The Student Room Group

Man finds out he's not the father of 3 children. Yup you guess what happens next...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ultimate1
An even better option would be to let the woman get the support she needs. Stop all benefits she can receive and give her the bare minimum. Then tell her to get funds herself for the mess she created herself. It's amazing how courts don't let women face the consequences for their actions.
The problem there, as other have said, is she won't be the only one facing the consequences of her actions. The children, who have done nothing wrong, will have to grow up with little money and no father. She should have to find the actual father and the two of them can pay for the little mess they created. The actual father is just a much to blame, he's got involved, ruined a relationship and then done a runner. He can pay to ensure his kids don't grow up to be delinquents. He should have to pay some kind of compensation IMO too, he owes the other guys years worth of payments.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Here's a novel idea, how about their actual father? She's clearly didn't just meet him once since there are 3 kids. I know its a massive ask for her to actually remember his name, find him and all these other inconveniences, but I can't help feeling parents paying for their kids may be fairer than people who aren't their parents being forced via legal means to pay for someone else's kids.

But why should he have to pay? He might not even have known she was pregnant. She might not even have known he was the father. (or them - there could be 3 of them after all, doesn't say anything about them having the same dad).

Neither of them should be forced to pay imo, neither of them 'chose' to be the father, the biological father(s) might not even be aware the children exist. It would be unfair on him/them too.

She might have lied to them too, the fault (from the situation described, obviously maybe the biological father(s) might have been more involved, have fault on them too etc, but idk details so can't judge) is all on her.

Obviously that might change depending on the biological father(s) involvement.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
The problem there, as other have said, is she won't be the only one facing the consequences of her actions. The children, who have done nothing wrong, will have to grow up with little money and no father. She should have to find the actual father and the two of them can pay for the little mess they created. The actual father is just a much to blame, he's got involved, ruined a relationship and then done a runner. He can pay to ensure his kids don't grow up to be delinquents. He should have to pay some kind of compensation IMO too, he owes the other guys years worth of payments.

Yes that also makes much more sense now. That guy owes the guy good amount of compensation. They both should clean up the mess the created.

It's a sad day for justice when a man pays for his virtues.

Also is it just me or $700 per month out of $900 net income just insane? That means the guy will be earning just $2400 per year?
Original post by LutherVan
And why should he be the one taking care of kids that are not his?

You don't think he should even be getting a refund from the mother for the years of deceit?

I said I wasn't arguing whether the whole thing was right or wrong, just that OP saying the money was a "reward for the woman" was wrong.
The system isn't "supporting women" - it's supporting the children.

I couldn't care less whether they are biologically his or not, he accepted them as his own and spent years bringing them up as such. He therefore has a responsibility to them - you can't just dump them because of it, it's hardly their fault.

Though I do agree, $700 from a $900 pay check is ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by vaguity
But why should he have to pay? He might not even have known she was pregnant. She might not even have known he was the father. (or them - there could be 3 of them after all, doesn't say anything about them having the same dad).

Neither of them should be forced to pay imo, neither of them 'chose' to be the father, the biological father(s) might not even be aware the children exist. It would be unfair on him/them too.

She might have lied to them too, the fault (from the situation described, obviously maybe the biological father(s) might have been more involved, have fault on them too etc, but idk details so can't judge) is all on her.
Perhaps because he has kids? They are biologically his, if someone has to pay he should be first, and last, in line. Even if he had known she was pregnant he'd still have had to pay. I can't even see how there is an argument here, you are equating a biological father and a guy who for all intents and purposes is a random man. He chose to be a father when he had sex without taking proper precautions, that's when he made his commitment. 3 times.
Reply 26
Original post by Arturo Bandini
I said I wasn't arguing whether the whole thing was right or wrong, just that OP saying the money was a "reward for the woman" was wrong.

I'm wondering what his income spent on his children before was? Sure as heck wasn't as high as $700/month out $900/month or else he would living out in the streets.
What makes my blood boil is the thought that this woman probably feels most of his income should be going on child support. When she's a ****ing awful human being for being able to let him hold three kids the day they were born almost certainly knowing that they weren't his. I just don't get some people. How could you actually live such a lie for years?

Of course family is more than blood. But it seems to me like she's torn the family apart by being a world-class ****, and to be honest I'd trust her as far as I could throw her. I doubt much of that child support money is going on necessary things for the kids, and who can blame a guy for reacting strongly to news like this? It's not fair to take it out on the innocents here, the children, but we're irrational beings and stuff like that can and does happen. And we know that, and this woman did, too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Perhaps because he has kids? They are biologically his, if someone has to pay he should be first, and last, in line. Even if he had known she was pregnant he'd still have had to pay. I can't even see how there is an argument here, you are equating a biological father and a guy who for all intents and purposes is a random man. He chose to be a father when he had sex without taking proper precautions, that's when he made his commitment. 3 times.

Edited OP with English link:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/06/dad-must-pay-child-support-for-3-kids-that-arent-his-court-rules

They were all fathered by different men.

This is a disgrace.
Original post by The_Duck
Cheating isn't a crime. And he was happy to admit that they were his children before the tests.

Admitting something infers that it's true. This was never true in the first place.

Original post by Archers fan
You'd think after all those years he might actually love the children who are innocent in the matter and feel like a parent and want to support them. Is it ok that his concern for them instantaneously disappeared when he found out that his sperm was not involved? One of them is his but it seems like his financial and ego centred concerns trump any child centred approach. They sound as bad as each other to me.

The guy may love them, and might happily pay. However, as they aren't actually his children, shouldn't that be his choice?
It wrong. They aren't his children and he should have no more legal commitment to pay for them than anyone else.

As for the people saying he should just love them anyway, in much the same way women who are raped often can't bear to keep their kids, just saying love them is pretty easy when they aren't a constant reminder of a something traumatic and hurtful. Its hard to move on from a painful event when you have a reminder staring you in the face everyday.

The problem with this is the guy who is the actual father is getting away with it. He's not caring or paying for his kids, so in lieu of that they have just turned and bent the nearest guy over a barrel. What should be happening is that guy is getting taken to court and sued for back payments, and the guy being released from commitments he didn't make.

Don't think we know enough about this story to say what "should" have happened. For all you know, the wife lied about her relationship to the man, had a one night stand with the real father in which a condom was used so the father thought nothing more of it. Would you still pursue the real father for back payments when he would have had no idea that he had to make payments in the first place?

How do you know the same guy is the father to all three of the children? Does it say it in the article?:s-smilie:

We don't know what 'precautions' were taken. She might have lied to them and said she was on the pill. Like, we know she's a ****ty person because she cheated, what's to say she didn't lie to these men too? Obviously if he/they knew about and condoned (or at least didn't protest) the pregnancy, that's a different matter; of course they should pay. But if she tricked them like she did the guy in the article, then no.

I'd like to point out I've not even claimed anywhere that that man SHOULD pay child support. If you look at my original post, I actually said "What should happen is that the man should be able to opt out of paying child support as he falsely believed they were his children."

The thing that me and you differ on is that I just don't think 'having sex' should be a committment to parenthood, but you appear to, but I think this is sort of a separate issue and I'm not entirely sure why we're debating it lol.

(I mean if she was pregnant and he wanted her to get an abortion, but she said no shouldn't he have been able to "opt out" of parenthood? if the woman can (through abortion, adoption)? I think it's weird than women get the choice but men just get stuck with whatever women choose.)

So a married couple should never have sex in case the woman gets pregnant.

I just thought of something interesting, they got married the same year the first child was born, it could be he married her as she told him she was pregnant with his child and been in a marriage from hell the entire time

Your description reminds me of the real hustle, one time they pretended a laptop was new when it was a broken junk one worth nothing and said the person bumped them and broke it so the guy paid her for the laptop.

So he believed he broke it therefore paid for it and its fraud just like here
Reply 33
Original post by vaguity
:rolleyes:I didn't say it should come from him...Did you even read the whole of my ****ing post?

Here, I'll pick it out for you:
"What should happen is that the man should be able to opt out of paying child support as he falsely believed they were his children."

Try reading the whole thing next time, okay? :smile:

Edit: If you're referring to "because the focus here is on the needs of the children: they're gonna need money for upkeep and it needs to come from somewhere, and they clearly think the 'best' " then that is not MY opinion i.e I think it should come from him, that's what I feel the SYSTEM believes. Hence the "they think is 'best'". I even quoted 'best' to show my disdain.

But, like I said, I don't see how he can not have developed a bond with his children and WANT to provide towards their upkeep; they're still his family even if they aren't blood. Perhaps not such a ridiculous chunk out of his budget; he should pay what he wants to pay.

My apologies.
Original post by coconut2456
Don't think we know enough about this story to say what "should" have happened. For all you know, the wife lied about her relationship to the man, had a one night stand with the real father in which a condom was used so the father thought nothing more of it. Would you still pursue the real father for back payments when he would have had no idea that he had to make payments in the first place?
There is no scenario in which he can change the fact he would have to make child support payments. If she told him she was single on the pill, had an implant, they used a condom, and she told him the moment she got pregnant, the fact is its out of his hands. She could still have the child and he would still have to make payments. The fact she lied, any of that doesn't change the fact he fathered a child. Yes I think I would, he would have had to pay them anyway, through no fault of his own he's not paid, but he's still had that money all these years where some other poor bugger has been paying.
Reply 35
Women who do this are utter scum. Feel so sorry for the guy. Ladies you ever try to pull this **** with a man, I have no sympathy for whatever consequences you'd face thereafter.
Original post by vaguity
How do you know the same guy is the father to all three of the children? Does it say it in the article?:s-smilie:

We don't know what 'precautions' were taken. She might have lied to them and said she was on the pill. Like, we know she's a ****ty person because she cheated, what's to say she didn't lie to these men too? Obviously if he/they knew about and condoned (or at least didn't protest) the pregnancy, that's a different matter; of course they should pay. But if she tricked them like she did the guy in the article, then no.

I'd like to point out I've not even claimed anywhere that that man SHOULD pay child support. If you look at my original post, I actually said "What should happen is that the man should be able to opt out of paying child support as he falsely believed they were his children."

The thing that me and you differ on is that I just don't think 'having sex' should be a committment to parenthood, but you appear to, but I think this is sort of a separate issue and I'm not entirely sure why we're debating it lol.

(I mean if she was pregnant and he wanted her to get an abortion, but she said no shouldn't he have been able to "opt out" of parenthood? if the woman can (through abortion, adoption)? I think it's weird than women get the choice but men just get stuck with whatever women choose.)
They aren't the OP clarified a bit further up.

Precautions are irrelevant if you have sex with a random girl and she gets pregnant, you father a child. You need to exercise personal responsibility, either when you have sex or if not afterwards with any potential consequences. She can lied all she likes, the fact remains he had a 9+ year old child he hasn't made a single payment for, when he's obligated by law to pay from the moment the child is born.

I don't think sex should mean you are obligated to parent but in the current state of the law it has to be, unless you want kids growing up destitute. An option to opt out of your parental duties during the pregnancy if you are informed should be an option for men, but at present it isn't.
Original post by 2ndClass
Women who do this are utter scum. Feel so sorry for the guy. Ladies you try to pull this **** with a man, I have no sympathy for whatever consequences you'd face thereafter.

Have you heard of sperm bandits? Saw a documentary years ago that women were having PROTECTED sex with men then recovering the condom often freezing it then impregnating themselves and years later the man gets a child support bill and is forced to pay!
Original post by drbluebox
Have you heard of sperm bandits? Saw a documentary years ago that women were having PROTECTED sex with men then recovering the condom often freezing it then impregnating themselves and years later the man gets a child support bill and is forced to pay!

What in the actual ****?
Came in expecting Ultimate1 to be the OP.

Left satisfied. ;D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending