The Student Room Group

OCR Economics F585 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by TheSelfAcknowleged
So those 2 points basically mean:

- If the people lending their cash to governments dont feel confident then there will be a fall in credit ratings and thus governments will have to pay more for their lent cash as people see them as more risky
- As interest rates are higher when costs of borrowing rise... that's all I got from your second point

- Fiscal policy not being credible = loss of confidence in other countries/firms.
- Cost of borrowing will rise for the govt (this is implied by the rating falling from AAA >AA+)
- This rise in the govt's borrowing cost trickles into the economy, leading to higher interest rates.
- The higher interest rates mean the BoE has less control over inflation due to interest rates being constrained. Therefore, interest rates are less successful.
Reply 781
Original post by uxa595
- Fiscal policy not being credible = loss of confidence in other countries/firms.
- Cost of borrowing will rise for the govt (this is implied by the rating falling from AAA >AA+)
- This rise in the govt's borrowing cost trickles into the economy, leading to higher interest rates.
- The higher interest rates mean the BoE has less control over inflation due to interest rates being constrained. Therefore, interest rates are less successful.

Do we no longer have a AAA credit rating? I thought we did but moody's have rated it with 'a negative outlook' or something.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 782
Original post by Helendd
Do we no longer have a AAA credit rating? I thought we did but moody's have rated it with 'a negative outlook' or something.

It's a made up situation. You can do that at A level economics :smile:
Reply 783
Original post by uxa595
It's a made up situation. You can do that at A level economics :smile:

Haha oh okay :smile:

Reply 784
Original post by Helendd

Yeah you're right :biggrin: http://www.channel4.com/news/what-would-happen-if-britain-lost-its-aaa-status
Reply 785
Original post by Helendd

But just to be clear the UK still has a AAA credit rating. Most recently France has been dropped down to a AA credit rating (the lowest being A) whist there are still ongoing talks over weather (Spain/Italy/Portugal's credit rating should be dropped.

However with the proposed introduction of "Euro Bonds", credit rating within euro-zone economies could soon become worthless as struggling economies would be able to borrow at a much lower rate of interest due to the "shared" debt management.
Finding a Horcrux is easier than getting a copy of the APT book on here... *sigh*
Reply 787
Original post by evelynevelyn
Finding a Horcrux is easier than getting a copy of the APT book on here... *sigh*

Hahahahha can I quote you on that? :biggrin: I totally agree, it's like the Queen has stripped it from history or something, leaving the inferior and difficult-to-understand tutor2u booklet haha
Original post by Clare1994
You say the last question can't be predicted but i have to just say my teacher has correctly predicted it 3 yrs in a row :P Last yr apparently she got it word for word but she does admit it's pretty much impossible to properly predict it this yr... But she probably says that every yr haha

Really? What does she/he say will be on this year? Sorry lol I'm not saying she's wrong but I don't want to put myself and everyone else at risk here.
Reply 789
Original post by Clare1994
discuss to what extent the emerging dispute over China's rare earths export ban is a threat to growth and development

Thank you Clare! however when it says "threat to growth and development". Does it mean threat to global growth and development or threat to China's growth and development. A little confused.
Original post by Placebo101
I'll give it a crack:

What are the costs of protectionism?

Are they justified for conserving resources?
- Economic case for protectionism when resources are scarce -- link to China's monopoly on rare earths and how that could stimulate FDI, more export revenue ect

- Economic costs to China (encouraging competition in rare earth market, could potentially back fire, opening itself up to trade wars) mention costs for other countries = costs in more expensive technology (benefits to other countries? Stimulates rare earth production -> economic growth, particularly vital in countires like Malaysisa, which need to diversify their exports I think)

- Environmental case for protectionism -- China: means it won't pollute as much, need to keep pollution levels low as linked to poor development Rest of the World: Encourages more environmentally friendly ways of extracting rare earths so overall pollution levels from rare earths will fall in the long run.

- Environmental case against protectionism -- China's limits will be higher than they're currently producing so it doesn't limit the amount of actual pollution, just rate at which pollution is increasing. Setting up other rare earth extraction plants could be environmentally dangerous in shrot term -- especially if countries which have expressed interest in extracting rare earths persist (Mostly developing, don't have a good track record for pollution)

- Depends ultimately on nature of the resources being protected -- assumed China to be the case throughout, but could be other cases of resource depletion. Depends on how protectionism will be carrier out (think advantages of embargos ve tariffs for example)

- Do the costs outweight the benefits -- by how much? In Short term AND long term? Overall conclusion about this.

Not sure how you'd do the diagram though. Is there anything I missed?

surely an export ban reduces FDI?
Original post by cakeonmymind
surely an export ban reduces FDI?

No because firms are encourages to set up in China because of the cheaper prices of rare earths there vs exporting them abroad.
Reply 792
Ahahahaha this probably made me laugh too much:

http://www.economist.com/node/21556991?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/kc/16jun12
Reply 793
Original post by Wbradbury
Ahahahaha this probably made me laugh too much:

http://www.economist.com/node/21556991?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/kc/16jun12

My little brother ripped this weeks copy up :mad:
Original post by Placebo101
No because firms are encourages to set up in China because of the cheaper prices of rare earths there vs exporting them abroad.

but why would firms invest in a country that is banning exports to them?
I hope that regional and national policy thing doesn't come up as the 20marker omg
Original post by cakeonmymind
but why would firms invest in a country that is banning exports to them?

in order to get the 'exports'. Toyota is considering building part of the production line that uses the rare earth needed in China because without the rare earth it wouldn't be able to make the Prius car (e.g. China bans exports so firms that need the move into China to get at them).

However firms may be more inclined to move away from these products if their able to.
I hope that regional and national policy thing doesn't come up as the 20marker omg

same, however if it does you could easily structure it (as in local, national, regional and international policy) then just go through policies used at each level and evaluate which one would work best

tbh the only thing I personally think would work is if firms/countries are FORCED to be more sustainable via the profit/cost motive. They'll never move away from finite resources until they start to decrease and prices rise (bit of a pessimistic view!)
Original post by emily_becca
in order to get the 'exports'. Toyota is considering building part of the production line that uses the rare earth needed in China because without the rare earth it wouldn't be able to make the Prius car (e.g. China bans exports so firms that need the move into China to get at them).

However firms may be more inclined to move away from these products if their able to.

ohh that makes sense so it could increase fdi or reduce it depending on what firms decide to do with their products (that use rare earths)
Reply 799
Original post by emily_becca
same, however if it does you could easily structure it (as in local, national, regional and international policy) then just go through policies used at each level and evaluate which one would work best

tbh the only thing I personally think would work is if firms/countries are FORCED to be more sustainable via the profit/cost motive. They'll never move away from finite resources until they start to decrease and prices rise (bit of a pessimistic view!)

But it's so similar to all the questions everyone is predicting. What else are you hoping for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending