The Student Room Group

Masters in Finance (advice)

hi all, I want to get into masters in finance either in Oxford, LSE, HEC, and perhaps UCL or Imperial. Maybe even some in US
However I don't have finance background. I've studied management and got 2.1 from Russell Group Uni and worked in more commercial role (Sales and buying) in large global company for less than 2 years.
I did have some finance and econ courses in first year, and also I have been in finance clubs and consultancy clubs as well.
I still haven't done GMAT so I know it's hard to say, but I am aiming at +750.
Apart from academics and experience, I also played sports (during school I won some small championships), speak 3 languages, and know some programming as well.
I'm pursuing some internships or perhaps FT roles in finance now, so I can add it to my application in October, but not sure if that's smart to do, or should I focus on GMAT completely.
Do I have any chance at all of getting admitted to any top tier business school finance program?
Thanks
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by basqit
hi all, I want to get into masters in finance either in Oxford, LSE, HEC, and perhaps UCL or Imperial. Maybe even some in US
However I don't have finance background. I've studied management and got 2.1 from Russell Group Uni and worked in more commercial role (Sales and buying) in large global company for less than 2 years.
I did have some finance and econ courses in first year, and also I have been in finance clubs and consultancy clubs as well.
I still haven't done GMAT so I know it's hard to say, but I am aiming at +750.
Apart from academics and experience, I also played sports (during school I won some small championships), speak 3 languages, and know some programming as well.
I'm pursuing some internships or perhaps FT roles in finance now, so I can add it to my application in October, but not sure if that's smart to do, or should I focus on GMAT completely.
Do I have any chance at all of getting admitted to any top tier business school finance program?
Thanks

Firstly, why do you want to do a master's in finance? Unless you intend to do a PhD in a finance related subject, it's not really going to help much (this applies to the same in the US).
Secondly, have you looked at the entry requirements for the finance degrees at these universities? Most of them should say something along the lines of requiring a quantitative undergrad (e..g. maths, physics, engineering, finance, economics) as opposed to an undergrad in management
GMAT is only required for a handful of universities, and you would definitely need a lot of practice before doing it. 750+ is not going to be easy to get since the top score is 800, and that a number of Harvard MBA students (not applicants) get 750. I believe LSE is only asking for 640+

As interesting as your sports, languages, and programming skills are, they are not likely going to help you much with the UK universities (not completely sure about the French applications). The extra curricular stuff tend to work for US universities more.

If you're applying for internships in finance, then you're more or less going straight into industry. You will quickly find that you don't need a degree in finance to do any job in the financial industry. Instead, you will need finance professional qualifications specific for the role that you want to apply for. This will vary from role to role and country to country. There is some overlap with some qualifications in a number of countries (e.g. accounting, CFA), but these are not common.

I think what would help the most is the activity in the finance club. If your personal statement mentions about going into financial research, then it would help a lot. Other things I would mention include reputable finance books (especially if they're on the uni's recommended reading lists for applicants), financial newspapers, and research journals in finance.

If you're looking into a joint degree in economics, then you would need to do a postgrad conversion course in economics before enrolling on a quantitative economics and finance related master's.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Firstly, why do you want to do a master's in finance? Unless you intend to do a PhD in a finance related subject, it's not really going to help much (this applies to the same in the US).
Secondly, have you looked at the entry requirements for the finance degrees at these universities? Most of them should say something along the lines of requiring a quantitative undergrad (e..g. maths, physics, engineering, finance, economics) as opposed to an undergrad in management
GMAT is only required for a handful of universities, and you would definitely need a lot of practice before doing it. 750+ is not going to be easy to get since the top score is 800, and that a number of Harvard MBA students (not applicants) get 750. I believe LSE is only asking for 640+

As interesting as your sports, languages, and programming skills are, they are not likely going to help you much with the UK universities (not completely sure about the French applications). The extra curricular stuff tend to work for US universities more.

If you're applying for internships in finance, then you're more or less going straight into industry. You will quickly find that you don't need a degree in finance to do any job in the financial industry. Instead, you will need finance professional qualifications specific for the role that you want to apply for. This will vary from role to role and country to country. There is some overlap with some qualifications in a number of countries (e.g. accounting, CFA), but these are not common.

I think what would help the most is the activity in the finance club. If your personal statement mentions about going into financial research, then it would help a lot. Other things I would mention include reputable finance books (especially if they're on the uni's recommended reading lists for applicants), financial newspapers, and research journals in finance.

If you're looking into a joint degree in economics, then you would need to do a postgrad conversion course in economics before enrolling on a quantitative economics and finance related master's.

thanks a lot for your reply!

I want to get into masters of finance because firstly, I regret not doing it sooner, I though I was not competent enough and I regret doing management for my undergrad, I really want to develop my career in more analytical and strategic roles (such as consulting) and in order to get a job e.g. in top consulting firms they would want me to have top tier business school behind me. Also, I really like to study and challenge myself.

In terms of the requirements, majority of these don't require finance background, but they want to see my interests in finance, and regarding the GMAT I have been preparing for it for couple of months now, and I am aware how hard it is, but I stopped working to fully prepare for it so I do hope I am on the right track for +750.

And yes in terms of internships, I have been offered full time roles in finance, and still have some interviews for FT roles, which I think will be challenging to accept it since I won't have time to prepare for GMAT also, it's not consulting so... I was just thinking of doing internship to show them that I am interested in finance/consulting, because a lot of applicants have some sort of internships.

Also, RE extracurricular activities, you might be correct, but I remember during open days of Oxford, the director of the program was saying, something like that they care how unique you are, and what you can offer apart from academia, because majority will have first class and +740 GMAT, so they are looking for unique and different candidates. Though they might just say that, and maybe they don't actually give a F

Not sure I have any chances in the US though, I haven't look at their unis that much since Europe was my main focus
Original post by basqit
thanks a lot for your reply!

I want to get into masters of finance because firstly, I regret not doing it sooner, I though I was not competent enough and I regret doing management for my undergrad, I really want to develop my career in more analytical and strategic roles (such as consulting) and in order to get a job e.g. in top consulting firms they would want me to have top tier business school behind me. Also, I really like to study and challenge myself.

In terms of the requirements, majority of these don't require finance background, but they want to see my interests in finance, and regarding the GMAT I have been preparing for it for couple of months now, and I am aware how hard it is, but I stopped working to fully prepare for it so I do hope I am on the right track for +750.

And yes in terms of internships, I have been offered full time roles in finance, and still have some interviews for FT roles, which I think will be challenging to accept it since I won't have time to prepare for GMAT also, it's not consulting so... I was just thinking of doing internship to show them that I am interested in finance/consulting, because a lot of applicants have some sort of internships.

Also, RE extracurricular activities, you might be correct, but I remember during open days of Oxford, the director of the program was saying, something like that they care how unique you are, and what you can offer apart from academia, because majority will have first class and +740 GMAT, so they are looking for unique and different candidates. Though they might just say that, and maybe they don't actually give a F

Not sure I have any chances in the US though, I haven't look at their unis that much since Europe was my main focus

I really want to develop my career in more analytical and strategic roles (such as consulting) and in order to get a job e.g. in top consulting firms they would want me to have top tier business school behind me.
Are you sure this is the case? To my understanding a lot of consulting roles require nothing specific in terms of academics (except high grades). Where they are offering graduate roles, they tend to accept any degree so long the person has a lot of good connections (usually imply getting the degree from a top uni).
If anything, I tend to hear they want general MBAs over MScs in finance. Yes, these tend to be top tier business schools, but we're talking about global rankings (not UK rankings). e.g.
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/mba-rankings/global/2022
https://rankings.ft.com/rankings/2909/mba-2023

In terms of the requirements, majority of these don't require finance background, but they want to see my interests in finance
Then you should be fine then. These won't be the quantitative degrees, but I don't think they would help with analytical roles.

If you're specifically looking into finance related analyst roles, then you're better off with something like CIMA or CFA as opposed to a degree in finance (assuming you want to stay in the UK). For something in general consulting, the degree you have should have been fine (but then again I don't work in consulting for big firms).
Legally speaking, anyone with next to nothing can call themselves a consultant. The only thing people require in practice is that you have a track record of some kind in achieving the sort of result that clients want.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
I really want to develop my career in more analytical and strategic roles (such as consulting) and in order to get a job e.g. in top consulting firms they would want me to have top tier business school behind me.
Are you sure this is the case? To my understanding a lot of consulting roles require nothing specific in terms of academics (except high grades). Where they are offering graduate roles, they tend to accept any degree so long the person has a lot of good connections (usually imply getting the degree from a top uni).
If anything, I tend to hear they want general MBAs over MScs in finance. Yes, these tend to be top tier business schools, but we're talking about global rankings (not UK rankings). e.g.
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/mba-rankings/global/2022
https://rankings.ft.com/rankings/2909/mba-2023

In terms of the requirements, majority of these don't require finance background, but they want to see my interests in finance
Then you should be fine then. These won't be the quantitative degrees, but I don't think they would help with analytical roles.

If you're specifically looking into finance related analyst roles, then you're better off with something like CIMA or CFA as opposed to a degree in finance (assuming you want to stay in the UK). For something in general consulting, the degree you have should have been fine (but then again I don't work in consulting for big firms).
Legally speaking, anyone with next to nothing can call themselves a consultant. The only thing people require in practice is that you have a track record of some kind in achieving the sort of result that clients want.

In London for example take McKinsey, while technically they do except people with different backgrounds, they do look what school you went to more than grades. If you have Oxford behind you, despite having 2.1 it is easy to get in, but if you have average uni, it won't be that easy. I've tried already!
In terms of the MBA, perhaps, but here in the UK people don't tend to do MBA that early in the career, and certainly I don't want to do it now, maybe later in life. Also, a lot of these programs I mentioned in my post, state that people tend to go to consulting, and Oxford does promote consulting in their program a lot.

And yes while a lot of people can call themselves consultant and work in smaller average firms, and certainly I can do that now, however I really want to work for top consultancy firms, hence I see masters in finance will help me get there. Perhaps I want to go later in more finance oriented role, I would still have good base if I go to finance masters.

And again, thanks a lot for being 'devil's advocate' :smile:
Reply 5
A key advantage of an Executive MBA IIM India is networking with a diverse group of accomplished professionals. It encourages participants to share experiences, exchange ideas, and learn from each other in a collaborative environment. During the program, you'll make valuable connections, gain mentorship opportunities, and possibly collaborate.
Hi,

You might be interested in the Finance MSc at Cranfield: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters-courses/finance
This postgraduate finance course (formerly Finance and Management MSc) is ranked as a UK top 10 and world top 50 Finance Master’s in International Business Rankings.
There are new merit-based (10-20%) and regional-based (£10,000) scholarships available for 2024 entry.

Gemma
2nd year Environment & Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending