The Student Room Group

Does anyone else hate the personification of Cancer in the media?

I understand the serious nature of the disease but its personification in the media annoys me. Lines like "Now it's Cancers turn to be afraid" and "Cancer is evil." Just seem so stupid to me. Cancer isn't a sentient being for God sake! Even people saying they "battle" cancer just seems silly to me. I see this kind of personification in many adverts and all over Facebook.

I'm not saying it should stop. If it drums up money for research by making people have an emotional response then that's great but personally I find that sort of advertising insulting to my intelligence.

So does anyone else feel the same way?
Reply 1
I'm not particularly bothered by it really. And I suppose that's because of the fact that I've been exposed to the same kind of presentation of other inanimate and insentient things, pretty much ever since childhood when I became aware of stories and characterisation. I don't feel insulted by such things.

Although, saying that, if ever I found myself to be a cancer patient (touch wood it will never happen), considering cancer to have human attributes would be easier for me to accept and deal with. Since I already deal with humans on an everyday basis, it would to me 'seem' more hopeful that it can be thwarted in much the same way that the most terrible human being could eventually be overcome and defeated through sheer unwavering perseverance. I would prefer attaching human qualities and attaching a human image to the disease, rather than accepting it to be this mindless thing devoid completely of all reason and feeling; and just mercilessly and relentlessly killing my body for no other reason except that it is by nature making my body un-livable. The latter would be just too soul-crushing to bear.
Think it probably helps people to relate to how unrelenting and brutal cancer is, and they've probably done market analysis to determine whether it's actually effective in generating donations...if it increases donations for research thats all that matters.
I suppose personifying it makes it seem like an enemy which can be defeated. As you said. this helps raise funds for cancer research so I don't care that they're insulting my intelligence, as long as we eventually "beat cancer".
It may due to the fact that some people feel that anthropomorphising their cancer gives them something almost tangible against which to direct their feelings. I believe that some doctors even go so far as to suggest that a patient gives their cancer a name. It's a funny old world.
Reply 5
Whatever marketing scheme generates the most donations, I guess. But who cares? Its not like its a bad cause or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending