The Student Room Group

Man finds out he's not the father of 3 children. Yup you guess what happens next...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Archers fan
You'd think after all those years he might actually love the children who are innocent in the matter and feel like a parent and want to support them. Is it ok that his concern for them instantaneously disappeared when he found out that his sperm was not involved? One of them is his but it seems like his financial and ego centred concerns trump any child centred approach. They sound as bad as each other to me.
Do you also think it should be criminal for a guy to get a woman into bed claiming to be committed to the relationship then run a mile when she gets pregnant and refuse to pay for his offspring? If so we will need quite a few new prisons.

It is illegal where the father has parental responsibility.
Unfortunately, unlike in the East, the men seem to get the short stick in the West unjustly, and that is always fine by the feminists and the politicians. The woman is not being tried for her cheating, fine, but to the West, it is perfectly okay for the man to suffer for it. If something unjustly similar happened to a woman, then you will have the liberal useless politicians and women climbing over each other to whine.

Women are often unfairly favoured, particularly in the family courts but misogyny is still rife, as you've so beautifully illustrated.

Unfortunately, the first poster got that right. Although his language might be harsh, that is a general fact. How many feminist groups do you know try to change family law? The laws in western countries clearly favor women. It is unfair and biased against men. Yet no feminist group seeks to amend it. This seems to suggest most of them want to retain the benefits of a female, yet push for the advantages and opportunities awarded to males. In short, you seek the benefits without the responsibilities.

These laws protecting women came about in olden times, they are old laws not suited for recent times. Previously, a woman was expected to remain at home to care for the children and family, and hence had to sacrifice her career. These laws were meant to protect the woman in case of a divorce otherwise it would be hard on her. However, with laws currently changed to outlaw gender discrimination, these laws created to mitigate the effects of marriage should also end. You cannot simply seek to retain the advantages of law created to compensate for the giving up of a career while asking for laws to encourage you to get a career.
Original post by belligerent ghoul
Of course it should be up to him. Did you miss the part where I said he shouldn't be forced to pay anything? But no, I don't think it would be good of him to abandon his children after 16 years. He has free will like everyone else, does that mean I should love every decision a person makes in the name of their emotions? If he is unable to pay, fair enough. And it's clearly not "fine for the man to suffer for it" as has many here have pointed out and the fact that there is a news story about it. If this type of thing was fine, no one would bat an eyelid.

Women are often unfairly favoured, particularly in the family courts but misogyny is still rife, as you've so beautifully illustrated.

I am sorry I did not realise standing up for men's right and denying women the chance of an advantage is misogyny. You sure have the thinking of our politicians and feminists, no wonder a lot of men are "fairly" destroyed in family courts because "she is used to the lifestyle".
Original post by Cristocracy
Unfortunately, the first poster got that right. Although his language might be harsh, that is a general fact. How many feminist groups do you know try to change family law? The laws in western countries clearly favor women. It is unfair and biased against men. Yet no feminist group seeks to amend it. This seems to suggest most of them want to retain the benefits of a female, yet push for the advantages and opportunities awarded to males. In short, you seek the benefits without the responsibilities.

These laws protecting women came about in olden times, they are old laws not suited for recent times. Previously, a woman was expected to remain at home to care for the children and family, and hence had to sacrifice her career. These laws were meant to protect the woman in case of a divorce otherwise it would be hard on her. However, with laws currently changed to outlaw gender discrimination, these laws created to mitigate the effects of marriage should also end. You cannot simply seek to retain the advantages of law created to compensate for the giving up of a career while asking for laws to encourage you to get a career.

I agree with this...I'm not sure why you're quoting me? I think this is definitely something that needs to be tackled. I believe there are groups that campaign against this sort of stuff but I haven't heard much for a while...Actually, just came across this so at least it's getting some attention, though still not nearly enough tbh.

Original post by LutherVan
I am sorry I did not realise standing up for men's right and denying women the chance of an advantage is misogyny. You sure have the thinking of our politicians and feminists, no wonder a lot of men are "fairly" destroyed in family courts because "she is used to the lifestyle".

I wasn't referring to your "standing up for men's rights", just your language in general seemed to suggest real contempt for women.

Anyway, I'm done. If you're trying to argue the point the Cristocracy makes above, then I agree with that and it would seem that you're just rather **** at arguing your point in an inoffensive manner.
I agree with this...I'm not sure why you're quoting me?

Well, I was just making a general point-not directed at you-and your post provides a good lead for me to do so
Can't believe people are actually arguing that he should be forced to pay for kids that aren't his.

The mind boggles.
I bet loads of people will disagree and find it immoral and whatnot but I can't help but think that mandatory DNA testing at birth might prevent a lot of this kind of thing from happening.

Original post by Heavenly_Blues
Can't believe people are actually arguing that he should be forced to pay for kids that aren't his.

The mind boggles.

