The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Accomodation Form - Object to living with a smoker?

On the accomodation form it says "Do you object to living with a smoker?". I am not a smoker, but I said no because from what I heard a lot of the accomodation is non smoking anyway, and by saying no I thought I was being easy so it would easier to sort out my accomodaton (preferably in the place I want).

However I'm a bit worried about it now. I don't want to be stuck in halls with a whole load of smokers, and when I told my friends I had said No they were all shocked and said I was crazy! I was considering phoning the housing office and asking them to change my form, should I do this? I don't wanna p*ss them off at all to stop me from getting the accomodation I want. Also it might bring my form to the bottom of the pile whereas with the speed I sent it off it should be somewhere near the top right now.
Reply 1
Unless you're in a shared room, living with a bunch of smokers shouldn't be a problem. the kitchen is a non-smoking area, so they'll either smoke in their rooms or outside. if everyone but you is a smoker, tell them you'd rather they didn't smoke in the kitchen (if they were to say they wanted to). it really shouldn't be a problem.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Which accommodation have you applied for? In Lewes Court, there are smoking and non-smoking flats. If you have applied to LC, it will probably just give you a better chance of getting to live there. Most people are courteous to non-smokers anyway and don't smoke in the communal areas, or do it out of the window.
Reply 3
I'd phone and ask them to change it if I were you. That's what they're there for, I'm sure it won't jeopardise your choice of accommodation. They will probably group all smokers together so you could be in a situation where its 5 smokers and you. Even if they smoke in their rooms, you're going to know about it, smoke gets everywhere.
I'm completely intolerant of smoke myself, it makes me choke and feel sick, so there is no way I could be anywhere near anyone that smokes! I think its all or nothing where smoking is concerned, with 5 in one house you're likely to be living in a continuous chimney. If all of your flatmates are smokers and its just you who isn't, I'd very much doubt they'd agree to not smoking in certain rooms or would go by the rules and not smoke in the communal areas.
You get a lot of arrogant smokers who have no consideration for non smokers, because, lets face it, they can't have thought a lot about it in the first place to be still doing that to their bodies. If you're living with smokers, you're probably very likely to be passive smoking. Thats just my take on it though!
Reply 4
Personally I wouldnt worry about it. I dont smoke either and I put down that I wouldnt object to living with a smoker as I dont really think it'll be much of a problem. As others have said, I expect most people will be courteous anyway
I put smoking accomodation as 1st priority, mature student accom as 2nd, so I might end up in a flat with lots of old people with black lungs!

I put down smoking only because i'd like to be able to smoke in my bedroom like I do at home. I certainly wouldn't smoke in the kitchen as even I find that gross, and I wouldn't smoke anywhere that would annoy my fellow housemates. So don't worry about it too much, i'm sure if you ask nicely they will take their cancer stick elsewhere.
Reply 6
I wouldn't want to risk ending up living with smokers just for the smell. It gets everywhere and I don't want my clothes stinking 24/7. I've already contacted the admissions office about my accommodation form (being very blonde I forgot to put down my course code - I meant to double check it and completely forgot) and they were really helpful and friendly. I'd just give them an email.
Strangely enough, I have a friend living in a non-smoking flat in Lewes Court who lives with 5 other smokers...my friend in a smoking flat doesn't live with any smokers..
Reply 8
hallucination
Strangely enough, I have a friend living in a non-smoking flat in Lewes Court who lives with 5 other smokers...my friend in a smoking flat doesn't live with any smokers..

That's odd! Is it the Uni that grouped them like that, even though they requested smoking/non smoking or did they just not specify the smoking part on their forms? Do they smoke inside in the non smoking residences? Surely that would defeat the whole object of choosing a non smoking residence and would not be allowed under their contract?
squirly
I wouldn't want to risk ending up living with smokers just for the smell. It gets everywhere and I don't want my clothes stinking 24/7. I've already contacted the admissions office about my accommodation form (being very blonde I forgot to put down my course code - I meant to double check it and completely forgot) and they were really helpful and friendly. I'd just give them an email.

Where were we meant to put down the course code? I wrote what course i was doing but not the course code..
Reply 10
zoea85
That's odd! Is it the Uni that grouped them like that, even though they requested smoking/non smoking or did they just not specify the smoking part on their forms? Do they smoke inside in the non smoking residences? Surely that would defeat the whole object of choosing a non smoking residence and would not be allowed under their contract?

I live in a non-smoking flat, one of my flatmates smokes but he always goes outside - our smoke alarms are really sensitive so he wouldn't get away with it inside anyway but he's really considerate. He said it doesn't bother him so he didn't worry about putting down smoking on his accommodation form. Think some people might have parents helping them with forms so not want to specify either...

Even if you do smoke the non-smoking flats are so much nicer, smoking ones really smell stale and yucky after years of smoking indoors.
Reply 11
I live on a so called 'smoking' floor in one of the Park Houses, but less than 50% of the people actually smoke. although people do sometimes break the rules (!!) and smoke in the kitchen, everyone's really considerate and won't smoke when people are cooking/eating, or when there are non-smokers around (or else they'll ask first, some of the non smokers don't mind.)

Really it shouldn't be too much of a problem, smoking flats aren't exclusively made up of smokers, that would bug me!
I said I didn't want a smoking flat and I got a smoking flat. Actually everyone in my flat put that they didn't want a smoking flat, it doesn't make a lot of difference. The only problem is they might decide that, as you wouldn't mind living with a smoker, perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing a room with one. If you're worried about it then ring them. Also remember if you've got a conditional offer, they're not even gonna look at your form until your exam results are in, so it doesn't matter.

Latest

Trending

Trending