The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering

I am stuck between mechanical and aerospace engineering.
Is it easier to get a job with a mechanical engineering degree than an aerospace degree.
Can I do a bachelor in mechanical then a masters in aerospace
Does a mechanical engineering degree require heavy lifting
Would I only need a BEng in mechanical engineering to secure a job
What does a mechanical engineer job consist of because I’m always confused if it is like being a mechanic.
Reply 1
Original post by Sameerah_05
I am stuck between mechanical and aerospace engineering.
Is it easier to get a job with a mechanical engineering degree than an aerospace degree.
What does a mechanical engineer job consist of because I’m always confused if it is like being a mechanic.

Is it easier to get a job with a mechanical engineering degree than an aerospace degree. I think Mech Eng is more flexible
Can I do a bachelor in mechanical then a masters in aerospace Yes
Does a mechanical engineering degree require heavy lifting No some courses are so theoretical you'll never do any practical. In other you can do Formula Student and help build a racing car.
Would I only need a BEng in mechanical engineering to secure a job Yes
What does a mechanical engineer job consist of because I’m always confused if it is like being a mechanic. No,

https://www.imeche.org/careers-education/careers-information/what-is-mechanical-engineering
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/mechanical-engineering
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Is it easier to get a job with a mechanical engineering degree than an aerospace degree. I think Mech Eng is more flexible
Can I do a bachelor in mechanical then a masters in aerospace Yes
Does a mechanical engineering degree require heavy lifting No some courses are so theoretical you'll never do any practical. In other you can do Formula Student and help build a racing car.
Would I only need a BEng in mechanical engineering to secure a job Yes
What does a mechanical engineer job consist of because I’m always confused if it is like being a mechanic. No,

https://www.imeche.org/careers-education/careers-information/what-is-mechanical-engineering
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/mechanical-engineering

Thank you for giving me such direct answers as there is no confusion. This makes me feel much more better about what I want to pursue.
Would you recommend I do an MEng or a BEng in mechanical engineering or should I decide that when I properly start the course.
Reply 3
Thank you for giving me such direct answers as there is no confusion. This makes me feel much more better about what I want to pursue.
Would you recommend I do an MEng or a BEng in mechanical engineering or should I decide that when I properly start the course.

I think a degree with a year in industry is the one to go for. A BEng is enough uness you want to go into an area where Chartered staus is important. At most unis you can swap between the two [but do check] - you need to be achieving a 2i at the end of your second year to carry on to a MEng.

There is a huge variation in courses - most of my students now tend to go for non-RG where the teaching tends to be more up-to-date [new software, use of 3D printing [one students used this in 2013] etc. ]

Can you see yourself in a design role? Big company/small? One of my ex-students is in a small company where every job is a one-off so has learned far more than another in a big company.

Probably yes. Mechanical is broader and more industries are aware of what it entails.

Yes.

None whatsoever.

Yes, but you're a more competitive candidate with a masters (MEng or MSc).

Can vary so much depending on the role and sector, but it'll be mostly on the computer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending