The Student Room Group

What should my main focus be if i want to go onto software engineering?

I am currently in year 11 and i aspire to do software engineering in uni and as a career. However i am aware that software engineering needs excellent programming skills. As of right now, I am extremely strong in my GCSES getting 7-9s in everything however my programming is quite average, but still better than most in my class. Should i focus on achieving 9s in my gcses right now, or should i focus on improving my programming skills? what do employers/uni prefer.
Unis don't care if you've ever programmed before for CS/software engineering degrees. That said note that programming is often a very small part of a degree in computer science.

For degree apprenticeships I don't think it's normally expected although some may look for this.
Agreed.
Focus mainly on securing your Maths grade. This is the most important thing at GCSE, for entry onto A level Maths.
You can always practise coding through the summer
Original post by fallxcy
I am currently in year 11 and i aspire to do software engineering in uni and as a career. However i am aware that software engineering needs excellent programming skills. As of right now, I am extremely strong in my GCSES getting 7-9s in everything however my programming is quite average, but still better than most in my class. Should i focus on achieving 9s in my gcses right now, or should i focus on improving my programming skills? what do employers/uni prefer.

Hi!

Yes to iterate as others have said you've got awhile to improve upon your programming. You basically only really improve via practice and that will come and you continue your GCSEs and A-levels! I'd recommend focusing on getting amazing GCSEs (which it sounds like you are well on the way to achieving!) and also keeping an eye on your maths as that's the main thing (A-level wise) that universities will look at to accept you onto Computer Science programs.

If you want to get ahead then the summer after GCSEs I'd recommend doing some projects in the language you will study at A-level. You can find some great tutorials on Youtube or if you prefer something more structured W3Schools is also a great resource.

As for a Comp Sci degree they can technically be done with zero programming knowledge although the more you do have the easier it will be 🙂

As for right now it seems like your doing everything that you need to so let yourself be proud - you're ahead of the game! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending