The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be offended if I refused to eat Halal?

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE='x[Aa$iyah]x;41842289']well what does logic tell you...which would make you suffer more, being brain dead or have your throat slit in one cut

im sorry but if it was me i wouldnt want to be brain dead

being unconscious and not feeling any pain vs being awake and bleeding to death after having my throat slit.
As a muslim, no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Guru Jason
"Although there are differences in the way animals are slaughtered by the Shechita (Jewish) and Halal (Muslim) methods, both involve cutting the animal’s throat with an very sharp knife, in many cases without any form
of stunning. The teachings of the Jewish and Muslim religions state that an animal must be fully alive before it is slaughtered"
From the source you gave. Surley this is contradictory.

Also "With regard to the potential for pain and distress, FAWC considered the representations it had received, which had argued that a neck cut is not painful provided it is a rapid, uninterrupted movement carried out with an extremely sharp knife. FAWC came to the view, however, that when a large transverse incision is made across the neck a number of vital tissues are transected including: skin, muscle, trachea, oesophagus, carotid arteries, jugular veins, major nerve trunks, plus numerous minor nerves. They concluded that such a drastic cut would inevitably trigger a barrage of
sensory information to the brain in a sensible (conscious) animal. FAWC stated that, “we are persuaded that such a massive injury would result in very significant pain and distress in the period before insensibility supervenes”.

The RSPCA consideres this to be the most accurate information on the topic. How anyone can say that this is more humane that stunning beforehand is beyond me.

I'm not saying it's more humane (personally I don't care how my meat is slaughtered). However, that material is not contradictory. 'Many' animals are not stunned is compatible with '10%', because if 10 million animals are slaughtered in this manner, 1 million are not stunned and that is still 'many' animals.

If you want my personal opinion, I don't care about halal meat - it tastes just the same to me and that's all I care about. I was just trying to correct the poster who seemed to think that all halal meat was slaughtered without stunning (it was implied).
Reply 63
Original post by blue n white army
bit hypocritical??

How so? I'd think the person is overreacting because there is a time and a place for this sort of thing, and when you've chosen to go to a friend's house to eat their food, that isn't the time.

In your own home or out in public is fine, feel free to express yourself as much as you want.

If I went to a non-Muslim friend's house and they were having a meat dish with non-halal meat, I wouldn't think that would be an appropriate time to protest and express my religious beliefs, I'd politely refuse the food and eat a cheese sandwich. And I certainly wouldn't expect them to go to the shop and buy me halal meat.
Original post by PythianLegume
I'm not saying it's more humane (personally I don't care how my meat is slaughtered). However, that material is not contradictory. 'Many' animals are not stunned is compatible with '10%', because if 10 million animals are slaughtered in this manner, 1 million are not stunned and that is still 'many' animals.

If you want my personal opinion, I don't care about halal meat - it tastes just the same to me and that's all I care about. I was just trying to correct the poster who seemed to think that all halal meat was slaughtered without stunning (it was implied).

My question is that, is it still Halal meat if it has been stunned beforehand? The source you gave would suggest it is not.
Original post by Enigma55
How so? I'd think the person is overreacting because there is a time and a place for this sort of thing, and when you've chosen to go to a friend's house to eat their food, that isn't the time.

In your own home or out in public is fine, feel free to express yourself as much as you want.

If I went to a non-Muslim friend's house and they were having a meat dish with non-halal meat, I wouldn't think that would be an appropriate time to protest and express my religious beliefs, I'd politely refuse the food and eat a cheese sandwich. And I certainly wouldn't expect them to go to the shop and buy me halal meat.

That's fair enough then i thought you meant he would be over reacting by not wanting to eat the food.
Original post by Guru Jason
My question is that, is it still Halal meat if it has been stunned beforehand? The source you gave would suggest it is not.

The source suggests that it is open to interpretation. And if stunned meat is not Halal meat, then British Islam has a major crisis on it's hands if 90% of Halal meat is stunned.
Reply 67
I am a Muslim:

Would I be offended: No, you are entitled to your own opinions
Would I cook you non-halal meat: No, if you come to my house as a guest, you should respect my beliefs and I will respect yours. I wouldn't want to handle non-halal meat, as it is against my beliefs.

If I was a guest at your house, I wouldn't expect you to cook me halal meat if it was against your views, a veggie meal would be fine.

Should you tell me prior: Definitely. I would like to prepare some veggie food for you
Are you overreacting: No, again it's all your opinions and beliefs and I will respect that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Would you be offended if your Muslim friend refused to eat non-Halal meat?

Ask yourself that first.
Reply 69
Original post by pomegranat0
Who said halal meat is inhumane? There a petty media frenzy over halal meat, simply on Islamophobia, yet the same people have no clue what makes halal meat different. Honestly, how many people do know what makes it halal? Many Muslims themselves don't actually know, but they're strict to eat halal meat only. Too much ignorance.

halal meat means the animal is conscious when its throat is cut. so it can hear the prayer the slaughterer says before killing it (like a cow is going to understand a prayer lol)

it IS inhumane.

- non-halal slaughter- animal is 'stunned' (basically shot in the head with a bolt gun) before its throat is cut ot drain blood.
- halal slaughter- animals throat is cut with the animal conscious and feeling everything.

many muslims will try to condone this by saying the knife is so sharp the animal wont feel it.

but if someone was going to cut your throat to kill you, would you prefer them to shoot you in the head first, or just let you feel the full extent of it?
I'm a Muslim and no I wouldn't be offended but I'd rather you tell me you won't eat meat first so that I can serve you a veggie meal :biggrin:
This discussion is interesting and I have found looks of articles about how halal meat is good for you and my neighbour is a food dietician and nutritionist and eats only halal meat even though she is not Muslim as we do in my house!!!

Moroever, published scientists who are in this field have also published data on the benefits of halal!!!

It's just like research showing ow we should only eat veggies!!

But I believe we have molars for eating veggies and we have canines and incisors for eating meat!!

Also caged eggs are not halal either and I don't eat caged eggs either, neither is battery farming as this is unnatural for the animal as well as killing animals cruelly.

Also halal means allowed and what is halal is meat which is prepared in a clean environment so to be halal registeed you butchers have to be abiding by rules.

and I'm sure no one will say I don't want clean healthy meat by animals which were killed humanely and had a good diet and Healthy free range life!!! Ie kill animal quickly and don't show it other animals being killed.

Not halal foods are:
any product made from pig,e meat with blood, meat from animals which does itself from disease, any flesh eating animals, any animals which has been strangled, killed by fall etc

halal is not animals killed by electrocution or shooting as this is cruel

the reason they say the name of god is because they are not taking life thoughtlessly but for food with permission by god to whom the life is being returned.

If you do or do not eat halal then I respect you and always will but there is a cornucopia of ubiquitous benefits for eating halal.

The end
now where is the closest halal meat shop.....
I don't bother with halal anymore personally. But no I would not have been offended, and wouldn't make non-halal for you in the same way I wouldn't expect you to make halal food for me at your house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cattty
halal meat means the animal is conscious when its throat is cut. so it can hear the prayer the slaughterer says before killing it (like a cow is going to understand a prayer lol)

it IS inhumane.

- non-halal slaughter- animal is 'stunned' (basically shot in the head with a bolt gun) before its throat is cut ot drain blood.
- halal slaughter- animals throat is cut with the animal conscious and feeling everything.

many muslims will try to condone this by saying the knife is so sharp the animal wont feel it.

but if someone was going to cut your throat to kill you, would you prefer them to shoot you in the head first, or just let you feel the full extent of it?

It was a more humane way back in the Middle Ages for example, where people couldn't electrocute animals, and so were killed by other means which would be longer and more painful death, thus the halal way would make it more humane at that time. I don't bother with halal or non-halal anymore, I eat either. But it's best to understand the original concept of it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChocolateCream3
This discussion is interesting and I have found looks of articles about how halal meat is good for you and my neighbour is a food dietician and nutritionist and eats only halal meat even though she is not Muslim as we do in my house!!!

Moroever, published scientists who are in this field have also published data on the benefits of halal!!!

But I believe we have molars for eating veggies and we have canines and incisors for eating meat!!

Also caged eggs are not halal either and I don't eat caged eggs either, neither is battery farming as this is unnatural for the animal as well as killing animals cruelly.

Also halal means allowed and what is halal is meat which is prepared in a clean environment so to be halal registeed you butchers have to be abiding by rules.

and I'm sure no one will say I don't want clean healthy meat by animals which were killed humanely and had a good diet and Healthy free range life!!! Ie kill animal quickly and don't show it other animals being killed.

Not halal foods are:
any product made from pig,e meat with blood, meat from animals which does itself from disease, any flesh eating animals, any animals which has been strangled, killed by fall etc

the reason they say the name of god is because they are not taking life thoughtlessly but for food with permission by god to whom the life is being returned.

If you do or do not eat halal then I respect you and always will but there is a cornucopia of ubiquitous benefits for eating halal.

The end

By UK law, and animal that is electricuted or shot is unfit to eat, Halal or not.
Reply 75
[QUOTE='x[Aa$iyah]x;41842196']so youre telling me that an animal who is brain dead (for a longer period of time) suffers less than an animal who has their throat cut in a single incision??

obviously :rolleyes:

if you are brain dead, you cannot feel pain.
when you feel pain, the nerves carry the message to your brain and tell the brain what you are doing is causing pain.

if your brain is dead, your body cannot feel pain.

and fyi if you are brain dead, that is it, you are dead. people can be kept 'alive' using a life support machine but that is simply breathing for the person.

if an animal is brain dead, it has died, and dead things cannot feel pain.

honestly some people on here......:rolleyes:

I've just realised that i've ate Halal meat at a friends house a few years ago.

I'm still alive but that poor chicken.
Reply 77
Original post by ChocolateCream3

Not halal foods are:

The end

This totally doesn't read like an advertisment. I 100% this is legitimatley a non-Muslim with no agenda here...

WHy do people even bother with the pretence? :facepalm:
Reply 78
Original post by cake_lover
It was a more humane way back in the Middle Ages for example, where people couldn't electrocute animals, and so were killed by other means which would be longer and more painful death, thus the halal way would make it more humane at that time. I don't bother with halal or non-halal anymore, I eat either. But it's best to understand the original concept of it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

we have moved on a long way since the middle ages- think 'burn the witch', etc.

but as usual religion does a great job of holding society back from evolving and moving with the times.
Original post by Cattty

it IS inhumane.

Get over it. The animal feels pain. Even with a stun gun. I never said its painless with a sharp knife. Honestly, even with meat not halal, the conditions the animals are kept in today is horrendous. Try worrying about that.

Latest

Trending

Trending