The Student Room Group

Masters in Finance at 'lower tier'...worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ads22uk
Thank you, I have had a look at Henleys if only briefly in the last few days and it seems to be well reputed. My particular issue and the reason i created this thread was because I was worried that by not going to a 'top' uni as you also mentioned, and by going somewhere like Henley's or Lancaster, whether it would create any barriers for someone in the future.

I know the topic of reputation is highly subjectiive, but like I said there seemed to be a general consensus that if you didn't go to places like LBS, Warwick, Oxford or LSE then you may be overlooked in some particular fields such as 'Front Office' jobs as also mentioned earlier in the thread. I appreciate the suggestion though, I'm just in the process of weighing up my options (Either to go to a lower tier less expensive uni this september or save up and apply to a top uni in 2013.

Well. I've had a senior commodities analyst at an investment bank tell me that he feels like Henley is a very good school with a better standard of education than one of the schools you've just mentioned (and actually the school I will be going to) so make of that what you will. While disappointed, I prefer the course structure of the course I am attending so will still be going.

He also mentioned that in his line of work the uni attended is only really important at Cv sift stage and at interview, the person is more important.

Henley really does have a good reputation in the industry, in surprised more isn't said about it here To be honest
Reply 21
Original post by RoaminBlue
Well. I've had a senior commodities analyst at an investment bank tell me that he feels like Henley is a very good school with a better standard of education than one of the schools you've just mentioned (and actually the school I will be going to) so make of that what you will. While disappointed, I prefer the course structure of the course I am attending so will still be going.

He also mentioned that in his line of work the uni attended is only really important at Cv sift stage and at interview, the person is more important.

Henley really does have a good reputation in the industry, in surprised more isn't said about it here To be honest

Why did you say you're disappointed? Also..I haven't personally checked the course structure, though in all honesty I think that the value of the courses from the 'better' universities probably won't vary all that much, but where you get it from will be important.
Reply 22
Original post by ads22uk
Why did you say you're disappointed? Also..I haven't personally checked the course structure, though in all honesty I think that the value of the courses from the 'better' universities probably won't vary all that much, but where you get it from will be important.

I probably phrased it badly. I will be attending one of the "top" universities that you mentioned and a person who I spoke to told me that he thought Henley had a better standard of teaching than the institution that I have a place at.

Personally I think henleys icma center certainly looks appealing, and I think has a good reputation within the finance industry. How good, I couldn't say. But is think it would certainly be worth exploring further
Reply 23
Remember, at the most significant point (in terms of impact on your career) is at the candidate assessment stage. Call it a "sift" if it simplifies things. What is important here is not how good the course is, but how good the assessor thinks it is: the network effect of positive feedback. There is surprisingly little attention paid to brand recognition of universities in preference to "rankings". When the assessor has little else to measure quantitatively, the university brand benchmark and your performance within it gives him something to reference.

TBD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending