The Student Room Group

The Biggest Decision of your Life...

You have the choice between Manchester University and Warwick University for Physics, which one would you choose and why?

I find myself in this situation at the moment. I have no knowledge of Warwick University. I live very close to Manchester so I know all about the city, but again I have no knowledge of how Manchester Uni compares to Warwick.

I fear I will take the easy option of picking Manchester just because it's close by and not giving Warwick the time of day which could be one of the biggest blunders of my life.

I have until June 5th to decide. What are your thoughts?
Reply 1
warwıck ıs...amazıng ı feel

good academıcally and one of the bıggest SUs ıve ever seen....go and have a look on the websıte www.warwick.ac.uk because ıt may sway ur decısıon ıf u stıll dont lıke ıt...then take the easy optıon :smile:
minicoopa
warwıck ıs...amazıng ı feel

good academıcally and one of the bıggest SUs ıve ever seen....go and have a look on the websıte www.warwick.ac.uk because ıt may sway ur decısıon ıf u stıll dont lıke ıt...then take the easy optıon :smile:
Lol...
How are you judging big? I am pretty sure Manchester has more members and probably more societies just simply because our Uni is huge.

Academically about equal for physics too while we are on the subject.

It's a choice between a big city and and a uni in the country. Only you will know which environment you want to live in more. Personally I chose a big city as it was something I wanted to experience but you may be different.
Reply 3
i was trying to put across that due to the fact that warwick is more...all together it seems to be that the student unıon ıs more actıve and you seem to meet a lot more people despıte the fact that there ıs less people ın the unı...and academıcally yes faırly sımılar but there stıll ıs a slıght dıfference
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gooduniversityguide2005/20physics.pdf

DONT base ıt all on academıc though! ım just sayıng keep an open mınd

and materıal breach ı get the feelıng that BF hasnt had any ınformatıon and especıally no posıtıve ınformatıon about warwıck...ım gıvıng my opınıon on ıt. How could you tell ıf you havent even seen the unı hence why ı suggested to go to the warwıck unı.
minicoopa
i was trying to put across that due to the fact that warwick is more...all together it seems to be that the student unıon ıs more actıve and you seem to meet a lot more people despıte the fact that there ıs less people ın the unı...and academıcally yes faırly sımılar but there stıll ıs a slıght dıfference
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gooduniversityguide2005/20physics.pdf

DONT base ıt all on academıc though! ım just sayıng keep an open mınd

and materıal breach ı get the feelıng that BF hasnt had any ınformatıon and especıally no posıtıve ınformatıon about warwıck...ım gıvıng my opınıon on ıt. How could you tell ıf you havent even seen the unı hence why ı suggested to go to the warwıck unı.
The slight difference is nothing compared to how good individual physicsts are at either Uni and if you want it enough you can do well at either Uni.
Reply 5
Pick Warwick, not only because the university is more reputable, but also because you will be further away in an unfamiliar environment when compared to Manchester. This allows you to grow outside of your natural environment and helps you develop traits which you never knew you had - discipline, self-motivation, and what not.
Reply 6
Knogle
Pick Warwick, not only because the university is more reputable, but also because you will be further away in an unfamiliar environment when compared to Manchester. This allows you to grow outside of your natural environment and helps you develop traits which you never knew you had - discipline, self-motivation, and what not.

nııııııııııııııce :smile:
Knogle
Pick Warwick, not only because the university is more reputable,

The University of Warwick more reputable than Manchester? I don't think so.
Reply 8
i thought so in terms of academic achievement anyway?
minicoopa
i thought so in terms of academic achievement anyway?
Not for physics and considering Manchester is a lot older its had far more time to bulid up a reputation. On top of that the Manchester physics department must be the biggest in the country, so Warwick academic would have to work so hard to keep up with the sheer volume of research done here.

At undergraduate this really isn't that important tho. They are pretty much the same in terms of education offered at undergrad. Your individual attitude and ability is going to make a far bigger difference to how well you do. This might well be effected by the surroundings of the uni and your interests, so choose the location and lifestyle that suits you.
material breach
Not for physics and considering Manchester is a lot older its had far more time to bulid up a reputation. On top of that the Manchester physics department must be the biggest in the country, so Warwick academic would have to work so hard to keep up with the sheer volume of research done here.

At undergraduate this really isn't that important tho. They are pretty much the same in terms of education offered at undergrad. Your individual attitude and ability is going to make a far bigger difference to how well you do. This might well be effected by the surroundings of the uni and your interests, so choose the location and lifestyle that suits you.

I quite agree. I work closely with physicists from Warwick and the department is excellent, but Manchester is just as good and has a massive reputation in the subject (after all, Manchester physicists built the first synchrotron - no mean feat).
Thankyou all for the feedback.

As you highlighted yourselves, the debate is the repuation/history of Manchester University and the novelty that Warwick will bring. At the moment I'm swaying towards Warwick because it's about time something changed in my regimented life.

I'm still unsure however and this post has motivated me to take a trip to Warwick instead of scrounging my way round a pixelated Warwick on Google Earth.

About accommodation at Warwick, what's it like/ how long is someone guaranteed a room or whatever?
Burce Forsyth

As you highlighted yourselves, the debate is the repuation/history of Manchester University and the novelty that Warwick will bring. At the moment I'm swaying towards Warwick because it's about time something changed in my regimented life.
It's more about whether you want to live in the country (relatively) or a big city.
Hello

Im at warwick at the moment 2005/6 academic year for Maths and economcis. Im transfering todo Chemical engineering at Manchester for 2006/7 academic year.

I know about warwick and heres the posatives

Prestigous
Sociable
High international contingent
Great Student union
Great halls (note all warick applies apply for Rootes or ull regret it)

Negatives

In middle of nowhere, nearest city coventry
Live in the "warwick bubble" you do want to get away after a bit
Nightlife isnt amazing but its resonably priced

Manchester seems really good obviously why im applying there though if warwick did chem eng i would stay. Hope this helps

Latest

Trending

Trending