The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of Uni?

I go to a Russel Group Uni which is good but I am unsure if I want to stay because I don't like it here after being here for 2 months. It is dull and lonely and depressing me enough that I am getting very behind on work. I started applying to a few degree apprenticeships but I am unsure if I should go for it.
I have a few questions:

1.Is the salary for a degree apprenticeship lower than a new graduate from a russel group uni by a lot?

2.Is a degree apprenticeship certification worth the same as a uni degree?

3.Can I get into better fields with an apprenticeship instead of a uni degree like investment banking (I do accounting and finance degree right now)

4.If I do a degree apprenticeship in accounting/similar could I then get into fields like business consulting later in life (random example)

Overall apprenticeships sound much more appealing and all my friends who do them are happy but I cannot say the same for my friends that went to Uni. Thank you:smile:
Reply 1
Degree apprentice graduate here:

1.Is the salary for a degree apprenticeship lower than a new graduate from a russel group uni by a lot?
I wish this was taught at school… you don’t stay at your graduate salary for the rest of your life. Your wage increases to reflect your performance and cost of living / inflation. This is personal to your own performance and employer preferences. A degree apprentice won’t be paid a graduate salary until they’ve graduated, but a full time uni student won’t be paid at all until they’ve graduated.

Also, Russell means nothing unless you plan on doing at least a Masters degree and do research. You’re unlikely to be involved with any worthwhile equipment or projects in a bachelors.

If the apprenticeship says you’re studying a bachelors degree, it’s the equivalent to full time. Mine was a BEng (Hons) and certified by the IMechE.

3.Can I get into better fields with an apprenticeship instead of a uni degree like investment banking (I do accounting and finance degree right now)4.If I do a degree apprenticeship in accounting/similarcould I then get into fields like business consultinglater in life (random example)
It depends on what employers there are. If you aspire to go uni full time to get your dream job at Google, wouldn’t it make more sense to be trained at Google on a sponsored degree instead?
Regardless. You’d have the same application opportunities as a full time graduate with the same degree, but with actual work experience and proven competence.
Reply 2
Original post by Chris2892
Degree apprentice graduate here:

I wish this was taught at school… you don’t stay at your graduate salary for the rest of your life. Your wage increases to reflect your performance and cost of living / inflation. This is personal to your own performance and employer preferences. A degree apprentice won’t be paid a graduate salary until they’ve graduated, but a full time uni student won’t be paid at all until they’ve graduated.

Also, Russell means nothing unless you plan on doing at least a Masters degree and do research. You’re unlikely to be involved with any worthwhile equipment or projects in a bachelors.

If the apprenticeship says you’re studying a bachelors degree, it’s the equivalent to full time. Mine was a BEng (Hons) and certified by the IMechE.

3.Can I get into better fields with an apprenticeship instead of a uni degree like investment banking (I do accounting and finance degree right now)4.If I do a degree apprenticeship in accounting/similarcould I then get into fields like business consultinglater in life (random example)
It depends on what employers there are. If you aspire to go uni full time to get your dream job at Google, wouldn’t it make more sense to be trained at Google on a sponsored degree instead?
Regardless. You’d have the same application opportunities as a full time graduate with the same degree, but with actual work experience and proven competence.

Basically summarise from what I have learnt, but ill say do some applications before dropping out completely or take gap year to figure out what u want!
Reply 3
I'd say keep looking and apply for apprenticeships you like the look of. See if you get any offers. By then you will have given your course a bit more time and will have more insight into the degree apprenticeship after the interview. Then decide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending