The Student Room Group

you are not dyslexic!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joker370
At the time she wasn't at a boarding school, but she was at a public school so parents were paying fees.

I don't think it's massively common, but any public school wants to keep as good a reputation as possible - higher reputation = more students = more fees.

Yeah she did, she struggled massively till she moved schools in year 9 to a school that placed a much higher emphasis on art (the previous school was almost entirely academically orientated), and found she was pretty good at textiles and photography. While she had some interest in some academic subjects, I think she just found it depressing that other people seemed to find it so easy in comparison to her - I probably didn't help this unfortunately :frown:.

Oh I see.. thanks for explaining. Yes I can imagine.. I was often downcast at school.. enjoyed learning but in my own way and I totally blow up my high school exam jaja.. but I'm trying to get back up.. I wish your sister best of luck and lot of success in her chosen field!!! :smile::smile: At the moment school systems all over the world dont cater as much as we'd like to different students it is quite disappointing but this is the world .. :frown:
I think we all have to do what we can in order to get ahead in life.
Original post by OU Student
:mad: Learning difficulties have nothing to do with being stupid. I have a friend who is Autistic and has a maths degree. Hardly "stupid".

I know someone who was told that her child has ADHD. The parent claimed that he's visually impaired (as diagnosed by medical professionals) and that he plays up because he's not getting the help he needs / can't do his work.

I was diagnosed as Dyslexic because I have reading difficulties and because a screening test said I was borderline. The education psychologist did a quick test and said that my memory and logic make it pretty much impossible.

That is not what I said nor what I meant. I never implied that people with learning difficulties were stupid in fact the opposite. Some people are just stupid but some people who are just stupid hide behind the possibility of having a learning difficulty when most of them don't. I never said anything of the sort about people who genuinely have a learning difficulty.
Original post by Princess of China
Even if everyone in that school were tested at school for dyslexia it is only an indicator, we do them at my school and I was picked out and then you have to pay to have an official one done, which gains you the extra time. The difference in numbers is probably to do with cost as they are expensive and then even when you are diagnosed there are extra costs on top of that.

Surprised you had to pay. I didn't have to and if I had to pay, I wouldn't have had it done.

Also about the 40 out of 150 receiving extra time (I believe that's right) not all of them will be dyslexic, there are many reasons you can receive extra time.

Exactly. I'm sure a few people are Dyslexic don't receive (because they don't need it) extra time.
Original post by hippieglitter
That is not what I said nor what I meant. I never implied that people with learning difficulties were stupid in fact the opposite. Some people are just stupid but some people who are just stupid hide behind the possibility of having a learning difficulty when most of them don't. I never said anything of the sort about people who genuinely have a learning difficulty.

that's just absurd. you're making it sound like some sort of conspiracy and there's no evidence for this whatsoever. :facepalm:
I've written lengthy responses on my views on this previously (I'm dyspraxic) and I can't be bothered to read the thread, so I'll put down two points.

1) Dyslexia =/= stupid. Some hugely intelligent people are dyslexic, and anyone who says or implies that dyslexia/dyspraxia/dyscalculia = stpuidity will make me very angry.

2) Dyslexia =/= poor reader. Everyone saying dyslexia is 'the greatest student hoax' evidently has no idea how dyslexia is tested. They don't just get you to write things and count how many words are spelt wrong, awarding you a computer and extra time if you get over a certain amount. They check how you spell things wrong. For instance, a key symptom of dyslexic literacy is spelling words in an almost phonetic way, like 'cirtinly' instead of 'certainly'.

Everyone who goes on about dyslexia and similar disorders being fake normally have no clue about the disorders or how they're tested. Read up before spilling crap out your mouths.
I'm sure I read / heard that some learning difficulties (including Dyslexia) can be seen on brain scans?
Original post by Aleandcynicism
I've written lengthy responses on my views on this previously (I'm dyspraxic) and I can't be bothered to read the thread, so I'll put down two points.

1) Dyslexia =/= stupid. Some hugely intelligent people are dyslexic, and anyone who says or implies that dyslexia/dyspraxia/dyscalculia = stpuidity will make me very angry.

2) Dyslexia =/= poor reader. Everyone saying dyslexia is 'the greatest student hoax' evidently has no idea how dyslexia is tested. They don't just get you to write things and count how many words are spelt wrong, awarding you a computer and extra time if you get over a certain amount. They check how you spell things wrong. For instance, a key symptom of dyslexic literacy is spelling words in an almost phonetic way, like 'cirtinly' instead of 'certainly'.

Everyone who goes on about dyslexia and similar disorders being fake normally have no clue about the disorders or how they're tested. Read up before spilling crap out your mouths.

Amen.
Dyslexia is quite complex. I've meet two types of dyslexic in my time-

1. The ones who use it as an excuse to be lazy
2. The ones who are open about it but try harder than anyone to meet the standards everyone else is at.
Original post by Aleandcynicism

I, myself am dyspraxic too and I applaud you for making this post and standing up for the dyspraxic peoples of the world :smile: BTW may I ask what dyscalculus is because it's a condition I haven't heard of (Is it by any chance related to Maths?)
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I, myself am dyspraxic too and I applaud you for making this post and standing up for the dyspraxic peoples of the world :smile: BTW may I ask what dyscalculus is because it's a condition I haven't heard of (Is it by any chance related to Maths?)

Dyscalcula or Dyscalculus are basically where you can't understand maths/numbers I believe, something along those lines anyway, my sister has it!

also :five: for another dyspraxic person! we should make a TSR society :biggrin: or we could have a TSR Learning Difficulties Soc, would be a good idea I think for people to talk to other people with similar issues :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by SciFiBoy

also :five: for another dyspraxic person! we should make a TSR society :biggrin: or we could have a TSR Learning Difficulties Soc, would be a good idea I think for people to talk to other people with similar issues :smile:

I think that would be a really great idea. :biggrin:

Oh and can I have a dyspraxia :five: ? (Although I will probably miss your hand :redface: )
Original post by Hravan
I think that would be a really great idea. :biggrin:

Oh and can I have a dyspraxia :five: ? (Although I will probably miss your hand :redface: )

:yep: I just need figure out how to set one up on here! :smile:

yes! :five: in fact, the first rule of the society shall be that every new member gets a welcome :five:

don't worry, I always seem to mess up high fives too!
Original post by SciFiBoy
:yep: I just need figure out how to set one up on here! :smile:

yes! :five: in fact, the first rule of the society shall be that every new member gets a welcome :five:

don't worry, I always seem to mess up high fives too!

If anyone makes a successful high five then we don't let them into the group. Simple :tongue:
Reply 194
It DOES seem like there are a very large amount of people with dyslexia. I'm not dyslexic and have fairly good English skills, but a friend of mine 'apparantly' has it. She was not only in top set English and Maths back when we were in high school, but is now studying English Languages at university. And yet she still complains when she gets less than a 2-1, that 'it's not fair because she has dyslexia, and the lexturers should make more allowances and be less biased.' Note that nothing was said when she got her 1sts or her free laptop... I realise this is an extreme case, and that a lot of people really do need and use the extra time, but it's definitely happening more and more...
Original post by LoftyRin
It DOES seem like there are a very large amount of people with dyslexia. I'm not dyslexic and have fairly good English skills, but a friend of mine 'apparantly' has it. She was not only in top set English and Maths back when we were in high school, but is now studying English Languages at university.

There is a lot more to dyslexia than being poor at reading.
Reply 196
Original post by OU Student
There is a lot more to dyslexia than being poor at reading.

Oh, I know. That's just an example. I am absolutly terrible (and I mean TERRIBLE) at Maths, and I know i'm not dyslexic, just really bad with numbers. But she would constantly talk about it, and how much more difficult her life was than ours because of it, and yet she was incredibly clever with a wonderful vocabulary and maths skills. And it certainly wasn't due to hard work! Still, i'm happy she managed to get the maks she did! :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by LoftyRin
Oh, I know. That's just an example. I am absolutly terrible (and I mean TERRIBLE) at Maths, and I know i'm not dyslexic, just really bad with numbers. But she would constantly talk about it, and how much more difficult her life was than ours because of it, and yet she was incredibly clever with a wonderful vocabulary and maths skills. And it certainly wasn't due to hard work! Still, i'm happy she managed to get the maks she did! :smile:

You may have dyscalculia - the mathematical equivalent of dyslexia - which is as real as dyslexia is. I do think that dyslexia and dyspraxia are real conditions, I know several people hampered by one or both of these conditions.
However, I feel that there are many people who fancy a bit longer to do an exam and get a diagnosis for one of those conditions in order to get this. I also feel that sometimes people are just not that clever! sometimes poor results just mean that someone is poor academically, not that there is something wrong with them that requires labelling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by rafimax
You may have dyscalculia - the mathematical equivalent of dyslexia - which is as real as dyslexia is. I do think that dyslexia and dyspraxia are real conditions, I know several people hampered by one or both of these conditions.
However, I feel that there are many people who fancy a bit longer to do an exam and get a diagnosis for one of those conditions in order to get this. I also feel that sometimes people are just not that clever! sometimes poor results just mean that someone is poor academically, not that there is something wrong with them that requires labelling.

Precisely! Just because someone is poor academically doesn't mean they are a 'failure' (As some in my old school would have put it...). They could be wonderful artists, or be fantastic at sports or drama.

I've never even heard of dyscalculia! Huh. I think it more to do with the fact that I wasn't taught well in primary school ("You don't understand? Then your stupid."), and loathed it since. Still, it's interesting to find out that there is a mathematical equivalent...
Original post by rafimax

Which gives those who do have the conditions a bad name.:mad: There are some people (like me) who just need to put a little bit more effort in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending