The Student Room Group

Ocr gcse latin a401/02 25 may 2012 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by sahajkaur
Hi guys, I've compiled a rough unofficial markscheme from what I can remember of the exam. Feel free to tell me more things to add if I have missed them out/or it is wrong. :smile:

1) He used to have many slaves
2) He was killed by one of his slaves
3) They were accustomed to punish all the slaves who were living in the same house by death
4) A huge crowd of people
5) Do not kill so many innocent slaves!
6) He sought the most serious punishment for such a dreadful crime.
7) ‘It is not always good, senators, to follow traditions handed over by ancestors. Now, however what happens if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? Surely you do not believe this slave prepared his plan alone, without others? Surely the rest knew what this one wanted to do?’

With these words Cassius was trying to persuade the senators to punish all the slaves of [name], both wicked and loyal. Some were afraid that in this way, innocent slaves would pay an unfair penalty. But Cassius had spoken so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators, therefore, with a few resisting, sent out soldiers to kill all the slaves of [name].

Thank you for this! I think I got pretty much the same.

For 5, I recognised it was an imperative but because I knew 'nolo' meant 'I do not want', I just put that they said they did not want to many innocent slaves killed. I should I have gone with what I thought. Oh well :/

Did anyone else think 'sequi' in the first line of the translation was a passive infinitive. ? I wrote: 'It is not always good, senators, for the the traditions handed down by ancestors to be followed.' Or is that wrong because it's a deponent verb?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi guys, I've compiled a rough unofficial markscheme from what I can remember of the exam. Feel free to tell me more things to add if I have missed them out/or it is wrong. :smile:

3) They were accustomed to punish all the slaves who were living in the same house by death
7) ‘It is not always good, senators, to follow traditions handed over by ancestors. Now, however what happens if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? Surely you do not believe this slave prepared his plan alone, without others? Surely the rest knew what this one wanted to do?’

With these words Cassius was trying to persuade the senators to punish all the slaves of [name], both wicked and loyal. Some were afraid that in this way, innocent slaves would pay an unfair penalty. But Cassius had spoken so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators, therefore, with a few resisting, sent out soldiers to kill all the slaves of [name].

mostly the same as mine,slightly different,
ii thought "issi" on an adjective means it is very, and not "the best,or "the worst"" so had slightly different 4 q7
instead of "it is not",i put "is it not"-slightly different, and i ignored tradito,
for "ire" -can u have to give?
overall i think about 50-54/60, any ideas on grade boundaries
Reply 182
Original post by 123xxx

For 5, I recognised it was an imperative but because I knew 'nolo' meant 'I do not want', I just put that they said they did not want to many innocent slaves killed. I should I have gone with what I thought. Oh well :/

Did anyone else think 'sequi' in the first line of the translation was a passive infinitive. ? I wrote: 'It is not always good, senators, for the the traditions handed down by ancestors to be followed.' Or is that wrong because it's a deponent verb?

yeah i think its wrong - but it could still be a minor error as you put it into correct context :smile:
Original post by 123xxx

yes :frown: it is a deponent :frown:
Reply 184
yes :frown: it is a deponent :frown:

Thanks! Yeah, I learnt that but was watching out for passive infinitives because I'd just revised them before and didn't think about it being deponent until afterwards :frown:
Reply 185
Original post by thetejmaster
mostly the same as mine,slightly different,
ii thought "issi" on an adjective means it is very, and not "the best,or "the worst"" so had slightly different 4 q7
instead of "it is not",i put "is it not"-slightly different, and i ignored tradito,
for "ire" -can u have to give?
overall i think about 50-54/60, any ideas on grade boundaries

Same! I put something like, 'he sought a very serious punishment for a very dreadful crime' but I checked in my grammar guide and you can have 'most' as well so both are right :smile:

No, I think 'to give' would be wrong because ire is definitely the infinitive of to go and it wouldn't make sense to have 'to give against his opinion' unfortunately.

Thanks so much for this :smile: One thing : it was "accidet" which translated to "what will happen" not "what happens" .
Original post by Umackjiggles
Thanks so much for this :smile: One thing : it was "accidet" which translated to "what will happen" not "what happens" .

Um.. I said "what would happen", will i be right?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by StudiesAreBoring
Um.. I said "what would happen", will i be right?

I'm not sure because that is conditional but it will probably only be a minor.

Wasn't that the present indicative? Accidet = it happens? :s
(edited 11 years ago)
Wasn't that the present indicative? Accidet = it happens? :s

I am pretty sure accidet is future as in accidam, accides, accidet, etc.
I'm not sure because that is conditional but it will probably only be a minor.

if i said that 'Some senators feared that the innocent would be punished thus it was unjust' minor or major
I am pretty sure accidet is future as in accidam, accides, accidet, etc.

It's fine I realize now :smile: Ofcourse :colondollar: How many marks would I lose for putting what I did?
Original post by eight thirty
if i said that 'Some senators feared that the innocent would be punished thus it was unjust' minor or major

Not sure I'm afraid, I messed that part up :tongue: .
Reply 194
Original post by eight thirty

Major... Should be some/several senators feared that the innocent ones would pay an unfair penalty.

It's fine I realize now :smile: Ofcourse :colondollar: How many marks would I lose for putting what I did?

Maybe a minor, possibly a major for getting the wrong tense. I wouldn't worry about it too much though :smile: . I think I got everything except for the "Several were afraid" clause for which I said "Several were afraid of giving unjust punishment to the innocent" - do you reckon I would get 1/4 for that?
If you get a whole sentence wrong, how many marks do you lose?
Original post by hines
Major... Should be some/several senators feared that the innocent ones would pay an unfair penalty.

whats the difference except for the fact that you missed out a word
Reply 198
Not sure I'm afraid, I messed that part up :tongue: .

I did as well! I think I put 'They were afraid that it was unfair for the innocent to pay the penalty.' Oops..
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
If you get a whole sentence wrong, how many marks do you lose?

Depends how many mistakes. At most 4 :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending