The Student Room Group

UCLA vs. Bocconi? Help?

Hi guys,

I have offers from UCLA and Bocconi. The course at Bocconi is the BIEMF - international economics, management, and finance - and at UCLA I've been admitted for "Pre-Economics" (you can only declare econ as your major after a few semesters of fulfilling prerequisites). UCLA would be a 4-year course where I have to take "general education" classes whereas Bocconi would be 3 years solely on the topics relevant to my major. The UC system is also severely underfunded and it's very difficult to get the classes you want - many kids are taking 5 years to graduate because they're unable to get the classes they need to fulfill their requirements. Being a big state school, it's also easy to fall through the cracks there because there isn't much guidance and the system is pretty complicated to navigate.

Both schools seem to be ranked quite highly on worldwide rankings but as far as I can see Bocconi isn't very well known in the US (which is why I'm asking this on here rather than the American collegeconfidential, because I've noticed a lot more kids from the UK apply to Bocconi than from the US and hopefully know a little about it/this program). I want to keep my options open about where I end up working in the future - I'd love to be able to work both in the US and Europe. I'm really at a loss for what to do because there are pros and cons to both schools - any advice?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Ive only heard of UCLA. Just saying so you get an idea of their general reputation amongst your average person :P
Obviously, it all depends on your personal wants and needs. Bocconi will be closer to home, will be in Italy (if you like good food, fun-loving culture, lovely scenery/weather and renaissance art), and will set you up very nicely for a business career based in Europe. The course is one of the best of its kind, in a very international environment, which is another plus, and you'll get a feel for business culture in Milan, one of the most important business hubs in the world.

In the minuses column, you should be aware that Italian unis can be quite bureaucratic, confusing, overcrowded and poorly managed - I don't know how much these things apply to the BIEMF course, maybe they're actually not a problem. Also, I don't know how well you speak Italian - while the course is in English, most of the Bocconi students taking the other courses will not speak great English, and non-students will be even worse, which can be an annoyance. Plus Milan is not exactly your quintessential beautiful, ancient Italian city - it's modern and fast-paced (by Italian standards at least) and is low on other Italian charms such as culture and lovely architecture (although again, only comparatively - it's still got plenty of this!).

UCLA is obviously much better known by most people worldwide, although who knows, maybe it's known about equally well in the business world. If you want a first-class, well rounded education, you should go there. On a side note, you've done amazingly well do get in, many congrats! A lot of people would take the UCLA place without thinking about it, but I'd say it's a tough choice if you're very motivated to go all-out on the business career, especially if you want to work in Europe after you study.

UCLA pluses: Fantastic teachers, who really care about your progress and invest a lot of time in you. Fantastic campus life, where you'll be surrounded by hundreds of motivated and inspiring peers who are all super-engaged in a range of amazing activities. Loads of great extra curricular options (esp sport) - Bocconi will have much less of this. A wonderful "school spirit" that brings the whole campus together. Proximity to beach and great night life (and general opportunities) of LA. Weather. Comparatively laid-back lifestyle by US standards. Liberal arts curriculum means you might find other subject that you love. Stunning, beautiful campus, with superb facilities and accommodation on site (probably). Beautiful, diverse american students who all speak English (or at least "English"). 800% greater chance of glimpsing Brangelina.

UCLA minuses: You'll have to work REALLY hard. Dunno if you count this as a minus, but it'll be tougher than Bocconi, maybe a lot tougher. 21 drinking age. Polluted, unmanageable city in the middle of the desert with dreadful public transport. Not particularly business-focused overall, though I don't know anything about their economics dept - maybe it's fantastic. Cost - don't know if this is is a factor for you but it's obviously very expensive if you don't get aid.

Also, this can be a plus and a minus, but UCLA is huge. Think about whether you'd like to live on a campus packed with 40,000 students all the time.

There's a review of UCLA here you might find useful, and an overview of Italian unis here.
You might also find this thread interesting, though it's unclear how much some of the people there really know what they're talking about. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=682047
Reply 4
Mind if I ask what kind of grades you have? Straight "A:s" or something equivalent to this grading-system.

I wonder because I have also applied to the BIEMF programme at Bocconi(Spring Session), and I am going to take the Bocconi test 12th of April. Since you already got your offer, I guess you applied during the Winter session.
Reply 5
Hello, I'm a student attending Bocconi and I think the university is definitely more known in Europe than in the US :smile:
Nonetheless, some of the best US universities (among which Columbia, Yale,Princeton and so on) are partners in the Exchange Program of Bocconi...so I think it has a pretty good reputation overseas too.

