The Student Room Group

The reasons for opposing gay marriage

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
What makes an atheist say one thing is right and another is wrong? From whom does he get his authority on this matter? Seems to me like atheists like to cherry-pick.
Reply 381
In fairness, whether you oppose it or not, it will eventually be legalized.
How we look back and think 'Wow 50 years a go interracial couples couldn't marry?!', 'In 50 years time it will be the same. Omg they were crazy back then, same sex couples couldn't marry?'

So just drop the debate, it will never win in the long run!
Reply 382
Original post by Jason2
Never ceases to amaze me when people say homosexuality occurs in animals and therefore must be natural.

Infanticide occurs in animals yet no decent human being would say this is right.

Two different arguments that are not linked.
Reply 383
Original post by Coke1
In fairness, whether you oppose it or not, it will eventually be legalized.
How we look back and think 'Wow 50 years a go interracial couples couldn't marry?!', 'In 50 years time it will be the same. Omg they were crazy back then, same sex couples couldn't marry?'

So just drop the debate, it will never win in the long run!

Gays were never slaves.

The US banned inter-racial marriage in the context of slavery, and then a policy of segregation to perpetuate the privilege of the southern white-aristocracy.

Inter-racial marriage is America's problem, their guilt, it's not a universal, it's nothing to do with us and has no bearing on gay marriage in this country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by Devel
Two different arguments that are not linked.

How come? If homosexuality is right then infanticide is also right. If it isn't, then explain why it's wrong... I'm waiting.
Reply 385
Original post by minimarshmallow
Being against gay marriage means that you want to deny gay people the right to marry for no justifiable reason, and denying gay people rights for no justifiable reason falls under the umbrella of homophobia. It would be not homophobic if they were fine with 'what goes on in private' if they were also against straight people marrying and keeping that to a private thing as well.

It's not the same as hating gay people or hurling abuse at them etc. but it's still homophobia.

No, there reasons are justified (even though the reasons are wrong). They are against it because they believe in sticking with tradition, and the tradition is for marriage to be between a man and a woman.

Note that these are not my opinions.
Reply 386
Original post by snozzle
Gays were never slaves.

Excuse me? When did I mention slaves? You must have a poor knowledge of history. Slavery wasn't 50 years a go either!
Original post by james22
No, there reasons are justified (even though the reasons are wrong). They are against it because they believe in sticking with tradition, and the tradition is for marriage to be between a man and a woman.

Note that these are not my opinions.

The reason is 'keeping with tradition', but the reason is faulty unless they are also for men owning their wives and marital rape and black people not being able to marry white people.
Original post by Jason2
How come? If homosexuality is right then infanticide is also right. If it isn't, then explain why it's wrong... I'm waiting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy
Reply 389
Original post by Jason2

Never ceases to amaze me when people say homosexuality occurs in animals and therefore must be natural.

So the conclusion is that homosexuality is natural. Nothing else should be drawn from that.

Infanticide occurs in animals yet no decent human being would say this is right.

The link should not be made that because homosexuality occurs in nature it is right because as you pointed out, there is a lot of things that occur in nature that are not right.

The point tends to come from many anti-gay rights people claiming that homosexuality isnt natural. The response is then that it is natural because it occurs in nature. Natural is not being made to mean it is right, rather just refuting the claim that it is not a natural occurrence.
Original post by Devel
So the conclusion is that homosexuality is natural. Nothing else should be drawn from that.

The link should not be made that because homosexuality occurs in nature it is right because as you pointed out, there is a lot of things that occur in nature that are not right.

The point tends to come from many anti-gay rights people claiming that homosexuality isnt natural. The response is then that it is natural because it occurs in nature. Natural is not being made to mean it is right, rather just refuting the claim that it is not a natural occurrence.

I told him this, he accused me of cherry-picking.
Reply 391
But you atheists claim religious folks cherry-pick, but the only cherry-picking I'm seeing here is coming from atheists. How can you say one thing is right and another is wrong if morals are not objective. It makes no sense whatsoever. Who told you it was right, or wrong for that matter? I'm curious to know.
Reply 392
Original post by Jason2
But you atheists claim religious folks cherry-pick, but the only cherry-picking I'm seeing here is coming from atheists. How can you say one thing is right and another is wrong if morals are not objective. It makes no sense whatsoever. Who told you it was right, or wrong for that matter? I'm curious to know.

I assume most people who are not against gay marriage accepted the conclusion that it wouldnt have negative implications for society.
Reply 393
Original post by Jason2

Be careful with that argument you'll only invoke the 'naturalistic fallacy' again and then we'll end up with another 20+ pages going over all the same old ground already featured in the "gays and children" debate :frown:

EDIT: My bad, it has already been invoked.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by minimarshmallow
The reason is 'keeping with tradition', but the reason is faulty unless they are also for men owning their wives and marital rape and black people not being able to marry white people.

As I said, there reasons are wrong, but the reasons are not homophobic.
Original post by james22
As I said, there reasons are wrong, but the reasons are not homophobic.

Just because they don't think they're being homophobic doesn't mean that they're not.
Reply 396
Original post by Jason2
What makes an atheist say one thing is right and another is wrong? From whom does he get his authority on this matter? Seems to me like atheists like to cherry-pick.

That's the benefit of being atheist. We don't get TOLD what to see as right or wrong. We can OBJECTIVELY look at the world and see morality and immorality around us. Because there is no entity like the church to appease, we see everything as is without prejudice.
Original post by Jason2

You can be a moral universalist without believing that universal morality derives from God/gods/leprechauns/whatever (similarly, you can still claim something to be right or wrong and be a moral relativist). If you're interested go read up on meta-ethics.

Original post by ufo2012
Be careful with that argument you'll only invoke the 'naturalistic fallacy' again and then we'll end up with another 20+ pages going over all the same old ground already featured in the "gays and children" debate :frown:

OK, I actually agree that "being gay is natural so it's fine" or "being gay is unnatural so it's bad" are both bad arguments. Ignoring them (and as a corollary all other appeals to nature), come up with a convincing argument why gay people should not be married.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 398
Original post by KasanDude
That's the benefit of being atheist. We don't get TOLD what to see as right or wrong. We can OBJECTIVELY look at the world and see morality and immorality around us. Because there is no entity like the church to appease, we see everything as is without prejudice.

Very well, but why do you condemn someone who doesn't follow the laws of society? If as an atheist you believe morals are subjective, then so long as the man committing a crime believes what he is doing is right then he cannot be condemned, right?
Reply 399
Original post by Gremlins

OK, I actually agree that "being gay is natural so it's fine" or "being gay is unnatural so it's bad" are both bad arguments. Ignoring them (and as a corollary all other appeals to nature), come up with a convincing argument why gay people should not be married.

I am not really sure of your position on gay marriage, whether you agree or you do not...

All I am saying is we already had numerous pages on the 'naturalistic fallacy' argument in the other thread about gays with children, so don't see why the same needs to be repeated all over again, that was all.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending