The Student Room Group

Inclined plane landing angle

If I have an smooth inclined plane of angle α\alpha to the horizontal, and a smooth particle sitting at the bottom of the slope. I give the particle an impulse up the slope at angle θ\theta to the horizontal. Show that the landing angle is tanϕ=1cotθ2tanα\tan \phi=\frac {1}{\cot \theta-2\tan \alpha}.

I know that tanϕ=vy/vx\tan \phi=-v_y/v_x, and I have the values them in the textbook as standard results. I can't seem to simplify that though...
Reply 1
Original post by bbrain
If I have an smooth inclined plane of angle α\alpha to the horizontal, and a smooth particle sitting at the bottom of the slope. I give the particle an impulse up the slope at angle θ\theta to the horizontal. Show that the landing angle is tanϕ=1cotθ2tanα\tan \phi=\frac {1}{\cot \theta-2\tan \alpha}.

I know that tanϕ=vy/vx\tan \phi=-v_y/v_x, and I have the values them in the textbook as standard results. I can't seem to simplify that though...

Calculate the time at landing
v0sinθtg2t2=v0cosθttanαv_0 \sin \theta \cdot t-\frac{g}{2}t^2=v_0 \cos \theta \cdot t \cdot \tan \alpha
write down v_y and v_x at this moment
The angle of the velocity vector to the horizontal here is
tanβ=vyvx\tan \beta =\frac{v_y}{v_x}
THe landing angle to the slope
tanϕ=tan(βα)=tanβtanα1+tanβtanα\tan \phi =\tan(\beta -\alpha)=\frac{\tan \beta-\tan \alpha}{1+\tan \beta \cdot \tan \alpha}

Quick Reply

Latest