In my experience, professors and TAs are well-prepared and always willing to help and clarify your doubts.
Lessons are interesting and stimulating - with some exceptions of course - and extracurricular activities are offered as well (sports, foreign languages, seminars, IT courses and so on).
The structure in itself is well-maintained, not overcrowded nor damaged at all. On the contrary, it's quite well-organized (unlike most italian universities).
I'd say the key strength of Bocconi is the placement, since it has lots of contacts with national and international companies..lots of company presentations and career events (where you can meet employers and drop your CV) are arranged.

Of course it's not all a bed of roses. Milan is not such an international city as it pretends to be, some parts of the city are really dirty and chaotic....and many Italians speak english but very few of them speak it properly. Finally, it's true that Italians account for the largest part of the student body...but BIEMF is not the only english taught course (the majority of the master's degrees are taught in English), so you'll find a goodly number of international students around!

I apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes eheh :smile:
Hope this will help you in making your choice!
Reply 6
^Very interesting. I've been admitted to a MSc. degree at Bocconi and will start this fall. :smile:
Reply 7
If you've been academically strong so far, the level of rigor at UCLA should not be too tough for you at all.

And I dunno about Bocconi (other than that they have a great business school that I'm considering applying to), but it'd be hard to match the networking and social opportunities you'd get in a city like LA. UCLA is very close to a beautiful part of the LA area, Santa Monica. And from LA, everything - beach, hiking, skiing, concerts, etc. - is in driving range.

Is money an issue? As an international student, you will have to procure own funding if you don't have a scholarship.
In my opinion you should go with UCLA. I am BIEMF student, and I've studied in the US, so I've seen both places. Bocconi is great, I enjoyed my time there, received good education, an opportunity to get into a top masters program, but still I think UCLA is a better choice. You should also consider that in the US most people get a job after 4 years undergrad, while a lot of Bocconi students decide to do a masters degree of 1-2 years, since their Bachelor is often not enough for a good position.
Original post by Deby_
Hello, I'm a student attending Bocconi and I think the university is definitely more known in Europe than in the US :smile: Nonetheless, some of the best US universities (among which Columbia, Yale,Princeton and so on) are partners in the Exchange Program of Bocconi...so I think it has a pretty good reputation overseas too. In my experience, professors and TAs are well-prepared and always willing to help and clarify your doubts. Lessons are interesting and stimulating - with some exceptions of course - and extracurricular activities are offered as well (sports, foreign languages, seminars, IT courses and so on). The structure in itself is well-maintained, not overcrowded nor damaged at all. On the contrary, it's quite well-organized (unlike most italian universities).I'd say the key strength of Bocconi is the placement, since it has lots of contacts with national and international companies..lots of company presentations and career events (where you can meet employers and drop your CV) are arranged. Of course it's not all a bed of roses. Milan is not such an international city as it pretends to be, some parts of the city are really dirty and chaotic....and many Italians speak english but very few of them speak it properly. Finally, it's true that Italians account for the largest part of the student body...but BIEMF is not the only english taught course (the majority of the master's degrees are taught in English), so you'll find a goodly number of international students around!I apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes eheh :smile:Hope this will help you in making your choice!
Hello,Just to clarify, last year 60% of the BIEMF intake consisted of international students. Next year the percentage is around 57.Arnstein Aassve
Reply 10
Hey, don't know if you've made your decision, but personally I think UCLA is generally more well-known internationally and starting in America will provide you with more opportunities. But if you like Europe, Bocconi is also a good choice. My lecturer was from there. He did great and went to US for PhD econ. gluck with ur decision!
Original post by Deby_
Hello, I'm a student attending Bocconi and I think the university is definitely more known in Europe than in the US :smile:
Nonetheless, some of the best US universities (among which Columbia, Yale,Princeton and so on) are partners in the Exchange Program of Bocconi...so I think it has a pretty good reputation overseas too.
In my experience, professors and TAs are well-prepared and always willing to help and clarify your doubts.
Lessons are interesting and stimulating - with some exceptions of course - and extracurricular activities are offered as well (sports, foreign languages, seminars, IT courses and so on).
The structure in itself is well-maintained, not overcrowded nor damaged at all. On the contrary, it's quite well-organized (unlike most italian universities).
I'd say the key strength of Bocconi is the placement, since it has lots of contacts with national and international companies..lots of company presentations and career events (where you can meet employers and drop your CV) are arranged.
Of course it's not all a bed of roses. Milan is not such an international city as it pretends to be, some parts of the city are really dirty and chaotic....and many Italians speak english but very few of them speak it properly. Finally, it's true that Italians account for the largest part of the student body...but BIEMF is not the only english taught course (the majority of the master's degrees are taught in English), so you'll find a goodly number of international students around!
I apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes eheh :smile:
Hope this will help you in making your choice!

Hello hope u are well just wanted to ask 11 years later on your perception of Bocconi since you must be working professionally somewhere. Could you plz share what a re u doing currently and how far did bocconi help u?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending