The Student Room Group

Calling all Physicists!

I'm in the middle of my A2 Advancing Physics coursework in which I'm investigation the surface tension of water. However I haven't done AS/A2 maths and am finding the equations really difficult, i.e. I don't even know which ones are relevant and how I'd use them. I'm trying to find a link between the surface tension and viscosity of water and then comparing these results when surfactants are added. If anyone has any wisdom on the subject then I'd be immensely grateful if they'd give me a few pointers, or even confirmation that what i'm trying to do isn't impossible! I've tried my physics teacher but he's refusing to comment as he'd not allowed to give input at all!
Many thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Do you mean density of the fluid because that is possible.
Reply 2
bumblebee9
I'm in the middle of my A2 Advancing Physics coursework in which I'm investigation the surface tension of water. However I haven't done AS/A2 maths and am finding the equations really difficult, i.e. I don't even know which ones are relevant and how I'd use them. I'm trying to find a link between the surface tension and viscosity of water and then comparing these results when surfactants are added. If anyone has any wisdom on the subject then I'd be immensely grateful if they'd give me a few pointers, or even confirmation that what i'm trying to do isn't impossible! I've tried my physics teacher but he's refusing to comment as he'd not allowed to give input at all!
Many thanks in advance :smile:

Jesus Christ. You are really trying a hard experiment. Okay, think about this. Surface tension is a force holding the liquid together. You need to think about when that force is strongest, and when you can measure it. Here is an example, get a pipette from the chem dept. You can use this to create droplets, these, when they fall from the pipette will be of a size where the surface tension is less than what is needed to support the weight of the liquid in the droplet.
Reply 3
The experiment is very hard indeed!!! I think it would be immensely difficult to measure the force that holds the liquid together (as the person above suggested).. What you really need to do is to relate the force that holds the liquid together with it's viscosity.. possible maybe investigate how temperature affects surface tension as viscosity changes (ever so slightly) with temperature.. (as guess that depends on the fluid as well)..
Reply 4
Thanks guys :smile: What I'm planning to do is squirt water of a constant pressure (i.e not from a tap but via a constant head device) through a tube that I will tilt at different angles up and down. Then I will see at which angle the water is ejected, or runs back down the edge of the tube (ie like pouring tea from a teapot that runs back down the side of the teapot and misses the cup.) This is called the Coanda Effect. I was going to then reduce the viscosity of the water by adding different concentrations of soap (or some kind of surfactant) and see how much the angle differs. This is all well and good to waffle on about but I haven't actually got any real maths to prove it all... The coanda effect is linked to the viscosity of the liquid and that to the surface tension, but how I'm not really sure! So if there are any mathsy people who happen to have come across this before?! Many thanks to all suggestions!
Reply 5
bumblebee9
Thanks guys :smile: What I'm planning to do is squirt water of a constant pressure (i.e not from a tap but via a constant head device) through a tube that I will tilt at different angles up and down. Then I will see at which angle the water is ejected, or runs back down the edge of the tube (ie like pouring tea from a teapot that runs back down the side of the teapot and misses the cup.) This is called the Coanda Effect. I was going to then reduce the viscosity of the water by adding different concentrations of soap (or some kind of surfactant) and see how much the angle differs. This is all well and good to waffle on about but I haven't actually got any real maths to prove it all... The coanda effect is linked to the viscosity of the liquid and that to the surface tension, but how I'm not really sure! So if there are any mathsy people who happen to have come across this before?! Many thanks to all suggestions!

Oh dear. The Coanda Effect. Its best if you avoid the concept of the Coanda effect, and tbh I don't think there is any surface tension effect, as lamina flow hardly can be described as having a surface tension.
Reply 6
I don't think changing the viscosity would make a good experiment as you are not dealing with fluid flow. It would be much better to change the density (you could change the temperature and get the values from a table) as it is a variable in all surface tension equations.

You could then use either the capillary rise method or Jaeger's method to measure surface tension (gamma).

You could google these experiments or if i can find a scanner i will attach some diagrams and equations.

Latest