I don't really think he should be forced to, but (without reading the article because I CBA and this is anything but 'news') if he really wants nothing to do with them then... Well, he's a ****. The kids never did anything wrong, and just as he brought them up thinking they were 'his', they grew up seeing him as their father. ****ing off just because they're not his progeny is really uncool. I'm sure many adopted people and those that have adopted will agree that being the biological parent isn't really all that important (in some societies like ancient Rome it was near irrelevant) and holding the indiscretions of one person against another (that wasn't even alive at the time) is pathetic and childish.
(edited 11 years ago)
Funny how very few people are concerned with how he - the guy who just found out his gf of 16 years is a massive slag and got knocked up several times and lied to him to make out that he was the father - is feeling after all this. Why is there so much sympathy for the cheating slut?
Reply 188
Original post by sarahthegemini
Funny how very few people are concerned with how he - the guy who just found out his gf of 16 years is a massive slag and got knocked up several times and lied to him to make out that he was the father - is feeling after all this. Why is there so much sympathy for the cheating slut?

A person from the female gender telling it how it is.

Is this real life or fantasy?
Original post by Ultimate1
A person from the female gender telling it how it is.

Is this real life or fantasy?

Real :tongue:
Reply 190
Original post by concubine
I don't really think he should be forced to, but (without reading the article because I CBA and this is anything but 'news') if he really wants nothing to do with them then... Well, he's a ****. The kids never did anything wrong, and just as he brought them up thinking they were 'his', they grew up seeing him as their father. ****ing off just because they're not his progeny is really uncool. I'm sure many adopted people and those that have adopted will agree that being the biological parent isn't really all that important (in some societies like ancient Rome it was near irrelevant) and holding the indiscretions of one person against another (that wasn't even alive at the time) is pathetic and childish.

Yes, the poor kids in this never did anything wrong, but neither did the man. It was the woman that created this mess, who lied and cheated and took advantage of the perks women get in the courts, so why doesn't she pay for it?
Reply 191
Original story is in french and subscription only. Happened in Montreal, Canada.

my my, ultimate, every thread you make never fails to dissapoint.

but yes, reproductive rights are pretty lopsided and the scales fall to much to a woman's side.
compare their rights (in america at any rate)

Females:

1. Women are presented with multiple varieties of contraceptives and methods of birth control. Daily pills, shots, IUDs, Plan B, diaphragms, condoms, and all kinds of other stuff. Women have lots of options. All accompanied by benefits and drawbacks. They also have the nuclear option of a hysterectomy and the old-school method of contraception called abstinence.

2. Should unprotected sex occur or contraceptives fail and a woman conceives, she is presented with these options: get an abortion, or carry the baby to term.

3. Should she keep the baby to term, she is again presented with a variety of options: keep the baby, give the baby up for adoption, or abandon the baby at a hospital, no questions asked.

4. Should a woman tragically be raped and impregnated, she has the option of carrying the baby to term, taking Plan B, or undergoing an abortion.

5. Should a woman who is underage tragically be seduced and impregnated by an adult male (statutory rape) she has the option of carrying the baby to term, taking Plan B, or undergoing an abortion.

6. Upon birthing a baby, every woman has access to an extensive social safety net and a brutal child custody system eager to extract funds from any man she declares is the father. Whether he actually is the father or not.

7. Numerous governmental organizations and legislation like Obamacare provide women with subsidized access to birth control options.

8. In divorce, child custody is heavily lopsided in favor of the woman.

Males:

1. Men have three birth control options: Condoms, vasectomies, and abstinence.

2. Should unprotected sex occur or contraceptives fail and a woman conceives, a man loses all decisionmaking ability over the status of the baby from then on.

3. Should a woman deceive a man into impregnating her, he also loses all decisionmaking ability over the status of the pregnancy and the baby from then on.

4. If a man wants to keep the baby and the woman wants an abortion, tough luck. If a man doesn't want to be a father and the woman wants to keep the baby, tough luck. If the man wants to keep the baby and the woman wants to give it up for adoption, tough luck.

5. Should a male be raped, statutory or otherwise, he is fully liable to pay child support to his rapist.

6. In cases of divorce, men are heavily disadvantaged in child custody. They are also pursued by a brutal child support enforcement apparatus with the ability to take away many of his constitutional rights.

7. There is no comparable government subsidy for male birth control options. In fact, Obamacare specifically excludes coverage for male birth control options.

8. When men have custody, they have a really hard time getting any child support money from the woman. In fact, women who owe child support are more likely to be "deadbeat parents" than men who owe child support.
(edited 11 years ago)
Forget his relationship with the kids. That isn't the point here at all. The point is that like usual men are being dragged through the courts by their *******s because of a women's indiscretions.

The kids aren't his, he shouldn't pay.
Reply 193
Original post by uktotalgamer
Forget his relationship with the kids. That isn't the point here at all. The point is that like usual men are being dragged through the courts by their *******s because of a women's indiscretions.

The kids aren't his, he shouldn't pay.

This. The law doesn't necessarily encompass morality. If they are not his kids, he is entitled to not pay for them.
Reply 194
Original post by bottled
my my, ultimate, every thread you make never fails to dissapoint.

Logic cannot ever disappoint :wink:

but yes, reproductive rights are pretty lopsided and the scales fall to much to a woman's side.
compare their rights (in america at any rate)

Females:

1. Women are presented with multiple varieties of contraceptives and methods of birth control. Daily pills, shots, IUDs, Plan B, diaphragms, condoms, and all kinds of other stuff. Women have lots of options. All accompanied by benefits and drawbacks. They also have the nuclear option of a hysterectomy and the old-school method of contraception called abstinence.

2. Should unprotected sex occur or contraceptives fail and a woman conceives, she is presented with these options: get an abortion, or carry the baby to term.

3. Should she keep the baby to term, she is again presented with a variety of options: keep the baby, give the baby up for adoption, or abandon the baby at a hospital, no questions asked.

4. Should a woman tragically be raped and impregnated, she has the option of carrying the baby to term, taking Plan B, or undergoing an abortion.

5. Should a woman who is underage tragically be seduced and impregnated by an adult male (statutory rape) she has the option of carrying the baby to term, taking Plan B, or undergoing an abortion.

6. Upon birthing a baby, every woman has access to an extensive social safety net and a brutal child custody system eager to extract funds from any man she declares is the father. Whether he actually is the father or not.

7. Numerous governmental organizations and legislation like Obamacare provide women with subsidized access to birth control options.

8. In divorce, child custody is heavily lopsided in favor of the woman.

Males:

2. Should unprotected sex occur or contraceptives fail and a woman conceives, a man loses all decisionmaking ability over the status of the baby from then on.

3. Should a woman deceive a man into impregnating her, he also loses all decisionmaking ability over the status of the pregnancy and the baby from then on.

4. If a man wants to keep the baby and the woman wants an abortion, tough luck. If a man doesn't want to be a father and the woman wants to keep the baby, tough luck. If the man wants to keep the baby and the woman wants to give it up for adoption, tough luck.

5. Should a male be raped, statutory or otherwise, he is fully liable to pay child support to his rapist.

6. In cases of divorce, men are heavily disadvantaged in child custody. They are also pursued by a brutal child support enforcement apparatus with the ability to take away many of his constitutional rights.

7. There is no comparable government subsidy for male birth control options. In fact, Obamacare specifically excludes coverage for male birth control options.

8. When men have custody, they have a really hard time getting any child support money from the woman. In fact, women who owe child support are more likely to be "deadbeat parents" than men who owe child support.

Very informative post. :yy:

Then feminists have the nerve to say that women need reproductive rights?!?!
Reply 195
Logic cannot ever disappoint :wink:

Very informative post. :yy:

Then feminists have the nerve to say that women need reproductive rights?!?!

If you so wish i could just simply give you the links to very very good egalitarian blogs, with pretty good recources
Awwwwwww!!! That sucks sooo badly... Just imagine if that is you..
Original post by bottled

Males:

Ultimately 2, 3 and 4 come down to the fact that a man is not able to force a woman to have an abortion or follow through with a pregnancy. I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this, to be honest.

There's a lot of statistical cherry picking and misinformation in the whole custody/divorce debate. The vast majority of custody decisions are made out of court between the parents and are not disputed. When men pursue custody, they get it about half the time. Another source:

New England Law Review
We began our investigation of child custody aware of a common perception that there is a bias in favor of women in these decisions. Our research contradicted this perception. Although mothers more frequently get primary physical custody of children following divorce, this practice does not reflect bias but rather the agreement of the parties and the fact that, in most families, mothers have been the primary caretakers of children. Fathers who actively seek custody obtain either primary or joint physical custody over 70% of the time.
http://www.amptoons.com/blog/files/Massachusetts_Gender_Bias_Study.htm

There is very little real evidence for court bias in custody decisions. You can make an argument for a social bias but not a legal one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by Captain Haddock
Ultimately 2, 3 and 4 come down to the fact that a man is not able to force a woman to have an abortion or follow through with a pregnancy. I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this, to be honest.

There's a lot of statistical cherry picking and misinformation in the whole custody/divorce debate. The vast majority of custody decisions are made out of court between the parents and are not disputed. When men pursue custody, they get it about half the time. Another source:

There is very little real evidence for court bias in custody decisions. You can make an argument for a social bias but not a legal one.

Before I start debating, I am referring to american stats, not UK stats here BTW.

However back. to business again firstly, numbers 2,3,4. There isn't really an issue with it, the main point of noting it down was simply to show what rights they have. The tone of the article may seem like they want that ability, but I can't speak for them but I'm listing it down just tho show the differences.

The man should haver the ability at the least to opt out of parenthood should he chooses not to be part of the child's. Life as soon as that child is born, the results would be permanent thougj. And in order to stop more unwanted pregnancies, maybe people ought to stop boycotting the male contraceptives, and there ought to be better sex education

Referring to the divorce stats, I'm mostly using us statistics so we can't really debate on that
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Captain Haddock

I can't believe in this day and age, despite all the news reports, someone can still attempt to make argument that the courts are not bias in favour of women when it comes to child custody. That is just unbelievably ridiculous.

Worse still is that the evidence provided state, by default, the courts state the woman as the preferred parent. So more ridiculous!

We should not even go into the number of cases where the female violates custody and visitation agreements/rights and the courts say their hands are tied because it is in the best interest of the child not to fine her, not to send her to jail and not to pass custody to the more reasonable father.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending