The Student Room Group

My name is not "Hey Baby"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Schemilix
1) Anyone calling OP sexist doesn't understand that many people regard sexiness as an attitude derived largely from charisma and behaviour, as much as physical appearance. There's also a difference between finding the face appealing and finding the body appealing.

2) If I see one more person blame women for dressing how they want for getting harassed, I will punch something. To compare a human being to property (in the first place, let alone to justify a point) is ridiculous - and also leaving one's door unlocked does not mean one was asking for it. The blame is always on the one breaking the law. If people were discouraged from harassment instead of being told, 'oh it's her fault if she's dressing badly!' or 'oh it's his fault, he's in prison he deserves to be raped!' is pretty damn terrible and frankly ridiculous.

'Oh, honey, you were raped? Better cover yourself up in future, sweetheart, it's all your fault, a man can't control his impulses around you, so it's your fault and not his!' Is a common mindset and is restrictive and insensitive towards the woman and contributes to a negative stereotype of men being brutish and sexually driven (and makes those very few men that are think that it's OK.)

So yes, your attitudes do matter. Everybody is entitled to think as they please, as I am entitled to point out that it contributes to unhealthy stereotypes and mental views.

(By the way a feminist is any man or woman who believes in equal rights for everyone regardless of sex and often gender to boot. Self-defined feminists and radical feminists may often exhibit bad behaviours, but most people are in fact 'feminists'. For the record I do not define myself as feminist, as this word is female-centric and undermines the suffering caused to men by gender-stereotyping and double standards, suffering which should never be ignored and should be treated as seriously as women, even if it is considered to be 'less common' (since men rarely report these things due to being forced by society to ignore their emotions and sadness, in case they are mocked!))

Just my two boondollars.

No one blames the victim. They just tell them to take precautions and *some* women start screaming and crying about victim blaming and how they should be able to dress however they want whenever they want despite the fact that men can't do that without facing certain consequences.
Original post by TheSownRose
Being a bit overweight and wearing loose clothes, glasses and no make up seems to do it. :colonhash:

Me, everyday, literally everyday.
Me and My mate had our arses grabbed on the train by girls in our school uniform :| if I did the same thing to them they'd have call me a pervert. Women always love to play the victim.
Reply 123
Just listened to it, very interesting to hear the debates.
Original post by Jackso
No one blames the victim. They just tell them to take precautions and *some* women start screaming and crying about victim blaming and how they should be able to dress however they want whenever they want despite the fact that men can't do that without facing certain consequences.

Oh so someone might get a bit lairy if a man wears pink. Therefore it's totally okay to blame women for showing a bit of boob, therefore removing all blame from the man, because 'she didn't try hard enough'. So as well as being raped, thus humiliated and traumatised and likely alienated as being 'spoiled', instead of being given help she will be told that because she wore that shirt and put on some make-up to like how she looked in the mirror, she was clearly asking for it. Because all women who dress up to look good are doing so expressly to get attention from men, and even if they are, boo hoo if it's forced on them when they're clearly not interested!

Everyone is expected to dress a certain way, it's society. Nobody is complaining that people have to dress in a certain manner to get by - a woman can wear trousers, but a man is likely to be catcalled and beaten if he has the audacity to wear a skirt. And everyone will blame him either, for breaking societal rules. Does that mean that, because he wore a skirt, he deserves to be beaten, because he didn't take the necessary precautions? He put on a little piece of fabric one day, and suddenly he deserves to be beaten and maybe even raped himself (as a lot of rapes against men are as 'punishment' and for 'dominance').

If you think that, because he could avoid it by suppressing himself, that he deserves to be beaten... then you and I will never agree. If you think a woman deserves rape, deserves molestation, deserves lewd comments that make her uncomfortable in her body (to which she is not allowed to protest even in a civil manner), if you think that showing some cleavage and her thighs means that you have a ticket to violate her, then, well, maybe I am screaming and crying. And I will continue throwing this tantrum until people listen.

No matter the crime, the blame is on the perpetrator. There are very, very few exceptions to this in my eyes and these are much more extreme and complicated than, 'she was dressing provocatively, I couldn't control myself because clearly I have no free will and she is a devil-slut'.

You have made two major mistakes in my eyes.
a) Stated that the only people who decry rape culture are female and,
b) Used the words 'screaming and crying' to imply hysteria just because someone doesn't agree with you.

Yes, precautions can be taken. So because a woman doesn't, she deserves what she gets?

EDIT: tl;dr, saying a woman could have prevented it is victim blaming. Saying it isn't doesn't mean it isn't. It is. And even if it weren't, it's insensitive and completely useless. What's she going to do, go back in time and wear a better top? Many rapes aren't sexually motivated, by the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Finbarr
As for this "you can't pick and choose...", yes one most certainly can pick and choose, that is entirely the way it works, in fact, that's the basic presumption upon which the woman dresses and lives every aspect of her life, quite properly.

Your entire argument is based on this flawed premise. You do not have the right to deny someone their own right to attempt to initiate whatever contact they want, by this I mean you cannot claim someone has done something wrong if they approach you. You do have the right to end the interaction when you want or ignore the attempt at initiation entirely, and you do have the right to request the individual do not approach you again, meaning you can claim someone has done something wrong if they continue despite you requesting they stop. By being in a public place in whatever state, you accept that people can approach you in any appropriate way. Something like calling "hey baby" is only inappropriate if you ask the person to stop and they do not.

Let's make a parallel. Saying that nobody has the right to approach you unless you choose them to approach you implies that someone handing out fliers is not allowed to approach you to give the flier. Incorrect. They have that right, and you have the right to take it or not. You also have the right to ask them to stop trying to give you the flyer if they continue to follow you. In the same way, people on the street have the right to approach you, with sexual propositions or not, you cannot pick and choose who has this right. But you have the right to ignore them or request they stop attempting interaction.

Attempting to control people's behaviour when it does not encroach on yourself is immoral. Yes, consistently badgering someone is harassment and shouldn't be allowed. No, going up to an attractive person and saying "do you want to have sex" is not harassment (albeit a little odd) and you can only ignore that person and move on, or accept the proposal, not complain that they are not allowed to ask.
Original post by Sharri5
British men are ignorant and sexist. Fact. Feel sorry for the women :colonhash:

Yeye just generalise a country of 70 million, it's kl.
Oh so someone might get a bit lairy if a man wears pink. Therefore it's totally okay to blame women for showing a bit of boob, therefore removing all blame from the man, because 'she didn't try hard enough'. So as well as being raped, thus humiliated and traumatised and likely alienated as being 'spoiled', instead of being given help she will be told that because she wore that shirt and put on some make-up to like how she looked in the mirror, she was clearly asking for it. Because all women who dress up to look good are doing so expressly to get attention from men, and even if they are, boo hoo if it's forced on them when they're clearly not interested!

Everyone is expected to dress a certain way, it's society. Nobody is complaining that people have to dress in a certain manner to get by - a woman can wear trousers, but a man is likely to be catcalled and beaten if he has the audacity to wear a skirt. And everyone will blame him either, for breaking societal rules. Does that mean that, because he wore a skirt, he deserves to be beaten, because he didn't take the necessary precautions? He put on a little piece of fabric one day, and suddenly he deserves to be beaten and maybe even raped himself (as a lot of rapes against men are as 'punishment' and for 'dominance').

If you think that, because he could avoid it by suppressing himself, that he deserves to be beaten... then you and I will never agree. If you think a woman deserves rape, deserves molestation, deserves lewd comments that make her uncomfortable in her body (to which she is not allowed to protest even in a civil manner), if you think that showing some cleavage and her thighs means that you have a ticket to violate her, then, well, maybe I am screaming and crying. And I will continue throwing this tantrum until people listen.

No matter the crime, the blame is on the perpetrator. There are very, very few exceptions to this in my eyes and these are much more extreme and complicated than, 'she was dressing provocatively, I couldn't control myself because clearly I have no free will and she is a devil-slut'.

b) Used the words 'screaming and crying' to imply hysteria just because someone doesn't agree with you.

Yes, precautions can be taken. So because a woman doesn't, she deserves what she gets?

EDIT: tl;dr, saying a woman could have prevented it is victim blaming. Saying it isn't doesn't mean it isn't. It is. And even if it weren't, it's insensitive and completely useless. What's she going to do, go back in time and wear a better top? Many rapes aren't sexually motivated, by the way.

No, no, no! That's the typical knee-jerk reaction that doesn't understand what the point is. The point is that the real world is not ideal - we know there are rapists out there just as we know there are robbers out there. So we don't dress provocatively just as we don't leave our houses unlocked. In both cases we shouldn't HAVE to act this way, but in both cases we would be seen as having made an error if we left our house unlocked or wore provocative clothing. You're not "asking for it" if you leave your house unlocked, but you're certainly acting irresponsibly if you want to keep your possessions. And if you are raped or robbed, it is in neither case the victim's fault but entirely the rapist's/burglar's fault, but we can see that taking the precaution would have been sensible given the actual state of the world. (in rape cases this doesn't quite work because provocative clothing is not linked highly to rape incidence, but the point stands better for sexual harassment in general)

The only reason people see the clothing in sexual harassment situation differently to the burglary analogy is that many people have an obsession with appearances, and want to pick and choose who is "allowed" to approach them or enjoy their appearance, which will never be possible. Of course actions towards educating people on sexual harassment and rape to reduce the number of people who perpetrate the crimes are always good, but until society is perfect it makes sense to dress less provocatively if you find that not doing so makes you feel uncomfortable due to any harassment in social situations.
Original post by Hypocrism
No, no, no! That's the typical knee-jerk reaction that doesn't understand what the point is. The point is that the real world is not ideal - we know there are rapists out there just as we know there are robbers out there. So we don't dress provocatively just as we don't leave our houses unlocked. In both cases we shouldn't HAVE to act this way, but in both cases we would be seen as having made an error if we left our house unlocked or wore provocative clothing. You're not "asking for it" if you leave your house unlocked, but you're certainly acting irresponsibly if you want to keep your possessions. And if you are raped or robbed, it is in neither case the victim's fault but entirely the rapist's/burglar's fault, but we can see that taking the precaution would have been sensible given the actual state of the world. (in rape cases this doesn't quite work because provocative clothing is not linked highly to rape incidence, but the point stands better for sexual harassment in general)

The only reason people see the clothing in sexual harassment situation differently to the burglary analogy is that many people have an obsession with appearances, and want to pick and choose who is "allowed" to approach them or enjoy their appearance, which will never be possible. Of course actions towards educating people on sexual harassment and rape to reduce the number of people who perpetrate the crimes are always good, but until society is perfect it makes sense to dress less provocatively if you find that not doing so makes you feel uncomfortable due to any harassment in social situations.

I'm sorry but I stopped reading when you again compared the concept of protecting one's personal property to the right to not be raped. Feel free to try again with a response that's better thought out. I'll reply to the points I think you'll be trying to make and the ones I did read:

I understand that it can be prevented. I understand society isn't ideal. That doesn't make the concept okay. It's a defeatist attitude - and it is victim blaming. Besides, define 'dressing provocatively'. In inches of cleavage and thigh revealed, please.

Besides I also detest the notion that a woman, for instance, showing off her bum is because she wants male attention (assuming she's not a lesbian). It doesn't. Secondly, many women do - and those women aren't asking to be raped either.

Saying that a woman deserves it is not okay. When someone is demoralised and has to go through one of the most difficult processes related to the law, reminding her at every step that she could've prevented it will really not help.

It is as simple as that.
♪♪♪ Heeyyy hey baby (uh ah) ♪♪♪
♪♪♪ I wanna knooowww if you'll be my girl ♪♪♪
Reply 130

I nor anyone else is removing all blame from a rapist, you’re just making this stuff up now. Stop being ridiculous and over emotional and actually think about it. There is nothing wrong with being precautious. My friend, there is a league of difference between dressing up to “look good” and dressing up so that men stare and all women know when they are wearing seductive clothing, you’re making them sound like naïve innocent children which is actually just as bad as anything you accuse me of. I personally would never go around wearing a skirt because, as you said, I’d get increasingly angry comments which would escalate into being beaten.

I think a woman who shows off their thighs and their cleavage doesn’t deserve to be raped, but they also don’t deserve much respect. Rapists and women who do that need to learn to think about their own actions, you can’t deny the latter is at least partially responsible.

1. They mainly are. You’re male?
2. I use it because these specific people usually get so ridiculously up in arms about it that it is just irritating. I found your post quite annoying because it was so over-dramatic, as I explained above.

No. But she’s learned a valuable lesson.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jackso
I nor anyone else is removing all blame from a rapist, you’re just making this stuff up now. Stop being ridiculous and over emotional and actually think about it. There is nothing wrong with being precautious. My friend, there is a league of difference between dressing up to “look good” and dressing up so that men stare and all women know when they are wearing seductive clothing, you’re making them sound like naïve innocent children which is actually just as bad as anything you accuse me of. I personally would never go around wearing a skirt because, as you said, I’d get increasingly angry comments which would escalate into being beaten.
I think a woman who shows off their thighs and their cleavage don’t deserve to be raped, but they also don’t deserve much respect. Rapists and women who do that need to learn to think about their own actions, you can’t deny the latter is at least partially responsible.

1. They mainly are. You’re male?
2. I use it because these specific people usually get so ridiculously up in arms about it that it is just irritating. I found your post quite annoying because it was so over-dramatic, as I explained above.

No. But she’s learned a valuable lesson.

So you can say that someone 'screams and cries' but that's okay because it's you, it's not like you're a dirty feminist who thinks victims should be treated with courtesy and respect to help them to overcome their trauma. Not emotional at all, nope.

I mean, because you don't like women showing their thighs and boobs, it's totally okay for you to talk down to a woman whose entire psyche has been damaged, because, well, you just don't like the ladies who do that, so they're beneath human compassion. Clearly.

I am indeed male, mostly.

And implying that a woman has a right to wear what she likes isn't acting like she has no mind of her own. That's not even partially relevant, stop overreacting, goooddddd.

Original post by Jackso

...learned their lesson...

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lil Piranha
I'm getting the feeling none of you have actually listened to the programme, and are just spouting the usual responses...

I listened to the programme even though the thought of rape makes me a bit ill; but tbh OP your argument is very flawed and if you bothered to properly read the comments on here rather than dismiss them you'd realise that

Sorry OP, But you've been well and truly s*** on
To be honest, some men will leer after women no matter what they wear, it's just the way they are (and same goes for women behaving in a similar way so not for this to sound one-sided). However I do think women and men should be allowed to wear whatever they like without people overstepping the boundaries. What those boundaries are is quite hard to judge sometimes, but if in doubt, don't is probably your best bet.

I haven't listened to the radio programme however have read about the Slut Walks at uni, so apologies if I'm just repeating what has already been said.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 134
So you can say that someone 'screams and cries' but that's okay because it's you, it's not like you're a dirty feminist who thinks victims should be treated with courtesy and respect to help them to overcome their trauma. Not emotional at all, nope.

I mean, because you don't like women showing their thighs and boobs, it's totally okay for you to talk down to a woman whose entire psyche has been damaged, because, well, you just don't like the ladies who do that, so they're beneath human compassion. Clearly.

I am indeed male, mostly.

And implying that a woman has a right to wear what she likes isn't acting like she has no mind of her own. That's not even partially relevant, stop overreacting, goooddddd.

Nothing wrong with feminists, I agree with them. Radical feminists, however, are the ones I have the problem with. They generally are the one holding your views. And this is probably going to come as a shocker to you, but if I get into my desired career I'll most likely be trying to help a lot of rape victims.

I also don't like men who walk around with their shirt either off or open if that helps you at all?

Never said that, bro.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
To be honest, some men will leer after women no matter what they wear, it's just the way they are (and same goes for women behaving in a similar way so not for this to sound one-sided). However I do think women and men should be allowed to wear whatever they like without people overstepping the boundaries. What those boundaries are is quite hard to judge sometimes, but if in doubt, don't is probably your best bet.

I haven't listened to the radio programme however have read about the Slut Walks at uni, so apologies if I'm just repeating what has already been said.

i agree!

of course when im dressed for a night out..and i get on the tube at 7pm cos i have to get to a friends pre drink party...then YES i am aware that guys will comment, and i dont expect anything less. but in all honesty it DOESNT matter what you wear, one time i was dressed all in black...very professional walking to work..and guys would whistle and stuff..and i mean, i would say i looked sexy that day..no part of my body was showing...i did have make up on, and my hair was a bit styled. but thats it. i think if you're a girl, guys will comment when you walk passed them in an allyway, if you're an attractive girl to them, they will comment no matter what it is you're wearing, and if you're dressed sexy showing flesh, then they will undress you with your eyes publicly.

end of.
I'm sorry but I stopped reading when you again compared the concept of protecting one's personal property to the right to not be raped.

I stopped at this, because, to be honest, when you're making a COMPARISON, the details of the two hypotheticals aren't EXACTLY THE SAME.

No, I'm kidding, I read your response because I'm not going to be an immature prat.

Why can't I compare thievery to rape? Why don't you think it's a proper comparison? Both are negative consequences, that you can take steps to avoid, it involves someone invading your privacy, doing something that they require consent to do without your consent. To be honest, I think you're wrong in saying it's not a good comparison. I suspect your (again, knee-jerk) reaction was because you're thinking "Ahh it's rape, the worst possible thing that can happen to a person, nothing can be used as a comparison, it's in a world of its own." The comparison I used was to point out how your whole thinking process is flawed and stirred up by the emotions surrounding rape. I'm not being insensitive towards rape victims, I'm trying to bring the debate onto rational ground and away from the ridiculous "Slutwalk" parades that just make the situation worse on both sides.

I understand that it can be prevented. I understand society isn't ideal. That doesn't make the concept okay. It's a defeatist attitude - and it is victim blaming. Besides, define 'dressing provocatively'. In inches of cleavage and thigh revealed, please.

What concept? The concept that if you don't like something you should take steps to avoid it in the short term and remove it in the long term? That's a pretty logical concept to me, and there's no victim blaming in there anywhere. Where did I say the victim was to blame? - I purposefully bolded myself saying that it was the rapist/robber's fault entirely. (But I guess, you didn't actually read my post, did you?) You may not like it but IT'S LOGICAL.

I'm not going to waste my time defining it, you know exactly what it means, and the point in any case is not having a barrier that says "Your dress must be this low on your knee to be considered a victim in rape". No. It's about relativeness. Obviously a 2 inch skirt is going to be more provocative than a 10 inch skirt, so the 2 inch is considered "more provocative" than the 10 inch skirt and therefore is more of a risk for sexual harassment.

Besides I also detest the notion that a woman, for instance, showing off her bum is because she wants male attention (assuming she's not a lesbian). It doesn't. Secondly, many women do - and those women aren't asking to be raped either.

Did I say this? Kindly point out where I said that anybody was dressing for male or any other attention. I think you will find I did not. I only talked about dressing provocatively. This could be intentional, trying to attract men, or women, or whatever turns you on. It could be unintentional, you just like wearing a miniskirt, but the CONSEQUENCE is that it's arousing and provocative.

Saying that a woman deserves it is not okay. When someone is demoralised and has to go through one of the most difficult processes related to the law, reminding her at every step that she could've prevented it will really not help.

Again, where did I say that a woman deserves it? Please point out exactly where I said that. Actually I think I specifically said that dressing provocatively is not "asking for it". (But I guess, you didn't actually read my post, did you?) I am saying that, if people do not want to be sexually harassed (or raped, but that wasn't the original topic) they can take measures to reduce the chance of this happening. It isn't right that they should need to do this, but the world is not ideal, and in ALL other situations we expect people to protect themselves from undesirable situations, and that is not equivalent to saying that if you don't do that, you deserved it. I don't see why sexual harassment/rape should be treated any differently.

I also don't know where the law stands on this, but I know there are limited police resources, and as a utilitarian I would have to say that given the choice of being able to investigate only one of two rape cases, all else being equal, the case where the woman took more care to protect herself should be considered of higher priority.
Original post by HoneyFlux
i agree!

of course when im dressed for a night out..and i get on the tube at 7pm cos i have to get to a friends pre drink party...then YES i am aware that guys will comment, and i dont expect anything less. but in all honesty it DOESNT matter what you wear, one time i was dressed all in black...very professional walking to work..and guys would whistle and stuff..and i mean, i would say i looked sexy that day..no part of my body was showing...i did have make up on, and my hair was a bit styled. but thats it. i think if you're a girl, guys will comment when you walk passed them in an allyway, if you're an attractive girl to them, they will comment no matter what it is you're wearing, and if you're dressed sexy showing flesh, then they will undress you with your eyes publicly.

end of.

Precisely. If anything I get whistled at more when I'm wearing my work clothes! Maybe it's something to do with looking smart :tongue:
Original post by Hypocrism
X

Moral high ground achieved! I thought your arguments were reasonable and your tone was respectful, but now you've proven you're no better than any other keyboard warrior who considers anyone they disagree with to be 'immature', so I'm afraid any further argument is going to be inane and draining.

Your mind will not change, nor will mine. Best to leave it at that. You're free to have the last word and consider this a victory.
Moral high ground achieved! I thought your arguments were reasonable and your tone was respectful, but now you've proven you're no better than any other keyboard warrior who considers anyone they disagree with to be 'immature', so I'm afraid any further argument is going to be inane and draining.

Your mind will not change, nor will mine. Best to leave it at that. You're free to have the last word and consider this a victory.

Wait, you think you have the moral high ground how? You basically ignored my first post, which I pointed out was immature, and now you've ignored my second post too. Now THAT'S immature-you should go back over both of those posts and actually reply to them, you will find your assumptions about my view were wrong, as I showed when you put two phrases in my mouth that I actually argued against.

My mind will change if you give a convincing argument, that's relevant to what I actually say not what you think I say, and I can't find a reply to it. Can you say the same about yourself, or are you just going to ignore an argument which I think should at least change the way you think about your debate opponents? I don't want some stupid online victory, I want to actually talk about an issue and either change someone's mind or have my own mind changed.

We are on the SAME SIDE-we are both trying to support rape victims. It is just that you attempt to bring the long term situation into the short term by trying to change society immediately which will not happen, and so I think it would be counterproductive. I argue that we should protect ourselves in the short term while aiming for that same long term objective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending