The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

You poor little lot! I'm glad I had the time inbetween college and applying to uni. I can't imagine how stressful it must be to do your exams and coursework whilst having all the uncertainty about uni. :frown:

It'll all be over soon, then there's a lovely summer of festivals and drinking and debauchery ahead. Before you know it it'll be time to carry your bindle and laptop down to Brighton!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 41
Hey I'm Chris, 17 at the moment but will be 18 when i start uni. I'm going to be studying mathematics with management studies and have accepted Sussex as firm choice with an offer of ABB or 350points from 3 A2s and an AS, which i'm fairly confident about getting.

I'm into sport, music, movies, all the usual stuff really, hoepfully will see you lot later on in the year!
Reply 42
Thanks for the list ladyportacabin! Whew it looks a little bit heavy, this university thing suddenly got a bit more real! think ill try and read them all over summer whether i get in or not, might as well.
Also question for anyone who might know...is there a drama or musical theatre soc at sussex? meant to find out when i went but i forgot!
Reply 43
HelsBels
Thanks for the list ladyportacabin! Whew it looks a little bit heavy, this university thing suddenly got a bit more real! think ill try and read them all over summer whether i get in or not, might as well.
Also question for anyone who might know...is there a drama or musical theatre soc at sussex? meant to find out when i went but i forgot!

There are both. SUDS (Drama), which put on several plays (normally three or so) a term, and SMUTS (Musical Theatre) who did Cocacabana last term.
Hi im Tom, 17, will be doing Politics next year. Massive gig-goer, (partly why i didn't go Exeter:smile: ) Hope i haven't made a mistake in picking Sussex over Newcastle.

www.myspace.com/tom_indiekid
hawkins_hammer
Hi im Tom, 17, will be doing Politics next year. Massive gig-goer, (partly why i didn't go Exeter:smile: ) Hope i haven't made a mistake in picking Sussex over Newcastle.

I'm confuuused. I almost DID choose Exeter, because I thought it does have a lot of gigs ... hrm.
Reply 46
soulofanewmachine
I'm confuuused. I almost DID choose Exeter, because I thought it does have a lot of gigs ... hrm.

wow, snap, me too! I've been completely undecided between Sussex and Exeter for months, Exeter won hands down for location because I love the westcountry but somehow Sussex seemed more 'me' and the course seemed more appealing. Oh well, I finally made up my mind tonight and picked Sussex first and Exeter second cos I just couldn't leave it out even though it was the same grades! :biggrin:. I'm glad its not just me that has turned down Exeter for Sussex kind of makes me feel a bit better!

I would have thought Brighton has much more in the way of gigs than Exeter, Exeter seems a bit quiet and laid back, Brighton is more upbeat and buzzing, reminded me of London quite a bit, apart from the sea of course! Anyway I definitely think you'll find enough gigs to keep you going in Brighton and Exeter doesn't have a music department so you'll probably have much more opportunity to enjoy the music talent on campus at Sussex too! And of course we have the downs right next to our doorstep if we need a bit of quiet and need to relax so we have the best of both worlds! See you in september people!
Brighton is good for gigs, but remember that occassionally a trip up to London will be in order. If you're a massive fan of the kind of band that will only play five major cities on their UK tours, at least. Brighton gets lots of medium size bands on their tours, and smaller ones too. And the Brighton Centre is big enough to attract the odd big big act. :smile:

EDIT: Though zoe, if you're expecting lots of live music on campus, don't hold out too much hope. Yeah, sometimes East Slope has a band in the corner, but really, for local talent, get into town! Free Butt, The Albert, Pav Tav, etc...
zoea85
I'm glad its not just me that has turned down Exeter for Sussex kind of makes me feel a bit better!

Yeeees :smile: I pretty much made my choice after visiting an Exeter Open Day ... Sussex just seemed .. nicer. For want of a better word. I had a good feeling about it, which was noticeably absent at Exeter.
Reply 49
soulofanewmachine
Yeeees :smile: I pretty much made my choice after visiting an Exeter Open Day ... Sussex just seemed .. nicer. For want of a better word. I had a good feeling about it, which was noticeably absent at Exeter.

Ahh cool, I think we've made the right choice :smile:. Exeter just confused me a bit because I felt that they were more up the league table and loved the location and pretty campus, but the ambundance of snotty girls with their noses in the air with mummy and daddy really freaked me out! Forgive me for reinforcing a stereotype but as a whole, Sussex students /prospective students and their parents just seemed down to earth and Exeter seemed the complete opposite. I wouldn't have wanted to be treated as the only cockney in the village at Exeter, I just felt like I'd be so out of place. I think it's healthy to have a mix of backgrounds / ethnicities etc but Exeter just seemed very mono culturaland stuck that way. All the girls' accents were so annoyingly posh I think it would have driven me nuts! Think I'll be at home with the amount of Londoners sussex is supposed to have haha!
Reply 50
Hi, I'm Kate. I'm 21 and another veggie. I'm going to studying Physical Sciences in the foundation year (they wouldn't let me start in the first year cos I've had some time out bah). It hopefully means I'll have more time to party tho! :p:
Reply 51
awww, thats mean of then Kate. Do the think everything has fallen outta your head in a few years?
I think i've forgotten most of my access course from last year. That's what working in an office does to you.
Reply 53
ladyportacabin
I think i've forgotten most of my access course from last year. That's what working in an office does to you.

Wow, really gives me faith that my degree will be money well spent. :rolleyes:
Reply 54
Hey!

I'm Jimmy, living in Swden but will be moving to the UK this fall...Firmly accepted Media and Cultural Studies at Sussex (and East Anglia as my second choice). Looking forward to moving to Brighton, also a bit anxious about moving abroad. But I don't think I'll regret it. :rolleyes:

By the way, anyone else who applied for off-campus accomodation.?
Reply 55
Not a new student nor attending sussex uni (though I am studying half way between brighton city-centre and Falmer [hint]). Just in case I might as well mention I'm studying Business and gonna be in my 2nd year.

Looks like there loads of girls coming over in September by this post. Hopefully there will be some chances to meet up with everyone.
Wiicked
Hey!

I'm Jimmy, living in Swden but will be moving to the UK this fall...Firmly accepted Media and Cultural Studies at Sussex (and East Anglia as my second choice). Looking forward to moving to Brighton, also a bit anxious about moving abroad. But I don't think I'll regret it. :rolleyes:

By the way, anyone else who applied for off-campus accomodation.?

Which off-campus accommodation have you applied for? My boyfriend lives in Holland House so I'll try and answer any questions if you've applied there.
Reply 57
How do! I'm Leanne, I'm 19 and I'm going to be studying English in September. I've applied for Lewes Court phase 1 but I kinda like the sound of East Slope now! I'm vegetarian (student cliche!) and I LOVE going to gigs, I'm going to Download Festival very soon, which is gonna be fun. Has anyone else taken a gap year? I'm a bit worried about being a older than everyone! xxx
Reply 58
hallucination
Which off-campus accommodation have you applied for? My boyfriend lives in Holland House so I'll try and answer any questions if you've applied there.

Yes, I did put Holland house down as my first chioce, and I really hope I get it. :p: But what's it like, compared to the on-campus halls? And, how inconvenient is it to live off-campus? i figure that it requires going by bus to the uni every day.... Is Holland house close to Brighton?

Thx:biggrin:
Wiicked
Yes, I did put Holland house down as my first chioce, and I really hope I get it. :p: But what's it like, compared to the on-campus halls? And, how inconvenient is it to live off-campus? i figure that it requires going by bus to the uni every day.... Is Holland house close to Brighton?

Thx:biggrin:

Holland House is a pretty cool place to live as it's just off the seafront, some of the rooms are pretty big and it's fairly close to town (although it's situated in Hove rather than Brighton). The disadvantages - it takes around 40 minutes to get to university on the bus which means that missing a couple of lectures is appealing. Also, you have to share a kitchen with 30 people and a bathroom with about 15....can become a bit crowded at times! Also it's impossible to throw a party because the porter is there 24 hours and will shut it down! Internet access is only available in the basement (which also comprises a pool table, TV room and launderette) although some people manage to connect wirelessly depending on the situation of their room. Hope that helps! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending