The Student Room Group

OCR B F335 - Chemistry by Design - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Ilyas
same here, 4 and 3 and didn't quote shifts. Did you say no splitting? I said that, because there is only one central carbon atom (where C=O is attached) and that -OH group causes no splitting...

yh, I said the same except for the latter point, I just said no adjacent carbons with hydrogen for both bonds
Original post by moodychopin
your ####ing me...

No it didn't but i drew it out... wrongly! :frown:
Original post by Toshiya
Do you think there'll be more than one answer? I think the question said 'suggest' so surely what I drew (attached) also works?

But it said in the question that water was lost so wouldn't the atoms removed have to be in the hydrogen oxygen ratio 2:1?
Reply 983
Original post by Cleoleo
oh ****, did it say draw it ???

no but i chode too :tongue:
OMG! that was one of the hardest papers ever!! wht were they thinkin?? hopefully the f334 will b much easier... though iv lost all motivation now :frown:
Really really hated this exam. Can't believe OCR feels the need to depress all their students with an exam that we couldn't answer!
Reply 986
what did people put for the colour change of the indicator
Reply 987
Original post by Ilyas
same here, 4 and 3 and didn't quote shifts. Did you say no splitting? I said that, because there is only one central carbon atom (where C=O is attached) and that -OH group causes no splitting...

Yeah I said that too - and then ratios 4:2:1:1 and 3:2:1
Reply 988
Original post by Ilyas

It was no splitting for 1 of them, but the OH group with a CH2 next to it would cause some splitting.

Original post by InkyOne
Don't worry - it didn't say to draw it, there was just a lot of space underneath

Yeah, I just talked about how the substitution preserved the delocalised system and gave it stability instead of addition. And named bromoalkene and bromobenzene.

Original post by Alex J
Although thats true, its not really a direct benefit it has on the environment. I don't think the mark scheme will say that unfortunately.

Hmmm, we'll see, you're probably right.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 989
Original post by 1lozza1

orange to green ?
Original post by Rainbow_2010
OMG! that was one of the hardest papers ever!! wht were they thinkin?? hopefully the f334 will b much easier... though iv lost all motivation now :frown:

we are all just sitting on here thinking the same thing haha
I think that this was an A* paper aimed at the A* students mainly. Bye bye A* :frown:
Original post by avataraang
No it didn't but i drew it out... wrongly! :frown:

thank god, they shouldnt penalise you for drawing anything though, if they didnt ask for it.
Original post by InkyOne
Don't worry - it didn't say to draw it, there was just a lot of space underneath

I drew both just in case... a benzene ring with no double bonds and 6 Br atoms around, and then I wrote the real equation (not kekule):

Benzene + Br2 -> Bromobenzene (?) + HBr

originally kekule would be electrophillic addition, but in reality it is electrohpillic substitutiom.

that is all I can remember for this one...

EDIT: oh, and benzene doesn't go under electrophillic addition becuase of the stable delocalized ring thingy.
Reply 994
Original post by Cleoleo
orange to green ?

i put yellow to blue green... will that be okay :s-smilie:
Please please please OCR... if you have any compassion please lower the grade boundaries below 80.
Reply 996
Original post by Cleoleo
orange to green ?

Yup - same here
Reply 997
Original post by 1lozza1

For the aldehyde thing? Orange to green.
Reply 998
Original post by Cleoleo
for the nmr q, did people get one had 4 proton environments and one had 3 ? (there was just the one nmr question with infrared right?)
i didn't quote any chemical shifts :/

i think so, i also quoted shifts.. but did you say that it had no splitting as it wasnt attatached to any carbons whch had H's attatached?
did everyone put colourless to brown for the colour change, right at the start. I just remembered that one...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending