The Student Room Group

Lack of opportunity - start your own business?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Afradeetee
It's a bit up and down, there are jobs being created but it's not always that easy.
How seriously would you consider starting your own business after finishing Uni?

I'm considering it, but I would definitely go niche. Niche services are my plan- for the creative people. The idea depends on your personality but it's a tough market out there- way too many businesses, way too many products related to retail, food etc. Taking it abroad is a suggestion, but that depends on your lifestyle/opportunities.
Original post by damnation
I'm considering it, but I would definitely go niche. Niche services are my plan- for the creative people. The idea depends on your personality but it's a tough market out there- way too many businesses, way too many products related to retail, food etc. Taking it abroad is a suggestion, but that depends on your lifestyle/opportunities.
You should read The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco - it's an incredible book by a successful entrepreneur. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Millionaire-Fastlane-Wealth-Lifetime/dp/0984358102/
Reply 42
Original post by White-Knight
You should read The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco - it's an incredible book by a successful entrepreneur. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Millionaire-Fastlane-Wealth-Lifetime/dp/0984358102/

Sounds like just the thing I need, thank you
As someone aspiring to study International Relations, the idea of working for a geopolitical forecasting company (like Stratfor Global Intelligence) has intrigued me. Researching politics and current affairs abroad (in Thailand, for example) and reporting on it to allow big companies to plan investment and expansion is an interesting service. I guess it'd be a possibility, starting my own geopolitical forecasting service after graduation, though I'd almost certainly need to relocate to somewhere significant and give myself a crash-course in economics.

Would I consider it as a future career path? Probably not. But there are opportunities out there that can be capitalised on, if one is willing to think outside the box :3
Reply 44
Original post by damnation

Absolutely, and what is important is creating a business around a problem that actually exists, don't try to solve problems that don't yet exist, if the problem doesn't exist people won't buy into it, or you're going to need serious levels of money to convince them they do need it.
Rules about starting a business:

1) It will use up more money than you do on a night out. (And if you restrict this it will fail).
2) Take the number of customer you hope to get in the first week and multiply it by 1%. This will be how many you will get in the first month.
3) It's all well and good picking a niche but if you don't know where the customers are, you'll fail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending