The Student Room Group

AQA A2 US Politics thread (Units 3A 11th and 4A 14th)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by sachi
There is one from edexcel titled 'How and why is federalism enshrined in the Constitution?'

Thankyou!
Reply 161
Original post by blondie :)
Can anyone tell me what clientelism is? I have nothing in my notes about it at all!

I really hope if there's a question on federalism it's a nice question... :frown:

Where rather than carrying out the wishes of their President, they carry out policies that are in interest of their department, favour their superiors of their department rather than the President.
Reply 162
Original post by Jakeeyy
Cant they be impeached? Some guy called Roy was impeached for something. Think it was being accused of taking bribes.

"Though subject to the process of impeachment, only one Justice has ever been impeached and no Supreme Court Justice has been removed from office." - wiki sats it was Samuel Chase :smile:

Other checks are the nomination and confirmation process as well as their constraints like they can only act on cases brought to them, congress can change the no. of justices on the court, the S.C. interpretations can be overturned by constitutional amendments like the 16th amendment and informally their rulings can be ignored
Reply 163
Original post by sachi
"Though subject to the process of impeachment, only one Justice has ever been impeached and no Supreme Court Justice has been removed from office." - wiki sats it was Samuel Chase :smile:

Other checks are the nomination and confirmation process as well as their constraints like they can only act on cases brought to them, congress can change the no. of justices on the court, the S.C. interpretations can be overturned by constitutional amendments like the 16th amendment and informally their rulings can be ignored

Got the reason right then, but the justice wrong haha! Oh yeah and you can say their rulings are not implemented. Like the case of Brown Vs Board of Education, they didn't mingle blacks and whites together until years afterwards.
With regard to Supreme Court ten mark questions, could there be a question on judicial neutrality? There was one on independence last year.
Reply 165
Does anyone have any supreme court 30 marker predictions? I'm thinking maybe politicisation/too powerful.
Anyone have any sample essays on the above or any sample essays at all for that matter?
Reply 166
Original post by Jakeeyy
Where rather than carrying out the wishes of their President, they carry out policies that are in interest of their department, favour their superiors of their department rather than the President.

I think you have that mixed up with 'going native' or possibly imperialism? Clientelism, in my notes, is when they start to serve outside interests more - it's related to 'iron triangles.' They serve their clients more than the executive. What you've described is more the federal bureaucracy serving its own needs more than the president's.
Reply 167
Original post by Todd
I think you have that mixed up with 'going native' or possibly imperialism? Clientelism, in my notes, is when they start to serve outside interests more - it's related to 'iron triangles.' They serve their clients more than the executive. What you've described is more the federal bureaucracy serving its own needs more than the president's.

Yeah i got them mixed up. Totally forgot about iron triangles. Either way i could not like to mention clientelism, unless i was talking about constraints of the President, even so i would just stick to going native.
Reply 168
Original post by PVisitors
Progressive Federalism basically along the lines of;

- In favour of State rights.
- States are more 'progressive' than the lobbyist clogged Federal government and are more effective for precision policy
- Federal govt. is needed for the 'general welfare and liberty'. Suggests that he is using 'implied powers' as a justification for this. (Could be worth checking on what clause the defence are using for his Healthcare reforms legal case to find out more.)
- Federal govt. legislates when States are inefficient in relation to 'general welfare and liberty'. So for example he passed Healthcare Reforms so all Americans have medical insurance for the general welfare.
- Embraces the idea presented by Louis Brandeis that federalism allows for states to be laboratories for experimental socioeconomic policy; e.g Education vouchers in Wisconsin, Gay Marriage in NY and Carbon emission caps in California and NY.

I've not heard of progressive federalism? I thought it was just dual, cooperative or new federalism? Is it the same as new federalism?
Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 169
Original post by jimmy93_rick
We've been told there is a pretty good chance the 30marker for Congress will be on Senate/House power, but apart from that im pretty lost for predictions. Whats everyone concentraating on for Congress? (asking the scarily few reople who seem to be revising it...)

I revised congress, the presidency and the constitution :smile:

For Congress, I've mainly looked at (for essay quuestions at least):
- How representative is Congress
- Whether the Senate is more powerful than the House
- How powerful/significant committees are
- Why it's hard to get legislation passed
- What affects congressmen's voting behaviour
- How effective it performs the oversight function

Feeling pretty confident about this exam, thank god XD I thought monday's paper had really nice questions, I was grinning when I turned over the paper (after looking like an idiot trying to open it 'cos I thought it was in booklet form not just one sheet...doesn't bode well :L)
Reply 170
Original post by Jakeeyy
Yeah i got them mixed up. Totally forgot about iron triangles. Either way i could not like to mention clientelism, unless i was talking about constraints of the President, even so i would just stick to going native.

I don't reckon clientelism is one of the main ones anyway, you can only really write like asentence on it. If an essay came up on problems within the bureaucracy I'd just include a paragraph on iron triangles, and maybe mention clientelism as the specific link of that triangle that goes between the bureaucracy & special interests :smile:

Original post by Tay594
I've not heard of progressive federalism? I thought it was just dual, cooperative or new federalism? Is it the same as new federalism?
Thanks.

I haven't heard of progressive efderalism either, and I revised that topic pretty thoroughly...it goes dual, cooperative, new, and then what Bush did, no? Either way that's easily enough for an essay :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 171
C'mon "Is the President too powerful" question and is the "Constitution flexible or rigid" question haha. High hopes!
Reply 172
Original post by JackT94
I'm revising the Constitution and Supreme Court, ive pretty much written every potential essay for both topics. (Federalism, is the constitution rigid or flexible, adapt to changing times etc. and Supreme Court, politicians in robes, increasingly political, activist v retstraint etc)

I was wondering if anyone had any guesses on potential 10 markers for these topics. I've got a feeling Constitution topic the 10 marker might me on the principle of separation of power. (or something along those lines)

Does anyone revising the Supreme Court have any guesses/predictions on what the 10 marker might be e.g. appointment process of justices?

thanks

Would you mind sending me your essays if you have them on word? No worries if not. I am doing those 2 topics and have no idea for the questions :frown:

Reply 173
Original post by Andufus
Does anyone know anything about Bideman as vice-president?

From memory because I cba to get and rifle through my notes:

- He said he wanted to 'shrink' the role back down from what Cheney had made it, to more of an advisory role rather than 'co-president' (DESPITE the fact that, like Cheney, he's way more experienced than the president)
- He mainly deals with advising Obama on foreign policy because that's his area of expertise
- He acts as a useful liasion with Congress because he's a much mroe well-established former senator with more connections

Hope that's helpful :smile:
Reply 174
Original post by Todd
Feeling pretty confident about this exam, thank god XD I thought monday's paper had really nice questions, I was grinning when I turned over the paper (after looking like an idiot trying to open it 'cos I thought it was in booklet form not just one sheet...doesn't bode well :L)

Haha I did the exact same thing with 3A on Monday, I was so confused by one sheet XD
Reply 175
Original post by .gina
Haha I did the exact same thing with 3A on Monday, I was so confused by one sheet XD

Oh my god I'm not the only one, yay XD it threw me!! Felt like a right idiot :')
I'm just praying that the President isn't on bureaucracy because a) it's dull and b) there really isn't as much evaluation there as there is on questions about presidential power.

Aiming for 87% so good luck everyone who is taking the exam tomorrow!
Original post by Lee94
Does anyone have any notes on the constitution and Executive they could share please? struggling really bad

I couls help you out with notes, if you know where Ashton in Manchester is, I'll meet you there :wink:
Reply 178
Read through my textbooks and the articles my teachers gave me, noted the vast majority of the specification. Can't think of what else to do that will be of much use, but I don't feel ready for this exam. Ergh.
Reply 179
If Vice President, Cabinet or EXOP comes up i will be mad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending