The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Economics Unit 3 - 12th June 2012 PM

Scroll to see replies

Evaluate the view that "trade unions raise wage rates for their members, but only at the expense of jobs"

What points could you consider?
Yes they do raise the wage rates in a competitive labour market which will be at the cost of jobs as firms reduce their workforce. If it is a monopsony they counterbalance the fall in employment.
But what else is there to write about? :s
Reply 181
Original post by imsosuperman
Evaluate the view that "trade unions raise wage rates for their members, but only at the expense of jobs"

What points could you consider?
Yes they do raise the wage rates in a competitive labour market which will be at the cost of jobs as firms reduce their workforce. If it is a monopsony they counterbalance the fall in employment.
But what else is there to write about? :s

Wouldn't it depends on the union, those who are in a union who's labour is supply inelastic due to the high MRP required in their jobs, even if they do seek a wage increase they could see little fall in employment. Furthermore they have more bargaining power.

Also for many businesses, the minimum wage could be a small increase to their total costs thus not leading to many workers being laid off.

Also, higher wages raise productivity through incentives and wanting to work more hours which is a supply side policy i believe. This can make businesses more allocatively and productively efficient increasing MRP and MPP making them more competitive overseas.

These may be some points to consider, not 100% sure though. Hope i've helped.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 182
Also does anyone have a model Answer on how to break up monopolies or collusive oligopolies x
Does anyone know what is likely to come up? Because I don't want to revise everything because you only get tested on a small amount really. I know no one can really predict but maybe based on what came up last time or what hasn't came up recently?
Reply 184
Original post by Wulf chan
Does anyone know what is likely to come up? Because I don't want to revise everything because you only get tested on a small amount really. I know no one can really predict but maybe based on what came up last time or what hasn't came up recently?

Poverty is pretty much almost a sure thing.
Reply 185
Original post by Jorgeyy
Since Jake did not provide an answer for 1, you might want to consider intervention as a possibility, that is, government regulatory systems such as OFGEM in the gas/electricity markets, which aim to promote, or at least threaten monopolies with contestability.

Oh okay than you
But for a 25 marker on evaluate how to reduce a monopoly to a contestable market there should be 3 arguments right
So 1 - reduce barriers to entry
2 - regulate with OFGEM/ competition commission and oft
But the third? Oh I hope contestable markets don't come up Lol x
Reply 186
Thank*
Reply 187
Original post by zahmed1
Oh okay than you
But for a 25 marker on evaluate how to reduce a monopoly to a contestable market there should be 3 arguments right
So 1 - reduce barriers to entry
2 - regulate with OFGEM/ competition commission and oft
But the third? Oh I hope contestable markets don't come up Lol x

Would subsidies come under barriers to entry? I hope it doesn't some up either. "Are oligopolies good or bad" will be a good essay haha, can wing some marks there.
Reply 188
Original post by Jakeeyy
Would subsidies come under barriers to entry? I hope it doesn't some up either. "Are oligopolies good or bad" will be a good essay haha, can wing some marks there.

I have no idea Lol I think subsidies can help firms enter the market but subsidies it self don't lower the barriers to entry
I was thinking maybe ways to make a mono more contestable reducing barriers to entry and exit but if it's a state mono then privatise it maybe?
If anyone has any example essays/questions or anything on market structures, that's be great!

Any kind of evaluative points at all would be really useful.
Reply 190
Original post by zahmed1
I have no idea Lol I think subsidies can help firms enter the market but subsidies it self don't lower the barriers to entry
I was thinking maybe ways to make a mono more contestable reducing barriers to entry and exit but if it's a state mono then privatise it maybe?

Sunk costs/start up costs is a barrier to entry. Wouldn't subsiding businesses help reduce these costs?
Reply 191
If a question came up on theory of the firm and it was something like 'Profit maximisation is always the main objective of firms.' Discuss.

How would you argue that profit maximisation is always their main objective? I know you could talk about other points such as other objectives, lack of info to profit maximise, divorce of ownership, principle-agent problem etc, but how do you argue that firms wills always profit maximise?

Do you say things such as profit being their main objective in starting up businesses, shareholder pressure and managers wanting to build up their prestige through becoming profit maximising individuals etc?
Reply 192
Original post by Hemzo
If a question came up on theory of the firm and it was something like 'Profit maximisation is always the main objective of firms.' Discuss.

How would you argue that profit maximisation is always their main objective? I know you could talk about other points such as other objectives, lack of info to profit maximise, divorce of ownership, principle-agent problem etc, but how do you argue that firms wills always profit maximise?

Do you say things such as profit being their main objective in starting up businesses, shareholder pressure and managers wanting to build up their prestige through becoming profit maximising individuals etc?

The key here is evaluation of the word "Always". You give various arguments why firms profit maximise and argue it is the main objective. However, you could also talk about the other objectives you suggested and why firms would do those things.

The conclusion would evaluate "always" and maybe suggest that profit maximisation is "usually" the main objective, but in certain circumstances, eg, divorce of ownership and control, others may be more important.
Reply 193
Original post by ninegrandstudent
If anyone has any example essays/questions or anything on market structures, that's be great!

These are all I havee
Original post by zahmed1
Hey was wondering if you guys can help

1) how do you make a monopoly more contestable?
2) how do you reduce barriers to entry

Thanksss

Taxation on excess profits (windfall tax)
Break up of mergers
Original post by ninegrandstudent

Market Structure
Micro Economic Essays
1. Discuss how firms within an oligopolistic market compete.
2. Discuss whether monopoly is always an undesirable form of market structure.
3. Explain how interdependence and uncertainty affect the behaviour of firms in
Oligopolistic markets
4. Evaluate the view that only producers, and not consumers, benefit when
oligopolistic firms collude to try to reduce the uncertainty they experience.
5. Explain why contestable markets generally function more efficiently than non-
contestable markets.
6. Explain various barriers to entry to a market and how these barriers might
affect market structure.
7. In the past, utility industries such as the postal service, electricity and gas,
have been heavily protected by entry barriers. Evaluate the possible effects on
efficiency and resource allocation of removing these barriers.
8. Explain the meaning of price discrimination and the conditions necessary for
price discrimination.
9. Evaluate the view that, because price discrimination enables firms to make
more profit, firms, but not consumers, benefit from price discrimination.
10. Evaluate different ways in which governments could make markets more
competitive.
11. Discuss the extent to which new technology, such as the internet, has
increased or decreased the competitiveness of markets.
Original post by Hemzo

Corporate citizenship- firms might want to look friendly to the environment by receding their carbon footprint. This is an example of loyalty which is an example of non-price competition used by oligopoly as well.
Reply 197
How are you all revising the day before the exam? Just practising essays? It feels so unproductive to write an essay because it could be on a completely irrelevant topic?
Original post by Axellia
How are you all revising the day before the exam? Just practising essays? It feels so unproductive to write an essay because it could be on a completely irrelevant topic?

I feel the same way though you do get a choice of questions :colone:
Reply 199
Potential Evaluation

Elasticity of Demand. E.g. the impact of an increase in price depends on the price elasticity of demand. If demand is inelastic, a tax rise will have little impact in reducing demand.

Time Lags. Any issue may have a time lag, e.g. a price war may be beneficial for consumers in short term, but not long term if firms are forced out of business.

Depends on industry in question. E.g. a merger could lead to economies of scale. This is more likely to occur if there are high fixed costs in the industry. The benefits of a merger will be different in oil industry to supermarkets.

Market structures are only theories. For example, the kinked demand curve is a possible outcome, but in practise many other factors determine oligopolies.

Depends on Objectives of firms. Economics usually assumes firms are profit maximisers. But, in practise, there may be many other issues at stake sales max, revenue maximisation, profit satisficing.

Significance of a Factor. One advantage of monopoly economies of scale may outweigh the small disadvantage of productive inefficiency in the short run.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending