The Student Room Group

Is an MBA in Human Resources better or doing bachelors in Software Engineering?

I came to usa a couple months back for my studies.. Im kinda confused with what courses to take. im 17 and starting college. As far as my personal interest is concerned i want to be Masters in Software engineering, but the people here have discouraged me alot. they say there arent any jobs for this field. they say its hard for a girl to study software and all.. my second option would be a doing an MBA in human resources or an MBA in Aviation.
basically what i want from everyone is opinions and suggestions on what to do and which career would be highest paying?
Reply 1
Rofl, whoever told you there's no demand for people with software engineering degrees is a fool. And whoever told you it's hard for girls to study software may or may not be mildly sexist.

If you want to eventually go for a master's in software engineering, get a bachelor's in computer science. We need more women in the tech industry.
Original post by Saniya2112
I came to usa a couple months back for my studies.. Im kinda confused with what courses to take. im 17 and starting college. As far as my personal interest is concerned i want to be Masters in Software engineering, but the people here have discouraged me alot. they say there arent any jobs for this field. they say its hard for a girl to study software and all.. my second option would be a doing an MBA in human resources or an MBA in Aviation.
basically what i want from everyone is opinions and suggestions on what to do and which career would be highest paying?

I have to say that I spat out of cup of tea when I read about it "being hard for a girl" to study software. Whoever said that to you is an absolute joker. This is 2013, not 1813. If you have a passion for Computing and want to do a Software Engineering Degree, then go for it. To say that you would struggle doing it on account of your gender, is the biggest pile of poop I have seen in my life.
Original post by Saniya2112

A MBA is more for people with some work experience and already a Bachelor or Master. As you are 17 and speak of starting college, there are three possibilities:

1) You are studying in the USA and haven't decided on your major yet. Nevertheless the MBA is not an alternative.

2) You are 17 and you already hold a degree. => Unlikely considering your question.

3) You are in the UK, college means you are doing A Levels. => Why are you posting your question in the international study forum?!?!

Nevertheless as long as you a genuine talent and passion for software engineering/computer science then go for it and try to get into a course, which gives you a lot of possibilites. If you only do it for the money, forget it. (Or try out before, if programming is something for you. It won't neceaarily be your primary job, but without the degree will be :s-smilie:)

I would say: try and inform you! Your three options (Aviation, Human Resources, Software Engineering) are quite different, although not necessarily far away from each other.

To need to do good work, you need talent, passion and discipline. -> To earn a lot of money, you need to do good work.
Reply 4
Original post by Lencias
Rofl, whoever told you there's no demand for people with software engineering degrees is a fool. And whoever told you it's hard for girls to study software may or may not be mildly sexist.

If you want to eventually go for a master's in software engineering, get a bachelor's in computer science. We need more women in the tech industry.

Thanks alot for your opinion, and just for your info i know that i need to get a bachelors or associates degree first.
Reply 5
Original post by Nathanielle
A MBA is more for people with some work experience and already a Bachelor or Master. As you are 17 and speak of starting college, there are three possibilities:

1) You are studying in the USA and haven't decided on your major yet. Nevertheless the MBA is not an alternative.

2) You are 17 and you already hold a degree. => Unlikely considering your question.

3) You are in the UK, college means you are doing A Levels. => Why are you posting your question in the international study forum?!?!

Nevertheless as long as you a genuine talent and passion for software engineering/computer science then go for it and try to get into a course, which gives you a lot of possibilites. If you only do it for the money, forget it. (Or try out before, if programming is something for you. It won't neceaarily be your primary job, but without the degree will be :s-smilie:)

I would say: try and inform you! Your three options (Aviation, Human Resources, Software Engineering) are quite different, although not necessarily far away from each other.

To need to do good work, you need talent, passion and discipline. -> To earn a lot of money, you need to do good work.

Well i wasnt living in the UK , but I did complete my As levels, therefore according USA i need to go to college first.and thats the reason im confused with what subjects to take
Well, I'm gonna go with Software Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending