The Student Room Group

Core 1 - Questions involving "Square root"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A general exams rule seems to be that when a power is numerically stated, you only need to give the positive answer. If they actually have root9 shown rather than 9 to the half, then you would need to show +or-

At least that's what my teacher has told us...
Original post by Mr Tough
A general exams rule seems to be that when a power is numerically stated, you only need to give the positive answer. If they actually have root9 shown rather than 9 to the half, then you would need to show +or-

Oh dear.
Reply 22
Original post by Mr Tough

Did your teacher really told you this?

I didn't expected this from you.
Reply 23
Original post by Mr M
Oh dear.

This guy got 100 in both C1 and C2.
Original post by raheem94
This guy got 100 in both C1 and C2.

I wouldn't worry about it. I saw this guy admit he had no idea about it a couple of weeks ago on twitter. He even tried to argue it was wrong.

http://cambridge.academia.edu/JamesGrime
Reply 25
Original post by Mr M
I wouldn't worry about it. I saw this guy admit he had no idea about it a couple of weeks ago on twitter. He even tried to argue it was wrong.

http://cambridge.academia.edu/JamesGrime

Why you linked me to this guy? Who is he?

Who admitted, the guy you linked me to or Mr Tough?
Why you linked me to this guy? Who is he?

Who admitted, the guy you linked me to or Mr Tough?

The guy I linked you to is a relatively well-known professional maths educator who did not know the definition of the square root.

His videos are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4rRC0bc3xE
(edited 11 years ago)
:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:
Reply 28
Original post by Mr M
The guy I linked you to is a relatively well-known professional maths educator who did not know the definition of the square root.

His videos are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4rRC0bc3xE

:shock:
Original post by TenOfThem
:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:

He is the singing banana not the dancing badger.
Original post by Mr M
He is the singing banana not the dancing badger.

I was just getting excited

Then I went and watched different versions of the badger song whilst I was on YouTube

The best was Potter Potter Potter

"A snape, A snaaaaape"
I am surprised, i thought most students will know this.

I'm also surprised I didn't know this :P It's probably because I self-studied and so never had a teacher to tell me.
Reply 32
Original post by Junaid96
I'm also surprised I didn't know this :P It's probably because I self-studied and so never had a teacher to tell me.

I also self-studied but i thought this was very common thing to know, so i was surprised.

You should remember that the graph of y=x y= \sqrt{x} doesn't gives any negative values.
(edited 11 years ago)
I also self-studied but i thought this was very common thing to know, so i was surprised.

You should remember that the graph of y=x y= \sqrt{x} doesn't gives any negative values.

Yeah I used to think the same thing until mid-way through year 12. And this genuinely was from poor clarity from teachers. As was said above by TenOfThem; in early GCSE and year 9 etc. my teacher said things like what's the answer to x=4x = \sqrt{4} and we'd be told off for just saying 2.

In fact, if you scroll back through my posts far enough I think you'll find a thread where Mr. M and nuodai (I think it was them) corrected me on this whole thing. :tongue:

I don't even think about it now though and know it correctly; but it's easy to run away with incorrect theory if things aren't made clear in earlier teaching (GCSE).

I had to tell my friend about this thing when he did a question wrong just a couple of weeks ago and he's currently on an A in A-level Maths and Physics.

Yeah so basically; it's a pretty common mistake and I see it on this forum a lot!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
Yeah so basically; it's a pretty common mistake and I see it on this forum a lot!

This.
Reply 35
Original post by hassi94
Yeah I used to think the same thing until mid-way through year 12. And this genuinely was from poor clarity from teachers. As was said above by TenOfThem; in early GCSE and year 9 etc. my teacher said things like what's the answer to x=4x = \sqrt{4} and we'd be told off for just saying 2.

In fact, if you scroll back through my posts far enough I think you'll find a thread where Mr. M and nuodai (I think it was them) corrected me on this whole thing. :tongue:

I don't even think about it now though and know it correctly; but it's easy to run away with incorrect theory if things aren't made clear in earlier teaching (GCSE).

I had to tell my friend about this thing when he did a question wrong just a couple of weeks ago and he's currently on an A in A-level Maths and Physics.

I will get mad if i try to scroll back through your posts :mad:

I really didn't knew that people have confusion on this, when the other guy said he didn't knew it, i thought he is trying to troll.

So your teacher in year 9 wasn't clear about this concept as well, right?
I will get mad if i try to scroll back through your posts :mad:

I really didn't knew that people have confusion on this, when the other guy said he didn't knew it, i thought he is trying to troll.

So your teacher in year 9 wasn't clear about this concept as well, right?

Haha there are a lot of them so I probably wouldn't advise it :wink:

Yeah there's a lot of genuine confusion. And that's right; as I said I only learnt that it was wrong when I was told on TSR. :tongue:
WOW! I am on FP2/FP3 and I had no idea, one thing though

x2=4    x2=4 \displaystyle x^2 = 4 \implies \sqrt {x^2} = \sqrt 4 and 4=+2 \displaystyle \sqrt 4 = +2 as the
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \sqrt

function gives the positive value.

so how come x=±2 \displaystyle x = \pm 2 ?

And if x2=7 \displaystyle x^2 = 7 then would x=7 \displaystyle x = \sqrt7 or ±7 \displaystyle \pm \sqrt 7 ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94

This! :smile:
Original post by member910132
WOW! I am on FP2/FP3 and I had no idea, one thing though

x2=4    x2=4 \displaystyle x^2 = 4 \implies \sqrt {x^2} = \sqrt 4 and 4=+2 \displaystyle \sqrt 4 = +2 as the
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \sqrt

function gives the positive value.

so how come x=±2 \displaystyle x = \pm 2 ?

And if x2=7 \displaystyle x^2 = 7 then would x=7 \displaystyle x = \sqrt7 or ±7 \displaystyle \pm \sqrt 7 ?

Not really sure what you're asking in your top line. x2=4    x=±4x^2 = 4 \implies x = \pm\sqrt{4} What you wrote is correct but that is only one answer as you only took the positive square root of both sides.

and for the second bit, ±7\pm\sqrt{7}

Quick Reply

Latest