The Student Room Group

what is pKa?

I don't understand the point of pKa.

I understand Ka is the acid dissociation constant, but what does pKa signify?

Also in my text book, it says "the pH range in which an indicator changes colour is approximately equal to pKa±1". What does that mean?
Original post by eggfriedrice
I don't understand the point of pKa.

I understand Ka is the acid dissociation constant, but what does pKa signify?

Also in my text book, it says "the pH range in which an indicator changes colour is approximately equal to pKa±1". What does that mean?

pKa is just a way of representing acid strength without all of the very small numbers.

The 'p' system (i.e. -log10) allows us to write very small numbers as simple, easy to understand numbers between 0 and 30 ish
Reply 2
Original post by charco
pKa is just a way of representing acid strength without all of the very small numbers.

The 'p' system (i.e. -log10) allows us to write very small numbers as simple, easy to understand numbers between 0 and 30 ish

So it's similar to pH and [H+]?
Reply 3
In some ways yes as a small pKa value signifies a higher pH.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So it's similar to pH and [H+]?

It's exactly the same idea. That's what the 'p' stands for in pH.

You have:

pka
pkb
pkw
pH
pOH

always -log10 of the concept ...
Reply 5

The indicator being referred to is an acid of form HInd participating in an equilibrium in the solution, HInd <-> H+ + Ind-. Both Ind- and HInd are coloured and Ind- is most prevalent under alkaline conditions whereas HInd dominates in acidic conditions. KInd=[Ind-][H+]/[HInd] so [Ind-]/[HInd]=KInd/[H+]=10pH-pKInd.

Essentially, what your book is saying is that when [HInd] is 10 times greater than [Ind-] or more, then only the colour of HInd is visible, and the same is true for Ind-. This creates a calculable pH range (plug in the values to the equation I wrote and see) which comes to 1 unit in either direction of the exact pH at which [HInd]=[Ind-], which is the pH in the middle, which is equivalent to the pKInd of your indicator. (When they say pKa they really mean pKInd, but it's ok to use either here because the indicator in this case is decidedly an acid.)
Reply 6
Lol I don't see the point either, if a low pH already indicates strong ionization in water hence stong dissociation what's the point of pKa?
Original post by Lelyke
Lol I don't see the point either, if a low pH already indicates strong ionization in water hence stong dissociation what's the point of pKa?

The pH is concentration dependent, the pka is a constant.

pka gives a measure of acid strength while pH is a function of both acid strength and concentration.
Reply 8
Original post by Lelyke

charco summed up the crucial point but I would just add more broadly that pH is a property of the solution as a whole, which could contain anything - any amount of your starting acid, any other acid, any bases, any buffers, any salts, etc. - whereas the pKa refers specifically to your acid to give an idea of how far its dissociation will go (or at least the equilibrium constant describing that dissociation).
Reply 9
Oh that makes sense!
Reply 10
It's an easier way of presenting the information, rather like pH instead of concentration of H+ atoms.

Quick Reply

Latest