The Student Room Group

What the best uni for CS

Which one the best uni? Bath, Southampton, Lancaster, Loughborough, royal holloway computer science. All of them have a placement year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which course do you prefer?
What sort of Uni environment do you want - big/small, big city or more cosy?
Are you into sport?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Which course do you prefer?
What sort of Uni environment do you want - big/small, big city or more cosy?
Are you into sport?

i don't really mind the environment as long as that have lots of clubs and it looks different to where i currently live( which most of them are). I also wanna join a few sport clubs/clubs in general.
100% southhampton or bath. if you can go for imperial or warwick or ucl for the prestige tho.
Original post by Rainyzack
Which one the best uni? Bath, Southampton, Lancaster, Loughborough, royal holloway computer science. All of them have a placement year.

There is never a best uni. It is the one that is best for you and what suits somebody else you might end up hating. Go to visit days and come to your own conclusion.
Reply 5
Original post by ashpritgcse2020
100% southhampton or bath. if you can go for imperial or warwick or ucl for the prestige tho.

Wish I could have applied to those but unfortunately my English lang grade is holding me back😭
All these are good choices and different people have different preferences. Southampton will be the biggest city so have the better nightlife. Bath and Loughborough are outstanding sports universities and Lancaster is a top Northern university. You need to ask yourself how close or far from home do you want to be. Bath is much more expensive to live than Lancaster. Look at all the options in detail and dont make a decision until May.

Hi @Rainyzack,

It's great to hear you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

In terms of Loughborough, you are able to see some accolades for the BSc Computer Science course here. You can also find out more about the Department of Computer Science at Loughborough University here. This may help you with finding out more about the University.

However, I would recommend visiting the universities if you are able to or taking a look at any virtual tours (find out more about how you can visit Loughborough here). For instance, Loughborough has a 523-acre single-site campus and it would be worth seeing whether you feel you'd be most happy here :smile:

You may also want to consider things such as societies, sports clubs or the location itself - all these factors will play a part in making your university experience the best it can be!

I hope this helps! :smile:

Lindsay

Hey @Rainyzack

Lancaster is indeed a good uni for comp sci, I am a current 3rd year student here studying cs and I have loved the course so far.
However in terms of placement I'd like to guide you that for Computer Science, its not a placement YEAR that comes within your undergrad.
Placement here is offered to four-year MSci programme (10-week industry placement in its final year) which is fully arranged by the uni.
To read more about that please visit : https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/2024/#:~:text=Placements,range%20of%20UK%2Dbased%20businesses.

In terms of the actual degree I am happy to tell you my experience and more about what the undergrad course is actually like if you're interested :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck !!
Vyomika
LU Student Ambassador

Hi there,

We're delighted that you're interested in learning more about Computer Science at Royal Holloway!

We're proud to be ranked highly for the quality of our research and our teaching - a powerful combination that directly benefits you. By choosing to study here, you'll become part of a vibrant community that's all about inspiring you to succeed! You can find out more about our BSc Computer Science (Information Security) course here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/computer-science/computer-science-information-security/ including the entry requirements and course content.

Visit our campus and get a real feel for student life at one of our Open Days. You can find out more information on this page: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/open-days/ - if you have any specific questions about making an application, you may find this page helpful: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/applying/

Get answers to the questions that matter to you by chatting with our students and staff! You can chat to a current student to find out what life is really like at Royal Holloway: www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat and sign up for more information about us here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/sign-up-for-more-information/

I hope you find the above useful!

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
Hi there,

Choosing a university can be tricky as there are so many thing to consider - I dont know much about the other universities but I can give you a bit of background on Bath to help your decision.

Firstly it could be good to look into what the individual courses will offer at each universities. Each uni will offer different modules so looking through them might spark some interest in one of them. Here is some info on the CS degree at Bath:https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/computer-science/bsc-computer-science/

Secondly you will be living there for the next 3,4,5 years so you want to consider your life around your degree too. Will you want to join societies ? What kind of night life is there? Accommodation?
Bath has over 300 societies and heavy on sports clubs so there are many opportunities to pursue new hobbies, get out and meet people and take a break from your course. Furthermore, while bath is a small town so nightlife isn't the biggest, there is always a student social and a few good clubs that are always full. There is even a campus club that hosts themed nights every week and if you want something bigger, Bristol is right around the corner with night buses for easy transport.

You may want to consider graduating too. Bath has lots of links to good companies for both placement and graduate positions. They also offer a ton of CV and interview support to help you through applications and almost every one finds a place lined up for them.

Good luck with your decision,
Sophie
Reply 11
Original post by ashpritgcse2020

Yeah I'm 1000000000% accepting my imperial offer as firm. I also have Edinburgh and Manchester (Cambridge rejection) and still waiting on Durham. I would go so far as to say that Edinburgh is better than UCL imo for CS since it is flagship so I would say that Edinburgh and Bath should be above Warwick and UCL. I would have applied to Warwick but they had a significant drop in the rankings (by about 8 places!).
Reply 12
Original post by vnayak

Yeah I'm 1000000000% accepting my imperial offer as firm. I also have Edinburgh and Manchester (Cambridge rejection) and still waiting on Durham. I would go so far as to say that Edinburgh is better than UCL imo for CS since it is flagship so I would say that Edinburgh and Bath should be above Warwick and UCL. I would have applied to Warwick but they had a significant drop in the rankings (by about 8 places!).

Can I ask why you think Bath is better than UCL?
Reply 13
Original post by kavgtx
Can I ask why you think Bath is better than UCL?

CS at Bath has a better course and is well regarded for things like artificial intelligence and other things. The facility is AMAZING in terms of resources and has decent internship opportunities while on the course. However, it doesn't have the grad prospects at the same level as UCL (though they are amazing at Bath!).

When I went to the UCL Open Day with friends, the facility was outdated compared to some of the other facilities I've seen. However, by far the worst thing is during the main Open Day talk, student demonstrations about a lack of funding interrupted it and I just felt like that wasn't an environment I want to be in. Plus, I was already applying to Imperial so I wasn't crazy about spending a lot for it.

Also, Bath gives lower reduced entry requirements for my A levels so I may be slightly biased because of this but I didn't apply here.
Reply 14

What are you trying to achieve? Because the answer to this question is the one that allows you to achieve whatever you want to achieve.

If you are asking - which is the best university in terms of prestige with the best employment opportunities then you need to look at the statistics but do so knowing that employers don't care one joy which university you went to. What they are interested in is what you can do and what you know.

Good luck!
Reply 15
I have CS offers from Warwick, Edinburgh and Southampton, as I am expected to meet conditions of all three, I’m confused to select my firm choice, whether Warwick or Edinburgh from graduate prospects perspective?

Can anyone help ?
Reply 16
Original post by Sribha
I have CS offers from Warwick, Edinburgh and Southampton, as I am expected to meet conditions of all three, I’m confused to select my firm choice, whether Warwick or Edinburgh from graduate prospects perspective?

Can anyone help ?
Edinburgh without doubt...
Reply 17
Original post by Sribha

Can anyone help ?
Are you international or home?
I'm international and I still haven't received any offers from Edinburgh and Warwick
Reply 18
Original post by vnayak
Edinburgh without doubt...
Thank you for the reply. Can you share the details about employment prospects for four years CS at Edinburgh.
Reply 19
Original post by Sribha
Thank you for the reply. Can you share the details about employment prospects for four years CS at Edinburgh.
I am international, submitted application in October

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending