The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Official University of Sussex Applicant Thread for 2024

Hi there,

Welcome to the official University of Sussex Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to University of Sussex.

Below are some icebreaker questions to help you get started:

“What course are you applying for?”
“Will you be attending any Open Days?”
“How are you feeling about starting University?”

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Good luck and happy posting!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi there,

Welcome to the official University of Sussex Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to University of Sussex.

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Hi,
Is anyone going to study Psychology possibly with Criminology?
Rowan.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Can I just say hello as the dad of Charlotte, hoping to enter Sep 24.
I’ll keep this thread alive on her behalf until she signs in.
I promise not to say anything too embarrassing!
Alan

Hi there,

hello all, if you've gotten an offer from sussex, say hi here 🙂 - Official University of Sussex Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry - The Student Room and view other official offer holder threads here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7416671
Reply 4
Original post by rowangriff
Hi,
Is anyone going to study Psychology possibly with Criminology?
Rowan.

Hey! I’ve applied for psych! Still waiting on a response though xx
Ex-sussex here, do not go to sussex if u want a career, big companies give u zero chance, only Russel group unis are considered
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by georgiacatt
Hey! I’ve applied for psych! Still waiting on a response though xx

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by hopefulindivid
Ex-sussex here, do not go to sussex if u want a career, big companies give u zero chance, only Russel group unis are considered

What did you study/ what job are you in now pal?

What course did you study at sussex???
That’s absolutely crazy
I was considering it as a my firm choice
Original post by Anonymous #1
What course did you study at sussex???
That’s absolutely crazy
I was considering it as a my firm choice

Business and Management with Finance Pathway , not exactly a mickey mouse degree.

Out of my cohort of about 150+ , I only know of 2 people that secured a graduate job. Not exactly a prestigious job, more like Brighton based small recruitment company and octopus energy, averaging take home without taxes of £22,000 - 24,000 p/a.

I know people who applied for 100, 150, 200 companies over a span of a year, and not getting an single offer and had to resort to office jobs that wouldn't even require a degree. i.e. AmEx customer hotline, £22,000 p/a.
Original post by Eluke173
What did you study/ what job are you in now pal?

just replied above
Overall, from my experience the past years since exiting a Sussex, Job hunting was literally a pointless endeavor for 24 months, all big corporate companies exist primarily in London and have a undisclosed biases of recruiting from the top 10 Russel group units, plus there are way to many candidates from these 10 unis for even them to choose from. A good rule of thumb is to look at the companies linkedin and scan their employees profile, u will see a very obvious pattern of which school they hire from, and believe it, i never see Sussex.

If u go to Sussex as Undergrad, get ready to work ur ass off to get into a top 10 Russel group uni for Masters, then only then u will have a chance to compete with people already seen as a higher caliber as you. Good luck, that's the only way.
Reply 12
Overall, from my experience the past years since exiting a Sussex, Job hunting was literally a pointless endeavor for 24 months, all big corporate companies exist primarily in London and have a undisclosed biases of recruiting from the top 10 Russel group units, plus there are way to many candidates from these 10 unis for even them to choose from. A good rule of thumb is to look at the companies linkedin and scan their employees profile, u will see a very obvious pattern of which school they hire from, and believe it, i never see Sussex.

If u go to Sussex as Undergrad, get ready to work ur ass off to get into a top 10 Russel group uni for Masters, then only then u will have a chance to compete with people already seen as a higher caliber as you. Good luck, that's the only way.

To be honest I think I will have to do a masters anyway for what i want so I did think of doing my undergrad there & to get away from home a bit and try maybe Bristol or Cardiff for a masters but then the next issue is funding 🙄 I’m not exactly sure what I want to do yet though tbh it’s difficult
Reply 13

Fair enough thanks for your advice 👍
Business and Management with Finance Pathway , not exactly a mickey mouse degree.

Out of my cohort of about 150+ , I only know of 2 people that secured a graduate job. Not exactly a prestigious job, more like Brighton based small recruitment company and octopus energy, averaging take home without taxes of £22,000 - 24,000 p/a.

I know people who applied for 100, 150, 200 companies over a span of a year, and not getting an single offer and had to resort to office jobs that wouldn't even require a degree. i.e. AmEx customer hotline, £22,000 p/a.

wow shook to be honest, im planning studying business managment with economics? Do youknow anyone in that course that managed to find a decent jov
Original post by geeismee
To be honest I think I will have to do a masters anyway for what i want so I did think of doing my undergrad there & to get away from home a bit and try maybe Bristol or Cardiff for a masters but then the next issue is funding 🙄 I’m not exactly sure what I want to do yet though tbh it’s difficult

Bristol is barely scraping the bottom, cardiff dont even think about it.. Get a 1st overall, create societies, aim for UCL, LSE, KINGS around the tier 2 range of Russel group unis as a min.

Remember, a target uni for undergrad is not the same as the target uni for masters for companies. usually the overall consideration drops, thus u need to be in a better school. I went to UCL for masters and still get rejected 98% of the time for stage 2.
Reply 16
Hi there,

Hi guys! Im planning on studying law at university. Is anyone planning on taking the same course or attending the offer holder day saturday?
Hi there,

Hi! I've applied for MA Governance, Development & Public Policy. Waiting for a response though.. any idea when we might hear anything?
Bristol is barely scraping the bottom, cardiff dont even think about it.. Get a 1st overall, create societies, aim for UCL, LSE, KINGS around the tier 2 range of Russel group unis as a min.

Remember, a target uni for undergrad is not the same as the target uni for masters for companies. usually the overall consideration drops, thus u need to be in a better school. I went to UCL for masters and still get rejected 98% of the time for stage 2.

Stop scaring people off going to the uni they want to go to, Sussex is a great uni, so is Bristol and Cardiff and getting a masters from any of them is a great achievement, I highly doubt you know all 150 of the people who applied for graduate jobs didn't get one. Just scaring people off for no reason.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous #1
wow shook to be honest, im planning studying business managment with economics? Do youknow anyone in that course that managed to find a decent jov

when did you apply? and is there a way to track applicatin? for econ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending