The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

uni of sussex

hey! i’m going to sussex in september n i’m so scared about moving and being able to afford life there. i live in yorkshire rn n from visiting sussex a few times there is a large difference in the price of stuff and accommodation (with it being 8.1k a year in sussex in comparison to 4/5k accom at home). i know there is cheaper accom options off campus n townhouses but i cannot bring myself to share with 11 people and i need to stay on campus as i want to get to know brighton without stressing about travelling to uni everyday if ygm. i understand as brighton is a lovely place n has access to london but it’s so extortionate!

anyway i just wanted to ask is it easy to find jobs in the brighton area and how much money should i save in preparation for moving (i have around 1.6k right now but i know many people go to uni without saving money but i have to or ill stress way too much😞)

but anyway, i’m so excited :3 concerts n everything as nobody decent comes near me n it’s always london. 😡 OH AND ALSO where should i visit when i move bc ive only ever been brighton n eastbourne area n places in between those two, any nice places to go? pls reply i am stressing myself.
Original post by Anonymous
hey! i’m going to sussex in september n i’m so scared about moving and being able to afford life there. i live in yorkshire rn n from visiting sussex a few times there is a large difference in the price of stuff and accommodation (with it being 8.1k a year in sussex in comparison to 4/5k accom at home). i know there is cheaper accom options off campus n townhouses but i cannot bring myself to share with 11 people and i need to stay on campus as i want to get to know brighton without stressing about travelling to uni everyday if ygm. i understand as brighton is a lovely place n has access to london but it’s so extortionate!
anyway i just wanted to ask is it easy to find jobs in the brighton area and how much money should i save in preparation for moving (i have around 1.6k right now but i know many people go to uni without saving money but i have to or ill stress way too much😞)
but anyway, i’m so excited :3 concerts n everything as nobody decent comes near me n it’s always london. 😡 OH AND ALSO where should i visit when i move bc ive only ever been brighton n eastbourne area n places in between those two, any nice places to go? pls reply i am stressing myself.

Hey I'm also from Yorkshire! 🙂 I've visited nearly every other week for the past 5/6 months, and from what I've seen with people I've met there's no issues getting jobs, very similar to up north, although you should apply early considering competition for applicant part time jobs will be high, depending on what area of work you're wanting to go into. Many places still require previous experience which is always annoying to deal with. There's jobs on the campus itself like working at the co-op, but again there'll be a lot of competition.
I've got a similar amount saved up and I would say it's fine so long as you're looking for a job - although my sister was lucky she didn't need to work much with her maintenance loan.
I know a few good restaurants like Bill's, Wahaca and Murasaki and cheap clubs but there's also a good few fun activities like escape rooms or even just nice walks along the coast 🙂if you'd like to talk more I'd love to!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending