The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
HEY GUYS
howz revising going for everyone
oh man mod 3 is giving me a hard time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Rainingshame
Animals also have them that is also the composition of glycogen("animal starch"). Oh and i hate biodiversity as well it's so boring, i actually fell asleep in the lesson we did it...

Actually no, because starch is made up of amylose and amylopectin like you said. But Glycogen and starch are two different things not to be confused on. Where glycogen is made up of beta glucose with branches I believe. But their properties you can say are quite similar. They are both storage if energy. and you are right that animals have a similar composition like plants which is glycogen. Good luck.:smile:
Original post by Future_Dr
Actually no, because starch is made up of amylose and amylopectin like you said. But Glycogen and starch are two different things not to be confused on. Where glycogen is made up of beta glucose with branches I believe. But their properties you can say are quite similar. They are both storage if energy. and you are right that animals have a similar composition like plants which is glycogen. Good luck.:smile:

no.... glycogen is just smaller, other than that's it's the same....the only one we have to remember for B-glucose is cellulose, it wouldn't make sense if glycogen was made up of B-glucose as it would be useless for us as we can't break down B-glucose.
Original post by otrivine
no dont say that you are dumb ! even i did not know it at first ! i dont like the biodiversity topic as well lost 23 marks in the jan 2012 paper only for this chapter :mad:

1) - can study how closely two species are related
- study their behaviour / physiology
- fossil dates
- embryology
- DNA sequencing and Cytochrome C sequencing

Yeah that's exactly what I've got :smile: You're turn :smile:

Original post by AishaTara
yeah I wouldnt bother trying to predict, as may end up missing key stuff in the syallbus or getting let down if you dont get what you expected. Plus its to do with application nowadays so it'll be harder to predict, and everything asked will be related to what we know.
good luck

Okay that's pretty good advice, if they've asked a big 10 marker on it, can I be safe to say that , that topic won't come up in great detail. Apart from maybe 2/3 markers? :smile:
no.... glycogen is just smaller, other than that's it's the same....the only one we have to remember for B-glucose is cellulose, it wouldn't make sense if glycogen was made up of B-glucose as it would be useless for us as we can't break down B-glucose.

Oh yeah sorry it's me getting cellulose and glycogen confused again. :colondollar: Yes you are right that they have similar conpositions but they are different in terms of structure and bonding like I said.
Glycogen, unlike amylose has 1-6 glycosidic bonds. This consequently make it difficult to form helices like amylose. Therefore they're not tightly coiled. But however yes they are very similar. cheers.:smile:
Original post by Harriet : )

Okay that's pretty good advice, if they've asked a big 10 marker on it, can I be safe to say that , that topic won't come up in great detail. Apart from maybe 2/3 markers? :smile:

what is the effect of high salt intake?(2)

I wouldn't say that, because you never know, but because there are so many big markers they could ask in unit two, I'd doubt it except maybe on water that could easily come up again as theres only a page about it in the textbook. Because its application in unit two I think you may get a big marker which you have to put stuff into context rather than just writing out.
what is the effect of high salt intake?(2)

High salt intake, increases blood pressure and lowers the water potential of blood. This put pressure on the heart to pump it round and increases the risk of heart attacks.
High salt intake, increases blood pressure and lowers the water potential of blood. This put pressure on the heart to pump it round and increases the risk of heart attacks.

Spot on well done :wink:
my go
Spot on well done :wink:
my go

Describe how hydrogen bonding occurs between molecules. (3)
Describe how hydrogen bonding occurs between molecules. (3)

- between hydrogen and oxygen atom
- between positive electronegative (deta + ) and negative electronegative (deta -)

- for the third mark i would draw the structure
- between hydrogen and oxygen atom
- between positive electronegative (deta + ) and negative electronegative (deta -)

- for the third mark i would draw the structure

Exactly! Okay ask me one more and then I'm going to revise a bit of Law but I'll probably be back later :smile:
Exactly! Okay ask me one more and then I'm going to revise a bit of Law but I'll probably be back later :smile:

ok
What kingdom is parrots?
ok
What kingdom is parrots?

Eukaryotes :smile:
Eukaryotes :smile:

Wait is not Animals cause Eukaryotes is for domain right?
Wait is not Animals cause Eukaryotes is for domain right?

Yeah you're right, 5 kingdoms are fungi, protoctists, prokaryotes, animals and plants :smile:
Yeah you're right, 5 kingdoms are fungi, protoctists, prokaryotes, animals and plants :smile:

can you give me :wink:
can you give me :wink:

Oh sorry my bad!
Describe the chemical test for finding the presence of a reducing sugar (5)
Reply 178
I'm finally starting crack. i'm struggling with the first two modules, i think i might cry during biodiversity......

I hate biodiversity!

We've just finised our syllabus a week ago. :redface:

Does anyone know the last time a big biodiversity question came up???

<3 x
Time to finally join in the F212 thread! I'm willing to help others with any questions they may have but could others also ask me a few questions, too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending