The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is it with chavs in this country?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iSoftie
Yo man! I ain't no snob blud!

I'm a real gee trust! :I
I don't call people chavs and I don't like it when people call other peeps chavs because they think they are the dog's *******s when in reality they aren't anything much: just a bunch of pretentious kids...

look at my comment lay out, i never called you a snob
Reply 21
It's strange because what you refer to as chavs, are only really around the council house areas that there aren't much of. But what most of us at my school call chavs are what others would call Indie or Hipster. A lot of our chavs have quite rich parents and are getting like A*s but I guess in comparison to the rest of the pretty tame area, I'd see them as chavs. I'm not sure but in my part of town, chav is thrown around quite a lot. The generic chavs are more common in the lower achieving schools and such but our 'chavs' listen to like Indie Bands. ;s I think they just used to wear 'Chav' clothes because they saw it was popular up North or whatever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by iSoftie
See working class isn't what a lot of people think it is...
Working class is when you really work 9-5 in some sort of labour job: this doesn't say **** about income- what do you think the guys who own construction companiesor guys who are bosses? They are technically working class but they're rich. Richer than mr "I'm a middle classed student."
What is your point? I didn't mention income once in my post

Also working class has lots of different definitions and that one can be correct,
"Working class (or lower class, labouring class, sometimes proletariat) is a term used in the social sciences and in ordinary conversation to describe those employed in lower tier jobs (as measured by skill, education and lower incomes)" - Wikipedia
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
Wait, what?

i think i see what he means, ive been on many a train at rush hour when the men in suits seem to have a sense of self importance which entitles them to be rude to staff and ive even seen one tell a woman to 'shut that f***ing baby up' when he was trying to make a phone call and it was crying, but then maybe this just shows that its not isolated to chavs its just the human race as a whole :tongue:
Reply 24
There are loads of 'chavs' in my area, but I call them that because of their appearence and their clothes rather than their actual behaviour. I am pretty sure that I hav never actually witnessed a crime or any anti- social behaviour at the hands of a chav. It's all to do with image in my opinion, everybody judges and labels a chav by seeing if they are smoking or wearing a tracksuit, rather than waiting to see if said tracksuit clad smoker is actually doing anything wrong behavioral wise- not in regards to their crimes against fashion and the under 18 smoking ban :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by Astronomical
I was walking along with my dog the other day, down the main road in the town I live in, and this chav in his baggy grey sweatpants and what I could only describe as a bright pink swimming cap came up to me, called me a f**king c**t and then told me to f**k off, and just carried on going his own way.

At first I was like :lolwut: but then I was like :mmm:. I really do pity such people.

I only had to walk another 20 metres up the road to overhear another man, as in a fully grown, middle aged man, shouting "gan get ya f**kin' glasses man" to this woman. By now I was just like :curious:.

(Totally irrelevant, but I turned left at this point and walked past this field in which these horses just so happened to be mating. I couldn't believe how so much fun could come from walking the dog!)

Haha thats so funny to hear about, though I don't know how I would respond exactly in that situation...
Reply 26
Original post by bestofyou
look at my comment lay out, i never called you a snob

Fairs sorry D:
Did you grow up in London? And yes I agree with you a lot of these TSR users are a bunch of toffs who grow up in wonderful places like Park Lane and go to brilliant schools like Westminster.

Original post by Redolent
What is your point? I didn't mention income once in my post

Also working class has lots of different definitions and that one can be correct,
"Working class (or lower class, labouring class, sometimes proletariat) is a term used in the social sciences and in ordinary conversation to describe those employed in lower tier jobs (as measured by skill, education and lower incomes)" - Wikipedia

:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by iSoftie

Excellent counter argument, I stand totally corrected
Reply 28
CHAV = Council housed and violent.

It’s pretty much all in the name. Unprivileged background (economically & socially), lack of aspirations as they become disillusioned with school as, more often that not, they would rather just get out into “the real world” and begin earning money, or in some cases just receiving their own money. They choose to associate with lots of people that they can identify with; others from similar backgrounds. Society classes them as outcasts and in turn they live up to that identity.

I’m not saying that people who act like idiots should hold no blame, not at all. & yes, there are people who come from unprivileged backgrounds and do not hold all the stereotypical traits of a “Chav”, but personally, I think environment is the main cause. Nurture rises over nature in this respect I think.

I’ve got lots of friends who used to be classed as chavs. Not horrible, anti-social little pricks but mostly lads who used to play up to the dress-sense and dialect aspects of a “chav”, and yeah, we (yeah, me as well!) used to drink in parks and stuff but not to cause any disturbance to anyone: out of boredom and desire for social interaction nothing more sinister. Granted, I don’t think any of them do dress or speak like a stereotypical chav anymore. They’re all around the same age as me (20) and have matured considerably, mostly in work or looking for work and are all respectful, kind people who I’m glad to call my friends and can have stimulating, interesting and intellectual conversations with, despite their disillusionment from education.

It’s still sad though, because I know that several of them would absolutely love the opportunity to go to further their education and go to university, but they have such little confidence in themselves academically that they just see it as too far out of their reach, when in fact, it would be quite plausible for them to achieve it.
Reply 29
Pretty sad to see the extent of the vilification of the lower class in this country...
Really, a chav doesn't necessarily mean someone comes from a poor background. There are a huge amount of people out there who have been materially deprived and yet work extremely hard and eventually have a better life. Others use their "poverty" as an excuse to scratch someone else's car, throw litter at someone and such, when those people may well have been brought up by parents with low incomes. There are also many people who have most of their material needs met but still become "chavs" just because it is apparently recreational.
It's simple ignorance and self-centredness.
Original post by iSoftie
Fairs sorry D:
Did you grow up in London? And yes I agree with you a lot of these TSR users are a bunch of toffs who grow up in wonderful places like Park Lane and go to brilliant schools like Westminster.

Ireland, that is my home
Reply 32
Original post by Tedaus
Pretty sad to see the extent of the vilification of the lower class in this country...

They can choose to be higher class if they wanted to. As an immigrant who saw his parents emmigrate to a foreign country with nothing and make something of themselves, and then did the same thing myself, I feel nothing but disgust for people in a country with such a high standard of living as england who make nothing of themsleves, and choose to sponge of social benefits, while harassing people with ambition.
Reply 33
Original post by Tedaus
There is a very significant difference between being lower class and being a chav
Reply 34
Original post by crazyoctopus
Really, a chav doesn't necessarily mean someone comes from a poor background. There are a huge amount of people out there who have been materially deprived and yet work extremely hard and eventually have a better life. Others use their "poverty" as an excuse to scratch someone else's car, throw litter at someone and such, when those people may well have been brought up by parents with low incomes. There are also many people who have most of their material needs met but still become "chavs" just because it is apparently recreational.
It's simple ignorance and self-centredness.

Do you not think though that behaviour such as you have described has to be learned from somewhere, though? Therefore, it is, to an extent, beyond their control. Don't take that too literally - I'm not saying that anyone is unable to think "No, I'm not going to scratch that car because it is going to ruin someone's day", I'm just saying that throughout their life they have likely been surrounded with people who, if they don't say it in so many words, imply that that sort of behaviour is acceptable. If that's all you've ever known then it's quite possible that many of us would have grown up the same way. I have to say I don't know many "chav"s whose parents promote good lifestyles, other than kids who get caught up in the hype for a year or two and then grow out of it.
Reply 35
Original post by zaliack
Middle aged men in suits aren't much better than chavs on a train.

What do you mean?
I blame the parents. The first year of life is critical for a baby's development, and the following 9 years are also very important. And where does the child spend most of it's time? At home!

A child needs to have a secure attachment and receive lots of unconditional love (basically loved for who it is, not just what it does), and it needs to be paid attention to a lot. Most parents now generally don't know how to look after a child, they think it's understands the same as an adult and only pays it attention when it's done something bad or non-adult like, so the child learns that it gets attention for doing bad things. A child needs to have boundaries set for it and parents just don't do that.

I'm not saying that all chav's have had bad parents, some get in with the wrong crowd because they're bored and being rebellious (for example if parents are TOO strict). I think the Government needs to do parenting classes as part of general studies, where children learn about attachment, unconditional love, boundaries and how to properly care for a child.
Reply 37
Excellent counter argument, I stand totally corrected

You stand wrong: like I said.
There are people out there in the working class who earn more money than the others. -_-
So I don't know what you're talking about.

Original post by iSoftie
CHAV = Counciled house agressive vermin.

Original post by vcarey
CHAV = Council housed and violent.

Lol I only read the first/second page and the page I post as well XD

vcarey I completely agree with your message you see I have a similar story however I'm just younger than you. My friends (some of these TSR kids will call them) "chavvy" are really doing stuff I don't like, they become dillusioned into society and their background doesn't help them. One of my friend is wheelin' & dealin' really and he will get caught one day but I can't talk much sense into him.
I've got a best friend who is really annoyed with life even at his young age at 16: he does well at GCSE but only on the subjects he likes (like German because the teacher is hawt) and he is more brighter than me! I really tried my best trying to get him into sixth form but he just "wouldn't go" he thinks a lot of them are gimps and I can partly agree on that one lol. I really want him to get him doing some sort of studies so he can get a nice job/foundation but like he is the perfect stoicist :s-smilie:
Also the weed & drinking doesn't help not a single bit! I don't want to sound like a preacher to them though :/

But yeah maybe they'll mature out of it and settle down on something.
Reply 38
Original post by mmac900
They can choose to be higher class if they wanted to. As an immigrant who saw his parents emmigrate to a foreign country with nothing and make something of themselves, and then did the same thing myself, I feel nothing but disgust for people in a country with such a high standard of living as england who make nothing of themsleves, and choose to sponge of social benefits, while harassing people with ambition.

Class is something you're born with. How exactly do you choose where you're born? Also, nice generalising of everybody in lower class.

There is a very significant difference between being lower class and being a chav

The two are completely tied. I'd recommend reading "Chavs" by Owen Jones.
Reply 39
Original post by Tedaus
Class is something you're born with. How exactly do you choose where you're born? Also, nice generalising of everybody in lower class.

The two are completely tied. I'd recommend reading "Chavs" by Owen Jones.

You may be born lower class, but it is only yourself that can transition into higher class if you choose to.

I am not generalising everyone in the lower class, just the chavs, which to me are the lower class people who choose to be anti-social and harrass other people.

Ulimtately what i am trying to say is, I don't mind how you dress, how much you make, and if you work or not, just don't be an ******* and abusive to everyone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending