The Student Room Group

Why is it fair for people with money to get a better education than me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theoneoranro
This is like saying 'why should that kid have a bigger house then me' or something like that. Well it's obvious, their parents worked hard for it so their kids live a better life. Accept it.

You're using a sample of 1 private chool compared to 100s.

And no it isn't. You're clueless. Read through he thread because im not repeating myself.
Reply 581
Original post by Miracle Day
No. Private schools make kids 'clever'

You're using a sample of 1 person, I present to you a sample of millions.

Actually you are just saying you are "millions" and just giving your opinion. A school is only as good as it's teachers and even then it is still up to the individual to work hard and make the most of their school... things aren't handed to people on a plate, even with money.
Reply 582
Original post by Mister Dead
there is so little empathy in this thread that my eyes are bleeding. it's almost as though people want children to be punished for their parents choices.

Then you stop irresponsible parents. It really is that simple!
Original post by sachi
Actually you are just saying you are "millions" and just giving your opinion. A school is only as good as it's teachers and even then it is still up to the individual to work hard and make the most of their school... things aren't handed to people on a plate, even with money.

@
Evidently significantly more is handed to the plate of private schoolers.
Original post by Chad_Bronson
And why should teachers support kids who are slacking and drag everyone down to their level?

This isn't about unfairness, it's about kids who don't want to learn selfishly taking attention away from children who do want to learn. Extra help should be in place to help bring them up to scratch with others of course, but booster sessions should not be compulsory since teachers are overworked as it is already.

I get your point, but what I was trying to say was that whereas slackers in my old state school were often left to do whatever, in my private school now they're given after school sessions and so on.
Reply 585
@
Evidently significantly more is handed to the plate of private schoolers.

Not in the 21C, people don't look at where you went to high school or college, it's the grades you have in the end that count and how you apply yourself and make the most of what you have instead of comparing yourself to people who maybe wealthier and blaming them.
Reply 586
Original post by sachi
Not in the 21C, people don't look at where you went to high school or college, it's the grades you have in the end that count and how you apply yourself and make the most of what you have instead of comparing yourself to people who maybe wealthier and blaming them.

Common sense. :yep:
Reply 587
Once you get into Uni it won't matter anyway. My brother got 6 A*'s and 4 A's in a state school and I'll get my results back this summer. I doubt I will have done that well but i'm hoping for all A's/A*'s. It can depend on how much work you put in outside of school as well. Just do your best at A level too :biggrin:
I attend a state school.
I am only 14 and I have:
A in maths (had a B at 13)
A in IGCSE maths
A* in English
A* in Biology(Had this at 13)
A*/A in Physics(had this at 13)
A* in Chemistry (had this at 13)
(I do triple science and I have done two thirds of it)
A* in RE(same ar 13)
A/B in geography(my average so far )(never did at 13)
A in music (performance however I am part of an orchestra and have done grades)
B/C in french :frown:
Merit in I.T
---
Now doing Literature
Futher maths
Citizenship
and I'll find out next month what else I do.
----
Some of my mates ( about 10 had A*'s in maths in year 8 another 15 got A*S in year 9)
About 60 of my peers have the same sort of grades however some are not across the whole border)
the current year 9's will essentially finish high school 4 term's early.
From my year and below
A third of the year will probably end up with at least 13 GCSE's
Maths
IGCSE maths
Futher maths ( not all)
Double/ Triple science(90-95 people)
English Language
English Literature
French/Spanish +(Gujarati for some or any language that your parents speak)
Graphics/Food tech
Geography and / or History
IT (Either GCSE/ Btec worth 4 GCSE's)
Music/P.E/Art/Geography with an able to do two if commitment is shown (roughly 90 people)
RE
Citezenship(after R.E )
---
So it generally depends on the school and child...
(edited 11 years ago)
It's not fair that people with more money get a better education than state schoolers. However, if private schools were to be abolished it wouldn't be fair on parents who have worked hard and want to contribute to their children's educations. And just as badly, it is also goes against the principles of liberty. It is impractical to eliminate educational advantages completely as the rich will always be able to afford private tutors and expose their children to a great deal of culture, opera plays etc, which will benefit them later in life. But really, the aim should be to raise the standard of state education rather than driving private schools into the ground.
(edited 11 years ago)
The more intelligent your parents are, the more money they should have. The more intelligent your parents are, the more intelligent you are. The more intelligent you are, the better education you need, to maximise your potential. You didn't go to a private school because you're poor and stupid.
No you're not. And crap like that just makes people skip your post. You're in a position to comment about your experience. That doesn't make you right and that doesn't make her wrong. The vast majority of people making decisions about how our state schools are run come from public school, and historically always have, doesn't that suggest by your working that they're the wrong choice to tackle the issue.

Of course I am, how can someone comment about the differences between the state and private sector without actually attending both?

I have direct first hand experience of both, clearly I am in a better position to judge. If that is too much for you to understand, then you clearly are a moron.

Private schools are better because they cherry-pick the best students, and hence, more intelligent students get better results. Most of these students would do just as well anywhere, it's not because of private schooling they are doing well, it's because they are naturally intelligent. Of course, a private school has benefits of school networks, extracurricular activities and such.

There's also the obvious argument about genetics, on average, more successful (richer) parents are more intelligent. Hence, their offspring are bound to be more intelligent (ceteris paribus) through the passing of genes in any case. On top of this, private schooled students have the backing of their parents with regards to education, even if you put them in a state environment, their parents would generally still take an interest in their education and push them.

Original post by Odin.
Just been reading your string of responses and can sympathise with how frustrating it is arguing with idiots who don't understand your points and somehow raise themselves onto a pedestal of superiority.

He clearly just wants an ego boost boasting about how he achieved against all the odds. I implore you to stop responding and dignifying his arguments.

If you genuinely think 'I will look uncool if I do well' is a valid argument to explain deficiencies then good luck in life, you will need it.

I am not on an ego boost, people, whether at state or private school can do well if they work hard, there is enough resource for that. I don't have an ounce of sympathy for the argument that it was the school's fault for poor performance. In Britain, our schools are actually very good but of course, always room for improvement.

As if I would get an ego boost over getting a few As anyway, as I have said GCSEs and A-levels are ridiculously easy, it's bit of a non-achievement, thousands of kids doing it every year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by madders94
I hate this assumption by private school students that somehow, if your parents can't afford to put you into a private school, they don't love you or care about you enough to work for it :s-smilie: open your eyes and realize it isn't that simple.

However many parents work really hard in order to pay for their children's fees.
Original post by House MD
I was the one who posted it.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100114147/should-private-schools-be-abolished/

By the way, Miracle Day, it's much over £5 billion. "So that’s another £5.824 billion". Don't forget the £0.824 billion as well as the £3.38 billion on top. This is also quite old, so it's quite likely that the figure is higher now.

This is hardly the only reason stopping the government though.

But where will we find the money?
there is so little empathy in this thread that my eyes are bleeding. it's almost as though people want children to be punished for their parents choices.

Empathy for who?

People who receive a free state education should not be empathised with.
Original post by im so academic
Empathy for who?

People who receive a free state education should not be empathised with.

:lolwut:

92% of children in this country do...I don't know what you're implying.
Original post by Blutooth
It's not fair that people with more money get a better education than state schoolers. However, if private schools were to be abolished it wouldn't be fair on parents who have worked hard and want to contribute to their children's educations. And just as badly, it is also goes against the principles of liberty. It is impractical to eliminate educational advantages completely as the rich will always be able to afford private tutors and expose their children to a great deal of culture, opera plays etc, which will benefit them later in life. But really, the aim should be to raise the standard of state education rather than driving private schools into the ground.

I really dislike how people on this thread keep talking about 'working hard' as if it is something working class parents don't know of. You seem to equate working hard with having enough money to pay for private school, but that is not true.
The title is more of a crowd drawer than my actual opinion, I'm still undecided on the 'private school issue' but I'm prepared to swing either way so convince me otherwise TSR.

I was just speaking to a girl who told me she wants to do Law in KCL, and she told me her brother got 12 A*s and she got 8 A*s. Me and my brothers went to state schools and I never got a single A*, one had mostly Cs and one had mostly Ds. So I've done much better than my brothers.

At first I thought wow for both to get such good grades they must have really good parents. But then I decided to ask "Do you go to a private school or state school?" She answered "Private school."

For both to have done so well having gone to a private school, I'm assuming this a common thing? Where as my school is a band 1 state school (Top band) and the highest achieved grade was 11 A* and 1 A, the second was 7A* and it went down from there out of 200 people. My GCSEs were considered well above average for my school. I can't however apply to the top Universities because my GCSEs aren't as good compared to, say, people on TSR and I am a hard worker.

So why is it that people who go to private schools get better grades? Why is their standard of education so high and why can't teachers in state schools copy it?

I'm just wondering, so discuss.

Oh, and I don't think there are welsh private schools are there?

Before anyone tries telling me their own opinions or situations e.g "I went to a private school and failed all of my GCSEs" here are some facts taken from the BBC and elsewhere.

8% of Children go to private schools, 92% go to state schools.
50% of Oxbridge undergrads are from private schools.
More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.
"Pupils at private schools are more than three times as likely to get AAB in the key A level subjects that help candidates gain access to top universities as those in state schools, according to the first analysis of its kind released by the government." ~ Nick Clegg

Lol at England.

Come to NI (albeit 2 years or so in the past), you went to a grammar school if you were smart and you worked hard for your 11 plus. Background/wealth etc was a factor but most of my friends who I've seen through from primary school to grammar school are similar to me (middle class but not wealthy to any degree)

Now, of course, they've gone and fecked that up all to be more like England.
Original post by MrHappy_J
:lolwut:

92% of children in this country do...I don't know what you're implying.

A user said that "there is a lack of empathy on this thread". I'm sitting here thinking, who? State school children?

Because if that's the case I don't think they should be empathised with as they already get a free education.
Original post by zedbrar
I really dislike how people on this thread keep talking about 'working hard' as if it is something working class parents don't know of. You seem to equate working hard with having enough money to pay for private school, but that is not true.

Chances are the parents who are working to fund their children's fees were the ones who worked hard previously in school. Working class parents who "work hard" are probably making up for the fact that they didn't work hard enough in school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending