The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

BCU Journalism

an someone please help me with the following question. I've recently started Journalism at Birmingham City University (BCU) having considered a few other universities but the multimedia facilities at BCU influenced me greatly in making it my first choice.
However, when I look at some of the recent uni tables, it ranks very low in terms of journalism and overall degree outcomes in the country is virtually at the bottom.
I'm starting to wonder if I have made a bad choice coming here. Interested in any thoughts anyone may have on BCU (teaching, journalism and reasons for such low degree outcomes) and if I can attain a good degree outcome at BCU as I don't want to waste 3 years working hard with a low probability of a good degree?
Thanks all
Thank you for your help
Original post by walkerro
an someone please help me with the following question. I've recently started Journalism at Birmingham City University (BCU) having considered a few other universities but the multimedia facilities at BCU influenced me greatly in making it my first choice.
However, when I look at some of the recent uni tables, it ranks very low in terms of journalism and overall degree outcomes in the country is virtually at the bottom.
I'm starting to wonder if I have made a bad choice coming here. Interested in any thoughts anyone may have on BCU (teaching, journalism and reasons for such low degree outcomes) and if I can attain a good degree outcome at BCU as I don't want to waste 3 years working hard with a low probability of a good degree?
Thanks all
Thank you for your help

Hi @walkerro

So glad to hear you're starting at BCU! Although I study Fashion Design and not Journalism, I though I could help. I had a similar situation when choosing my university as a lot of the most recognised or successful fashion schools are in London. However, I tried to overlook the rankings to see what the actual university is like and if I would enjoy studying there. I know it can be difficult to overlook league tables and degree outcomes, but I'm a strong believer in that the right hard working student can still highly achieve, no matter where they are.

As a university as a whole, BCU has been great for me and not just in regards to my course - but also with extra curricular activities and being able to get involved with wider university life.

If you're still concerned, I would try your best to enjoy your induction week and your first week of classes to gage how you feel about the course. And don't be afraid to approach your tutors to ask them their thoughts on your situation, as they can perhaps give you a greater insight into alumni successes and the course that might help with your concerns about the course.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask any more questions! Best of luck starting next week.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending