The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Well at least I know that I can successfully label the active site and substrate! :nothing:
Original post by MajonaZ
You boil it with hydrochloric acid then add sodium something to neutralise the acid for non-reducing sugars

Sodium hydrogencarbonate or sodium hydroxide would be fine, assumably any base would be accepted, but who knows.
Original post by John Dogg
i put amylose was made of a glucose monomers and that sugar was b glucose. same thing right ?

It's not the same thing. I'm not sure if you can write about the type of glucose molecules becasuse how could you tell that Agrose (or whatever it's called) has B-Glucose?
Reply 3983
Original post by TheGirlNextDoor
Yeah I put fungi because they are multinucleate.

Was that the one that said hyphae?

Hypahae gives it away :P
Original post by twizzzzzzter
Sodium hydrogencarbonate or sodium hydroxide would be fine, assumably any base would be accepted, but who knows.

OCR have accepted Sodium Hydroxide before, I imagine any realistic base would do. :smile:
Reply 3985
Argh I put Biochemical and Genetic for forms of variation :s-smilie: Thats 7 marks gone

What did everyone put for the one about sheep?
i hope grade boundaries are low. but as they do the tests like this and dont let you show off your knowledge, it makes the grade boundaries so close! then its just an unfair representation of how you did. so stupid.
Original post by Axion
Ocr sure are a fan of low grade boundaries!

They probably have never heard of 100% before

F211 I had 90/90 UMS.
F213 I had 60/60 UMS.
Reply 3988
Original post by Axion
that elastin and enzyme one. WTF

why are they known as models?!?!?!

I said they are very simplistic. What did you all put?

tbh, in terms of the question I couldnt care less.

That's what I put - that they couldn't really represent what actually happened because we have no way of determining it? basically most of my answers were bs.
Original post by eimmas.
I thought that it was definitely a challenging paper - but, I kind of expected there to be a lot of 'suggest' type questions because OCR has recently decided to put more of those bad boys as an extra bonus. The questions about the experimental design was really hard and I completely didn't revise the food tests from first year. (I'm a second year resitting the exam)

Reducing sugars are tested by benedicts solution right? how are non-reducing sugar tested? I put that you needed to carry out the reducing sugar test and add something - I didn't even name what was added :')

I put that for the non-reducing sugar you boil the sample with hydrochloric acid then cool and neutralise with hydrogen carbonate. Then I put you use the Benedict's test and it would turn from blue to orange/red precipitate if present. Anyone else get that?
Original post by Mutley44
Argh I put Biochemical and Genetic for forms of variation :s-smilie: Thats 7 marks gone

Something about choosing the best wool producing etc amongst the flock and then selectively breeding those specific sheep. God knows.
Original post by mattymorse
I think that's wrong :frown: agarose had 1-3 and 1-4 glycosidic bonds! Similarity- alternating inverted monomers! Difference- agarase, 1-3 and 1-4, the other has just 1-4

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I put:
Similarity = both straight chain
Difference = amylose doesn't have 1-4 bonds

Would that be right do you think? :smile:
Original post by niaghez
amylose is branched though? i thought its branched???

the difference is that amylose consists of glucose subunits
For the 5 marker reducing sugar test. Did you have to do it with or without a colorimeter?
Original post by Mutley44

Interbreed a sheep with high meat content with one with high amounts of wool.
Original post by Axion
Was that the one that said hyphae?

Hypahae gives it away :P

I have no idea if it said hyphae in the question but all I saw was "...many nuclei scattered around..." and concluded that it was fungi :smile:
pure *******s having two exams on the same day, i wrote about speciation for that two types of variation question. oh well **** does indeed tend to happen frequently with OCR
GAHHHHHHHH i want to cry!!!
I hate the word 'suggest'!! No i don't want to bloody suggest
Just ask me questions on the actual specification ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Reply 3998
Original post by twizzzzzzter

I put sodium carbonate, I'm guessing that's wrong? :frown:
Original post by raj007007007
For the 5 marker reducing sugar test. Did you have to do it with or without a colorimeter?

Without a colorimeter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending