This may be completely wrong so I would advise you to search, this is complete guesswork from me sorry
Reply 379
Original post by farrukhkhan01

Did you do F583? If so, think back to MRP theory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending