The Student Room Group

OCR B F335 - Chemistry by Design - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Can someone post some questions which I can answer? Thank you.. physics and chemistry are hurting me now ugh
Original post by SimpleGirl
You need to rearrange the equation to make [CO2] the subject as that's what you're trying to work out.
All the information you need is given to you apart from [H+] which will need to be calculated by using the formula for pH.

Then just substitute all the values in and you should get 2.21 x 10-3

Try it and see if you get the right answer, if not, check the spoiler :smile:

Spoiler

iloveyou
Original post by Toshiya
These papers are so synoptic, that's what's catching me out... I'll be fine with all the stuff I've just learnt and then suddenly something I haven't done for a year will pop up >_<

that's one benefit of revising for retakes, so glad I did.
Reply 183
Original post by False Utopia
that's one benefit of revising for retakes, so glad I did.

Yeah - one of my friends is taking F331, F334 and F335 this summer and she says she's finding the synoptic stuff easy... a lot easier than me at least!
Original post by navarre
Thank you so much, makes much more sense now.

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by Bi0logical
iloveyou

:giggle:
Reply 186
Original post by Bi0logical
Can someone post some questions which I can answer? Thank you.. physics and chemistry are hurting me now ugh

can you explain how to work out the redox reactions in the nitrogen cycle please?
just did a ****ing past paper for this, managed 103/120. 84 was for an A and 75 for a B, so effectively it is 102 for full UMS. Therefore I'm one above full UMS!

I'm sorted for this exam. :cool:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 188
jst 3 quick questions
do we still need to know how to make expressions for solubility of a product (Ksp) or is that only old spec?
and do we need to be able to use avagadros constant to calculate solubility or is that also part of old spec??

lastly, do we need to know how to calculate enthalpy of vaporisation?
Original post by Samzii
jst 3 quick questions
do we still need to know how to make expressions for solubility of a product (Ksp) or is that only old spec| and do we need to be able to use avagadros constant to calculate solubility or is that also part of old spec??

lastly, do we need to know how to calculate enthalpy of vaporisation?

To all of first paragraph, no. Note that you also don't need to know how to calculate Kp (pressures).

As for the last paragraph I'm not sure.
Reply 190
Original post by Ilyas
To all of first paragraph, no. Note that you also don't need to know how to calculate Kp (pressures).

As for the last paragraph I'm not sure.

okei dokeii, thanks
are u sure we dont need to calculate pressure?? its in cgp book as well as salters revision guide??

EDIT: opps yh its not in the salters one, i knew how to do pressure as well, not fair lol, shud hav stayed in spec
dnt no anything about calculating enthalpy of vaporisation though :frown: thought i jst had to learn the 4 properties of water
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 191
Does anyone know how to work out 3b (ii) on the 2010 paper? Here's a link to the paper: http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jun/ocr_57559_pp_10_jun_gce_f335.pdf?

If anyone could show me it'd be appreciated. I keep on getting an answer of 2 x 10-28, but the mark scheme says the answer is 4 x 10-20.

Thanks.
Reply 192
Original post by navarre
Does anyone know how to work out 3b (ii) on the 2010 paper? Here's a link to the paper: http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jun/ocr_57559_pp_10_jun_gce_f335.pdf?

If anyone could show me it'd be appreciated. I keep on getting an answer of 2 x 10-28, but the mark scheme says the answer is 4 x 10-20.

Thanks.

((conc of B) x moles of B ) x ((conc of C) x moles of C) / ((conc of A) x moles of A)

i think you just forgot to times the concentration by the moles
Original post by navarre

Thanks.

Kc=[CO]2[O2][CO2]2K_c = \frac{[CO]^2[O_2]}{[CO_2]^2}

can you see why now?

EDIT: You are actually correct, 4x10^-20 is correct. Look at the ms.

Original post by 301lw
((conc of B) x moles of B ) x ((conc of C) x moles of C) / ((conc of A) x moles of A)

no. Raise it to the power of the mole, don't multiply.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by navarre

Thanks.

Kc = [CO]^2 x [O2] / [CO2]^2

You're given these values, so;

Kc = (2x10^-8)^2 x (1x10^-8) / (1x10^-2)^2

= 4 x 10^-20

I hope you can read that okay, not entirely sure how to do super and subscript on the forum!
wow can do anytone do the jan06 2854 paper, its insanely hard :frown:..i want to see if its a hard paper or isit just me?
Reply 196
Original post by 301lw

I thought I was doing that...

Please can you go through it so I can see what I was doing wrong?
Reply 197
Original post by Toshiya
Kc = [CO]^2 x [O2] / [CO2]^2

You're given these values, so;

Kc = (2x10^-8)^2 x (1x10^-8) / (1x10^-2)^2

= 4 x 10^-20

I hope you can read that okay, not entirely sure how to do super and subscript on the forum!

Hmmm, I got 2 x 10-20, which is closer...

I think my mistake before was adding up in stead of multiplying the top numbers. Stupid mistake but an easy one...
Original post by Ilyas
Kc=[CO]2[O2][CO2]2K_c = \frac{[CO]^2[O_2]}{[CO_2]^2}

can you see why now?

EDIT: You are actually correct, 4x10^-20 is correct. Look at the ms.

no. Raise it to the power of the mole, don't multiply.

bro do the january 2006 2854 paper, and tell me if you find it harder than all other pastpapers :smile:
Original post by master_blaster66
bro do the january 2006 2854 paper, and tell me if you find it harder than all other pastpapers :smile:

what's the boundary for an A?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending