The Student Room Group

the curve c has equation y = x squared + 3px + 8p where p is a real constant.

the curve c has equation y = x squared + 3px + 8p where p is a real constant. the straight line L has equation y = 1 - 2x given that L does not intersect C find the set of possible values of p giving your answer in exact form
Original post by Mohamedbib
the curve c has equation y = x squared + 3px + 8p where p is a real constant. the straight line L has equation y = 1 - 2x given that L does not intersect C find the set of possible values of p giving your answer in exact form

So what do you think this implies in terms of solutions? Are there any real solutions?
Reply 2
Original post by olygilly
make x^2 +3px+8p = 1-2x and solve, getting a second grade eq which discriminant must be <0 bc they do not intersect (no real sol). You get 9p^2-20p+8<0. Solve for x and you get 0.523<x<1.699
While you may be correct, please allow the OP to solve it for themselves. Detail the steps involved to solve the question but no mention of numbers or doing the calculation for them.

It's like getting someone to do something for them - they won't learn if you do this.

Also, I haven't actually checked your working but from a first glance, looks ok.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by vnayak
While you may be correct, please allow the OP to solve it for themselves. Detail the steps involved to solve the question but no mention of numbers or doing the calculation for them.

It's like getting someone to do something for them - they won't learn if you do this.

Also, I haven't actually checked your working but from a first glance, looks ok.
Looks like they've removed their post now, but the question asks for exact form, so wouldn't get any marks for a decimal approximation at the end!
Original post by vnayak

You need to edit your quote!
Reply 5
Original post by chavvo
Looks like they've removed their post now, but the question asks for exact form, so wouldn't get any marks for a decimal approximation at the end!
History has proven itself correct again lol! I'm always that one person who doesn't read the full question. In my year 12 further Maths mocks (we do Year 1, year 2 normal maths in year 12 and then all of the further stuff in year 13), there was this trig question that ask us to do the solutions in radians and I did them in degrees and then just left it like that.

Also, I don't know what it is but I always seem to mess up the discriminant. I can do it now but I used to actually have problems with it.

Quick Reply

Latest