The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

BIAD- Art and Design Foundation

Scroll to see replies

Hi :smile: I only found this thread today. (I feel slightly awkward butting into an already developed thread,) but I also have an offer for the course, and I am quite nervous, yet excited to start the course :smile:

I really wanted to say hi, to you guys, as you will be on the course with me :biggrin: (I made an account so I could do so) There are also two other guys from my sixth form, that have accepted places on this course.

At the moment I study A-Level Fine Art, Maths, and Geography, and I also have an AS in Applied Art and Design, so I am very into the Fine Art aspect, but you never know, this could change.

I haven't actually visited the place, so what is it like? But I know people that have been and really love the course, and one of my teachers studied there back in that day and he loved it.

I live in Walsall, and will be travelling everyday.

Oh... btw I am Charlotte, nice to meet you :biggrin:
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by CurlyConverse
Hi :smile: I only found this thread today. (I feel slightly awkward butting into an already developed thread,) but I also have an offer for the course, and I am quite nervous, yet excited to start the course :smile:

I really wanted to say hi, to you guys, as you will be on the course with me :biggrin: (I made an account so I could do so) There are also two other guys from my sixth form, that have accepted places on this course.

At the moment I study A-Level Fine Art, Maths, and Geography, and I also have an AS in Applied Art and Design, so I am very into the Fine Art aspect, but you never know, this could change.

I haven't actually visited the place, so what is it like? But I know people that have been and really love the course, and one of my teachers studied there back in that day and he loved it.

I live in Walsall, and will be travelling everyday.

Hi Charlotte, I'm Emma :biggrin:
Bournville's super pretty and it's near Cadbury World, so the place smells like chocolate ^.^ where we study looks really small, but it's actually really big inside, in my opinion (kinda like the Tardis) and there's a separate library across the road :smile:
How did you not have an interview btw?
omg, from Walsall?? That's quite a while away, how are you travelling? :redface:
Original post by Pumpkinja
Hi Charlotte, I'm Emma :biggrin:
Bournville's super pretty and it's near Cadbury World, so the place smells like chocolate ^.^ where we study looks really small, but it's actually really big inside, in my opinion (kinda like the Tardis) and there's a separate library across the road :smile:
How did you not have an interview btw?
omg, from Walsall?? That's quite a while away, how are you travelling? :redface:

Hi Emma :smile: OMG! The smell of chocolate, I can see I will be hungry all the time. Well I actually applied for the BA hons Fine Art course, but they gave me a place on this course instead :')

I recently passed my driving test, so hopefully I will be driving everyday, if not it will be a bus, and two trains...
Reply 83
hello!
i've recently been interviewed/accepted onto the course and i'm really excited :h:
wondering if any other people will be living in city centre accommodation? and what your plan is for travelling to and from bournville??
and my names Felicity :smile:
Reply 84
Hi Emma :smile: OMG! The smell of chocolate, I can see I will be hungry all the time. Well I actually applied for the BA hons Fine Art course, but they gave me a place on this course instead :')

I recently passed my driving test, so hopefully I will be driving everyday, if not it will be a bus, and two trains...

oh, chocolate<3
Ohh, okay :P & petrol is gonna cost you a fortune! :eek:
Do you have your own car then? :P

Original post by :)fee
hello!
i've recently been interviewed/accepted onto the course and i'm really excited :h:
wondering if any other people will be living in city centre accommodation? and what your plan is for travelling to and from bournville??

Hi! :smile:
I'm really excited too :biggrin:
I don't have any accommodation because I live here anyway, but I'm getting the bus there and back :P
If you live in the city center, you can get the 50 bus into Kings Heath, then catch the 27 bus into Bournville, and that drops you right outside where we study :P (although this journey will probably take a couple hours)
I also think there's a train, but I'm not 100% sure :smile:
Reply 85

Original post by :)fee
hello!

Hello and welcome to both if you! Feel free to bump in any time :smile: the discussion keeps the thread alive, which in turn helps other applicants see it.

As everyone says, the whole of Bournville smells like chocolate. It's a lovely, pretty village, although the samosas at the local bakery aren't that great.

If you look further back in the thread, we've already started discussing accomodation a little. Seems like if you're looking for uni accomodation, you won't get a place before you get your results. If you're looking to rent, I know that my town (which is a tram-train / bus-bus away) does decently priced accomodation, as do some Birmingham neighbourhoods.
Original post by Pumpkinja
oh, chocolate<3
Ohh, okay :P & petrol is gonna cost you a fortune! :eek:
Do you have your own car then? :P

I know it will :frown: Not at the moment I don't, I am currently looking at the moment. It's either a car, or two trains plus a walk to the train station for me. However it does look like quite a few people have a fair bit of travelling to do themselves :smile:
Has anyone else received the email from BIAD saying congratulations for a successful application, and that:

"We will be forwarding further information and timetables during the summer along with information on your enrolment and induction in September. In the meantime, we have set up a Facebook group so that you can get to know each other in advance of September."

Just thought I would inform you if you haven't.
:smile:
Reply 88
I know it will :frown: Not at the moment I don't, I am currently looking at the moment. It's either a car, or two trains plus a walk to the train station for me. However it does look like quite a few people have a fair bit of travelling to do themselves :smile:

I wish I could drive, but it's too expensive/I live near all the bus routes anyway, so it's kind of pointless for me :smile:
Yeah, Bournville's a bit of an awkward place to get to :tongue:
Reply 89
Has anyone else received the email from BIAD saying congratulations for a successful application, and that:

"We will be forwarding further information and timetables during the summer along with information on your enrolment and induction in September. In the meantime, we have set up a Facebook group so that you can get to know each other in advance of September."

Just thought I would inform you if you haven't.
:smile:

Joined :smile: quite a few people there already, looking good.
Reckon someone should post a link to this thread?
Reply 90
Hey,
I'm probably going to be doing foundation at BCU next year too!! Have paid my deposit for my room in accommodation at Curzon gateway. Not keen on the area around opal1!! Is anyone else not from Birmingham or is it just me...? :P
Reply 91
Original post by ellie.4
Hey,
I'm probably going to be doing foundation at BCU next year too!! Have paid my deposit for my room in accommodation at Curzon gateway. Not keen on the area around opal1!! Is anyone else not from Birmingham or is it just me...? :P

Looking at the Facebook group for our course, the are a lot of people moving to Birmingham, and definitely a dozen or so from abroad!
Reply 92
Hey, I lived in Opal 1 for a year and did the foundation course in art and design in bourneville. to be honest, opal 1 is pretty pants. yeah you are close to town (only a bus ride or walk it - 15 mins) and close to broad st. (10 mins) taxi. but the overall experience is that its quite quiet but if your into that then go ahead. also dont book accomodation with the university, there is no point you wont end up getting your first choice and your gonna prob be stuck somewhere like the coppice which is like 2 trains away. or i think 3 busses. it is the closest accomodation but you still have to get 2 buses to get there. book your accomodation directly go to it direct or book on the phone. it is a nice place to live. if you have any questions about the course just buzz me.x
Reply 93
Original post by dubaigs30
Hey, I lived in Opal 1 for a year and did the foundation course in art and design in bourneville. to be honest, opal 1 is pretty pants. yeah you are close to town (only a bus ride or walk it - 15 mins) and close to broad st. (10 mins) taxi. but the overall experience is that its quite quiet but if your into that then go ahead. also dont book accomodation with the university, there is no point you wont end up getting your first choice and your gonna prob be stuck somewhere like the coppice which is like 2 trains away. or i think 3 busses. it is the closest accomodation but you still have to get 2 buses to get there. book your accomodation directly go to it direct or book on the phone. it is a nice place to live. if you have any questions about the course just buzz me.x

Hi! How did you find the course itself? Any protips or things to watch out for?
When are the major deadlines?
Does anyone know if I have applied to two schools(one uni and one college) for art and design foundation, and now I am definitely sure that I am going to bcu, so I need to inform another school that I am not joining them or wait until results day?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
hey yeah the course was amazing. teaches you things that people in uni dont even know. but the course is very independant. meaning you have to be on top for your deadlines. there are 3 bits to the course - exploratory stage (you range to doing i think it was about 7 different things over 1 or 2 weeks.) then you find a subject your interested in, and then its the pathway stage you do a project which they give you to complete. if you dont hand in stuff on time, you will either fail or if youve got a good excuse they will give you more time. i did theatre design and i designed a stage for a known book. then its the confirimation stage where you pick a project and give it in on the deadline. by giving it in we had to just drop our portfolios and work off then go back home lol. and they usualy mark it within a week and give you individual feedback. the only annoying thing about the location of the place your going to be in. is that youve only got like a few shops, a bakery and a post office, your not in central bham, but selly oak is about 20 mins away if you walk. overall wicked course. any questions buzz.xx
Reply 96
Hello, I'm going to BCU next year but I'm living at home (I'll have to leave the house at like 7 every morning hahahah.....) but anyway has anyone received their email about enrolment yet?!
Original post by Emilylawx
Hello, I'm going to BCU next year but I'm living at home (I'll have to leave the house at like 7 every morning hahahah.....) but anyway has anyone received their email about enrolment yet?!

Yes received it few days ago(:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dubaigs30

Do u mean we should book directly from CRM students? If we are stayin in opal one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by Emilylawx

If you still haven't received it, I urge you to phone up BIAD admissions and bring this up with them. I waited a week and a half after submitting my results to them (on results day!) without getting anything before I called. Turns out someone forgot to update my results on their system :/ got the email a day after that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending