The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Essec

I am French/English and have offers from both Essec and Warwick for business undergraduate. Yet, I have no idea which university I should choose. The main determinant would be their individual reputations among employers, so if anyone knows anything in regard which university is better, please help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by El studente
I am French/English and have offers from both Essec and Warwick for business undergraduate. Yet, I have no idea which university I should choose. The main determinant would be their individual reputations among employers, so if anyone knows anything in regard which university is better, please help!

On a lot of rank tables I’ve seen, warwick is usually ranked higher. I live in colchester where a lot of campus is based and I’ve heard they are good for international students from my old geography teacher (shes from uk tho). I’d say either are quite good but i dont know much about warwick.

I’m assuming you’ll be living in the uni accommodation, if you decide to live in colchester most of the accommodation have pizza restaurants such as dominoes and pizza hut nearby and shops like the co op or tesco but it really depends on the area you choose to live in. Hope this helps x
Original post by xkatiexvioletx
On a lot of rank tables I’ve seen, warwick is usually ranked higher. I live in colchester where a lot of campus is based and I’ve heard they are good for international students from my old geography teacher (shes from uk tho). I’d say either are quite good but i dont know much about warwick.

I’m assuming you’ll be living in the uni accommodation, if you decide to live in colchester most of the accommodation have pizza restaurants such as dominoes and pizza hut nearby and shops like the co op or tesco but it really depends on the area you choose to live in. Hope this helps x

Just wanted to clarify im talking about the essex campus when talking about colchester :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xkatiexvioletx
Just wanted to clarify im talking about the essex campus when talking about colchester :smile:

Oh no, I'm talking about a French university called Essec not Essex, thanks anyway though.
Congrats on the offers from these amazing schools!!ESSEC is a highly ranked business school with a great reputation and status in Europe and especially France. While Warwick is good, it is not in the same league as ESSEC in terms of business development worldwide. Warwick will provide you with the necessary academic preparation while ESSEC will provide you both with the academics and the communication and leadership skills. Due to ESSEC's international program, you will be far more prepared to work in a multicultural environment as you will be required to learn multiple languages as well. Both schools are well known by employers so no need to worry about that. It really comes down to which environment you prefer, if you really want a well rounded international business program then ESSEC is the one!
Reply 5
Original post by vtgalasso
Congrats on the offers from these amazing schools!!ESSEC is a highly ranked business school with a great reputation and status in Europe and especially France. While Warwick is good, it is not in the same league as ESSEC in terms of business development worldwide. Warwick will provide you with the necessary academic preparation while ESSEC will provide you both with the academics and the communication and leadership skills. Due to ESSEC's international program, you will be far more prepared to work in a multicultural environment as you will be required to learn multiple languages as well. Both schools are well known by employers so no need to worry about that. It really comes down to which environment you prefer, if you really want a well rounded international business program then ESSEC is the one!

Thanks. The course I would apply for to Warwick is international management and their partner uni options are probably better than Essec's. Also, WBS is becoming a very valuable asset because the diploma is just growing in value. Yet, if Brexit happens then going to France may be a better option.
(edited 5 years ago)
First of all, congratulations on the offers from both Business Schools ! Both Warwick and ESSEC are well reputed business schools. I myself faced the same dilemma one year ago when I received an offer from both schools. However, I ended up choosing ESSEC Business School. While both degrees are highly recognised globally, ESSEC gives you the opportunity to do an intercampus mobility (you get the opportunity to study in any of its campuses in France, Singapore or Morocco) as well as pursue an operational and humanitarian internship. ESSEC also focuses on developing you hard and soft skills and you get to do a one year study abroad in any of its 160 partner institutions. As per the employers, I am sure you can easily find a job in both institutions. However, ESSEC is connected to many multinationals (eg. L’Oreal) giving you the opportunity to network and make strong business connections. In addition, ESSEC encourages you to pursue languages (you have a choice to learn a new language and you have options such as Japanese, Chinese, Italian and Spanish. Learning new languages can prepare you for the international market and to go global !Moreover, the degree at ESSEC is 4 years whereas in the UK it tends to be a three year degree unless you do a study abroad in another country.Having visited both campuses, I can tell you that both schools are exceptionally well recognised. However, I would choose ESSEC due to the intercampus mobility, strong connections you can build with companies and due to the hard and soft skills you will develop over the 4 years as well as learning new languages and working in an international environment.Hope this helped, and good luck !
Reply 7
Original post by Kareena1407
First of all, congratulations on the offers from both Business Schools ! Both Warwick and ESSEC are well reputed business schools. I myself faced the same dilemma one year ago when I received an offer from both schools. However, I ended up choosing ESSEC Business School. While both degrees are highly recognised globally, ESSEC gives you the opportunity to do an intercampus mobility (you get the opportunity to study in any of its campuses in France, Singapore or Morocco) as well as pursue an operational and humanitarian internship. ESSEC also focuses on developing you hard and soft skills and you get to do a one year study abroad in any of its 160 partner institutions. As per the employers, I am sure you can easily find a job in both institutions. However, ESSEC is connected to many multinationals (eg. L’Oreal) giving you the opportunity to network and make strong business connections. In addition, ESSEC encourages you to pursue languages (you have a choice to learn a new language and you have options such as Japanese, Chinese, Italian and Spanish. Learning new languages can prepare you for the international market and to go global !Moreover, the degree at ESSEC is 4 years whereas in the UK it tends to be a three year degree unless you do a study abroad in another country.Having visited both campuses, I can tell you that both schools are exceptionally well recognised. However, I would choose ESSEC due to the intercampus mobility, strong connections you can build with companies and due to the hard and soft skills you will develop over the 4 years as well as learning new languages and working in an international environment.Hope this helped, and good luck !

Thank you for such a detailed response, it's been very helpful. Are you doing the Global BBA?
I’m glad it helped !

Yes I am.
Reply 9
I have a few questions because I have to confirm my choice of university soon, what is the ratio of French to international students? And where are the international students from? Also, how is the accommodation and Cergy as a town? What is the student to faculty ratio in the GBBA? Does one apply for scholarships after making the 2500 euro deposit?Most importantly, are ESSEC GBBA offers unconditional? Thanks in advance!
Original post by Kareena1407
I’m glad it helped!

Yes I am.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
hii, where did you choose to go finally? I am going to apply this year!!!
Original post by nnanan

Hi @nnanan :smile:

Best of luck with your applications. If you are looking at applying to Warwick Business School for your undergraduate degree, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about a particular course or provide you with some more information about life on campus just let me know!

Francesca
WBS Official Rep
Reply 12

I am in the same situation, which one did you end up choosing?
Reply 13
Original post by nnanan

Hey, did you get accepted ?
Original post by Caye12
I am in the same situation, which one did you end up choosing?

I chose ESSEC and I think I made the right choice.
Reply 15
ESSEC is a useless degree in undergraduate. France works with prepa and grand ecole. Would be completely nuts to pick ESSEC over Warwick :smile:
I chose ESSEC and I think I made the right choice.

Hi, I am planning to apply to ESSEC for their Global BBA program. Could you let me know more about your time at ESSEC and how is the university like. Thanks!
Reply 17
Hi France works with prepa and GE. These alumni won't help or recognize your diploma afterwards by hate against you (they had to do prepa). Go to other b-schools that are cheaper and with better ROI :smile:
Hi, I actually don't know much about France and so I don't really know what Prepa and GE really are. Could you please give me some more details on it. How would a degree at ESSEC be if I am planning to work outside France?
Also what are some other good universities that you would suggest for Business, that I can still apply to. I don't think I can Erasmus anymore.
Reply 19
Actually high school, students go to prepa (two preparatory years) prepare to pass a national contest. They are then ranked and the best go to the first second and so on schools. This is called the Grande Ecole master program. This has always been the traditional route for the best students in France. They just recently created the bachelor to bypass this but prepa students won't accept them to bypass the prepa (which is really tough). That is why I recommend to go elsewhere but you can bet on the fact that recruiters don't do the difference between both but then the quality of students between prepa and GE and bachelor is clearly not the same. I would apply next year to RSM, SSE or HSG. You are young, try to do some internships/travel until you come back with a stronger and cheaper option 🙂 You are not at one year close for your future!!!
(edited 4 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending